Menu

How much do you read a day?

Home The Lounge How much do you read a day?

Participant

Other recent reads:
    Shoe Dog
    Howard Stern Comes Again
    Bad Blood
    I’ll Be Gone In The Dark
    Beautiful Boy

All really good in their own way.

#234049 Reply
    Participant

When asked if I’d want to survive various medical catastrophes, my question is usually “Could I still read?” It’s a huge part of my life. I’ve gone down from ~50 books per year to ~25 since I started using much of my non-work time to make videos, but reading is still essential and nonnegotiable. From a retirement/financial point of view, this practice is very useful, because it’s the one basic thing I need for entertainment, and it’s cheap. I like hiking, biking, cooking and entertaining too, and they share this financial quality. No need to figure out financing a more expensive hobby. Yes fiction! Yes nonfiction!

#234051 Reply
    Participant

My Aftershokz are ok, but not good with mountain biking.

#234073 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Does reading music count?

#234074 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

My Aftershokz are ok, but not good with mountain biking.

Click to expand…

Then almost perfect 😉.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#234075 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

When asked if I’d want to survive various medical catastrophes, my question is usually “Could I still read?” It’s a huge part of my life. I’ve gone down from ~50 books per year to ~25 since I started using much of my non-work time to make videos, but reading is still essential and nonnegotiable. From a retirement/financial point of view, this practice is very useful, because it’s the one basic thing I need for entertainment, and it’s cheap. I like hiking, biking, cooking and entertaining too, and they share this financial quality. No need to figure out financing a more expensive hobby. Yes fiction! Yes nonfiction!

Click to expand…

I think that people who like to read are rarely bored.

#234084 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

It is amazing how much content there is to read. I have a very narrow interest and even still there is no end in sight. I have enough in my queue to keep me busy for several years. I add more faster then I read. A good problem to have.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#234087 Reply
    Liked by Antares, Zaphod, Anne
    Participant

I generally have at least one audiobook and one written book going at any given time. Probably average an hour/day audiobook and anywhere from .5 hr to 2 hrs (weekends) reading with my eyeballs. I like audiobooks because I tend to jump around with actual books and read them out of order/flip and see what’s going on in a few chapters. Also I like to listen while driving/walking the dog/doing chores/knitting/etc.

#234146 Reply
    Liked by Antares, hatton1
    Participant

I have 2 audiobooks per month subscription but if I know I’m not going to listen to again I return it.  I also buy in bulk when they have $5 books or 2 for 1 deals so probably 3-4 per month.  I wax and wane on physical books. Sometimes I go to library or by at physical book store but only have time to read 3-4 per year recently. Before Audible and getting married I read 1-2 books per month with some periods of much higher consumption.

>98% of books read are non-fiction over my lifetime, excluding assigned reading in high school and college. I thought I would break that with trying GOT series but I just am not into it no matter how good it is. I’ve also tried War and Peace and Ayn Rand books but I just find fiction so so hard to read or listen to. It all seem so trivial…

I currently put Audible on hold to listen to my favorite 5-6 books from last few years and have also been venturing out to listen to more long-form podcasts at least through the summer. I re-listen to the Nasim Taleb and Yuval Harari books every 6-9 months. Antifragile is so good and is probably my favorite. I could go on but I won’t.

#234198 Reply

Kindle unlimited is a savior. Usually go through 3-5 books a week, as the Kindle goes everywhere I do and reading can happen anywhere.

Waiting for a oil change? Reading. Waiting for food in the microwave? Reading. Add in an hour each night while in bed and it adds up. I find it calms the brain down and I get better sleep.

My only complaint is Kindle’s recommendation system kind of sucks. It needs a “not interested” feature. I read a fiction book where the protagonist had a harem of wives ONE TIME and now my recommendations are filled with harem suggestions. Awkward. 😛

#234237 Reply

Reply To: How much do you read a day?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear