Menu

House cleaner service questions

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting House cleaner service questions

•  tomato14 
    Participant

Hi, we’ve been using a Molly Maid type service once every two weeks and finding that they’re not cutting it.  We’re looking into getting a personal house cleaner on a weekly basis (maybe more).  In particular, looking for someone who can do a deeper clean than just swiping counters and twirling toilet brushes in the bowl.  Wondering if anyone else has experience with a personal house cleaner and can offer any sage advice as to how to screen them?  Also, if you have a personal house cleaner, what’s your approximate expense for this service?

Thanks!

#169865 Reply
     JBME 
    Participant

my experience is how much they cost is very much dependent on where you live….it’s highly variable. Also, just be aware that probably no matter who you get, no one is going to do as good a job as cleaning your home as you would because you care the most. Just lower standards a bit to say “well, it’s clean enough.” As for how to screen, I’d ask your neighbors to see if they have any house cleaners and if their cleaners have room in their schedule. If you trust your neighbors, that’s a pretty good screen.

#169872 Reply
     jz 
    Participant

Use personal recommendations. Be open to the housecleaner bringing  small children along if necessary for her. Our housecleaner of 20 years, is the wife of a paramedic I’ve worked with. She charges $30/hr.

Tax-wise, she is an independent  contractor;  provides her own supplies, makes her own schedule, and has other clients.

#169882 Reply
    Liked by SPlum
    Drop it into MD Drop it into MD 
    Participant

Personal recommendation is the way to go.

We have some one come every 2 weeks and it was $75 a time but we just got a bigger hours and now it is $125.  Darn lifestyle inflation.

#169886 Reply
    Liked by SPlum
    NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

Our house cleaner came to us as a recommendation from our local physician mom group on Facebook – we pay $120 every two weeks, which does work out to around $30/hour. We do have to supply our own cleaning supplies though, which kind of sucks but whatever, the house gets cleaned and we are happy.

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#169887 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant
    weekly basis (maybe more)

Click to expand…

what the hell are you doing in the house?!

#169891 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Peds-Binge watch Dexter and you’ll get it.

#169896 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    • Get references of a couple of people s/he has worked for.
    • If she has her own business, ask about workmen’s comp. If the person/company isn’t covered, you could be liable for medical expenses for any injuries s/he incurred while cleaning your house.
    • If she doesn’t have her own business, you’ll have to file a W2 and pay FICA taxes on her if you pay her enough. Most employers pay both sides. You can do this once/yr with your 1040.
    • Lay out expectations in advance. Much easier than going back later and saying “this isn’t what I expected”.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#169897 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Don’t have much to add except to echo what others have noted — the hourly rate is quite a bit higher than you’d expect. Ours makes basically $25-30/hr.

Just like with a nanny I would be super explicit right up front no vague stuff.

#169909 Reply
     wideopenspaces 
    Participant

We asked around for recs. The two women who clean our house weekly also pet sit so it’s been awesome for us. I love them so much! Definitely the best money I’ve ever spent. We pay $30/hr. I keep the house pretty tidy so they’re able to clean thoroughly and quickly. If there’s ever anything extra I want them to do, we just discuss it and it gets done.

#169984 Reply
     okayplayer 
    Participant

Pay cash

#170054 Reply
    Liked by adventure
     okayplayer 
    Participant

I find staying under the $2100 annual limit to be good motivation to keep this service to a minimum/pay the lowest price possible. Much easier to avoid the extra paperwork by staying under the limit for household employees IMO.

#170056 Reply
     childay 
    Participant

We just got some new ones and they are also not doing as good a job as previous.  I plan on making a detailed list for them and seeing if that helps.  I would think most of it was extremely obvious but..

$100 every 2 weeks is the rate

#170061 Reply
     DCdoc 
    Participant

We pay $150 every 2 weeks.  I guess this puts us over the $2100 tax requirement limit.

#170066 Reply
     Bmac 
    Participant
    • Get references of a couple of people s/he has worked for.
    • If she has her own business, ask about workmen’s comp. If the person/company isn’t covered, you could be liable for medical expenses for any injuries s/he incurred while cleaning your house.
    • If she doesn’t have her own business, you’ll have to file a W2 and pay FICA taxes on her if you pay her enough. Most employers pay both sides. You can do this once/yr with your 1040.
    • Lay out expectations in advance. Much easier than going back later and saying “this isn’t what I expected”.
    Click to expand…

I would be shocked if the vast majority of folks that use an independent cleaning lady/man (i.e, not employed by a service such as Molly Maid), particularly found by word of mouth from a friend or neighbor, actually pays taxes as per your recommendations. And at current rates with a cleaning of twice per month, I would calculate that annual costs are greater than $2100. As mentioned above, I suspect that most pay cash for these services. I’m not suggesting this is ethically the right thing to do, but I think you are fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. Although, as an accountant I understand your obligation to bring it up.

#170083 Reply

Reply To: House cleaner service questions

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear