Menu

hospitalist hours

Home The Lounge hospitalist hours

Participant

this is a question for all the hospitalists in the group…

the usual shifts for hospitalist are 12 hrs 7 on/7off … how many of you actually stay in the hospital for the entire 12 hrs. is it more common to stay or do most of you get to leave after rounding and some admits.. if you do leave early, then how early.. ?

#214350 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I can’t imagine having to stay in hospital 12 hrs for 7 days in a row.

#214358 Reply
    Participant

that is what i keep trying to tel my group…but for some reason, they cant seem to agree ….

#214376 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

So basically for 7 days in a row you have no life, don’t see your family, and live in the hospital. I would change jobs.

#214387 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

When I was a resident I remember seeing a hospialist who looked particularly Haggard so I asked him if he was on the end of a long stretch.
    “Nah. If I look to happy they give me more patients”

Good times.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

Participant

I’m a hospitalist at in an academic setting. I love it.

I get in 8am, done seeing patients by noon, work on notes/follow up consults till 3 and home by 4 at max. Love the 7 days off: what other specialty offers that?

#214401 Reply
    Participant

We had the same system 7 on and 7 off – 10 hour shifts. The hospitalists used to abuse. They finished rounding by noon, home by 1-2. Then stopped answering the pages. Never replied, never followed on the consultation recommendations. Missed several important issues, for e.g. HIT patient not started on argatroban and continued to be on heparin overnight. Neutropenic fever (leukemia) patient, no abx started for > 12 hrs leading to ICU transfer due to deterioration, CNS mass (likely lung ca mets) not started on dexamethasone, cord compression missed etc. Mostly due to the fact that the consultants can’t find hospitalists to follow up on orders of the patients.

Hence, hospital revamped the system, everyone has to be in house for 10 hrs (or so I think). Now feels more like a teamwork. The disgruntled few left, the new crop joined, everyone seems contended.

#214403 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

The academic group I am joining in July has a 3 shift set up. Daytime teams Carry pager from 8am to 2pm and if work is done can forward pager to swing shift at 2 and go home. From what I have heard most folks leave around 3-4.

Swing is 2-10pm cross cover and admit, then night shift is either 8-8 or 10-8.

The schedule is the main reason I picked the job. No nights and only a few weeks of swing a year for day folks.

#214420 Reply
    Participant

so far I have been working in a system where they want us to stay in house for 12 hrs . And some times we work 10 days in a row too. This month due to some personal reasons , i asked another doctor to carry my pager from 5-7 pm in the evening for a few shifts so i can get home early and i did the same for him. Administration did not like that and i was told not to do it.

So now i am trying to change the policy here so we can go early , at 5pm,  if we can have another doctor carry the pager. I need arguing points . Otherwise i feel like am heading towards burn out .

#214430 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

so far I have been working in a system where they want us to stay in house for 12 hrs . And some times we work 10 days in a row too. This month due to some personal reasons , i asked another doctor to carry my pager from 5-7 pm in the evening for a few shifts so i can get home early and i did the same for him. Administration did not like that and i was told not to do it.

So now i am trying to change the policy here so we can go early , at 5pm,  if we can have another doctor carry the pager. I need arguing points . Otherwise i feel like am heading towards burn out .

Click to expand…

hate to say it, but move.  easier to find a more friendly system than be perceived as a trouble maker and possibly forced out.

although it may be hard to move (family, friends, etc), if you are happy at the end of the day, your family will be happier.

#214435 Reply

or, get everyone together, figure out a better system that works and everyone likes and supports, and make it happen

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#214436 Reply
    Participant

i am trying to change the system… may be i will be considered a trouble maker …but also they are not exactly over staffed so i think i have some protection from being forced out… but lets c

#214443 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

It is like when you marry someone who over time you hope to change to the person you want them to be.

Be careful.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the boot.

Best of luck changing the system.  I hope you can get some support from your colleagues.  Sorry to be negative but inertia is a powerful force.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#214448 Reply
    Participant

Why are your colleagues willing to work this schedule?  Are you paid above average? Live in an extremely desirable location? Near an academic pipeline supplying an infinite supply of labor? Are your coworkers all workaholics?

Status quo bias is strong. Be careful if you’re the lone voice here.

WCI had a guest on the pod talk about altering their EM group’s schedule. It took several years and the guest partnered with the most well-liked dr in the group to initiate changes.

#214455 Reply
    Participant

I had the choice of working 12 hour shifts, 13 shifts a month or 8am-4pm, 5 days a week with 1 weekend call a month. My colleagues that work the 12 hour shifts usually work 3-4 shifts/ week and have to stay the full 12 hours. Whenever they have to work 5+shifts in a row you can see their dismay.

With that said, I chose the 8-4 schedule

#214456 Reply

Reply To: hospitalist hours

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear