Menu

Home Upgrade Patio

Home Mortgages and Home Buying Home Upgrade Patio

• Neuro Neuro 
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Has anyone here recently done a patio? We are getting quotes and I am blown away by how expensive it is. We are getting quotes for 20-25K. We can pay for it and I have around 60% equity in the house. I can provide additional specific details but I want to start with a couple of questions.

1- Would you do it if you might not stay for more than 5 years?

2- Does patio upgrade translate into better pricing when selling the house?

Thanks in advance!

#205226 Reply
    Participant

1. Depends on how unlikely I would be to stay.  Definitely makes it less likely.

2. Probably not nearly as much as you’d like.

If you’re not staying for 5 years, I’d assume you’re just going to spend/consume the $20-25k, or at least a majority of it, without a return on investment, or even recouping much.  That’s how I’d decide if I was OK doing the upgrade.

#205231 Reply
    Participant

No.

No.

#205240 Reply
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

Thanks. I am conflicted about this. However my spouse really wants this. I think I can bring the expense down to 15K but thats it. It just seems that I will need to buckle down at other expenses.

#205255 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

What kind of patio is this? Not all patios are created equal.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#205258 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

A brick paver patio?  Anything fancy like retaining walls or other built up structures?  How big roughly?

I put a small one about 20 by 20 foot in myself when I was a medical student.  Cost about $500 for the material.  It was during my “break” to study for step 1.  I would take a practice test in the morning for 8 hours.  Go haul brick for 2 hours then review the practice test I took for 5-6 hours.  Sleep rinse and repeat every day for 4 weeks.  In the end I had a nice backyard patio to celebrate completing step one!

Whenever life sucks  I remember that month and things do not seem so bad.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#205261 Reply
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Its about 800 square feet of pavers with some gravelling, a low retaining wall and some extras.

Part of the issue is the yard slopes away from the house.

#205262 Reply
    Participant

Yep, the stuff is expensive.  Had to re-do ours because of erosion, and it was pushing 20K (though ours is larger than 800sq feet).  In short, I agree with the above:  no & no.  Parenthetically, we love the house and plan to stay for 20+ years.

#205278 Reply
    Liked by EDDOCMOM
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Its about 800 square feet of pavers with some gravelling, a low retaining wall and some extras.

Part of the issue is the yard slopes away from the house.

Click to expand…

A deck might be cheaper and easier to deal with the slope.  Even a cheap deck would last 5 years and look nice for resale.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#205295 Reply
    Participant
    We are getting quotes for 20-25K.

Click to expand…

You might try finding folks who don’t work for companies, and enjoy cash and beer.

#205304 Reply
    IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

I was going to build a 3 seasons porch.  Quotes from $35-50K.  There is a chance that I move in 3 years so I didn’t do it.  Word of caution: your ROI on a porch is prob 60%.  I just decided to not have a deck bc the buyers can build one to their liking now.

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt

#205305 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

We did our patio, used unilock. It’s great, but it cost about $16-17k. I plan on living here for a few decades barring anything out of the ordinary. I would do it again without question.

Yes they’re expensive. You will almost certainly not get back what you put into it. I likely would not do it unless you were fairly certain you would stay there for awhile. I don’t know that five years is awhile in my opinion.

#205307 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

if you do it, money gone.  save money for next house with even more baller patio.

#205309 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, octopus85
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

Thank you all.

#205310 Reply
    Participant

That sounds right to me. 800sf is huge. We are landscaping the backyard this year and I just want a pea gravel area for the fire pit and chairs but they first priced out pavers, not understanding what I wanted. It was like 15k. I personally would not do it if I knew I was leaving in 5 years. I’d find a less expensive alternative as you will not get a full ROI.

#205365 Reply

Reply To: Home Upgrade Patio

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear