Menu

Help me sort out the small folk

Home The Lounge Help me sort out the small folk

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I noticed that 2 of my co residents were reading the most recent Game of Thrones book (book 5) back in 2012 when the book was new.  Having never read the book and I heard there was a new show I talked with them about it and it seemed like something that would interest me.  It took me 2 years but I read the series during my residency.  Little did I know the next book will STILL NOT BE OUT!!!  I am still working on the show so no spoilers please!

Being the dorks we are we assigned the different positions in the hospital to the hierarchy of Westeros

Admin was the royal family

Department head and chairs were the lords of major houses.

The rest of the medical staff were the minor and petty lords

We residents were knights

Students were squires

Everyone else we just called the small folk.  With the recent popularity and much wider audience now with the show I feel we can fill out those roles.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#231225 Reply

never watched or read…

#231226 Reply
    Liked by DMAL, Tim
    Participant

I am a psychiatrist for a state hospital and deal exclusively with (often violent and very psychotic) prisoners. 99% of regular people don’t want my job, however it involves no billing, prior authorizations or insurance denials. I guess that makes me one of the Free Folk? I live beyond the wall where no one else wants to be,  and follow none of the laws that apply to the rest of Westeros. 😉

Participant

Bravo to dorks! There is both outrage and doubt in the GoT reading community about whether the final books will ever be completed…

#231241 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Bravo to dorks! There is both outrage and doubt in the GoT reading community about whether the final books will ever be completed…

Click to expand…

I was going to hold off on watching the show until he finished the series.  I recently caved and started watching because I believe he will now not finish the series.  It has been 8 years since the last book and then another one after that!  He might not live that long…

I am a psychiatrist for a state hospital and deal exclusively with (often violent and very psychotic) prisoners. 99% of regular people don’t want my job, however it involves no billing, prior authorizations or insurance denials. I guess that makes me one of the Free Folk? I live beyond the wall where no one else wants to be,  and follow none of the laws that apply to the rest of Westeros.

Click to expand…

Are there really snarks and gumpkins beyond the wall?  Any giants?  Or people who think they are giants?

#231244 Reply
    Participant

The problem with finding comparisons is that any good one would probably spoil it for you. Finish the series and we can bring back the thread in a couple years (I’m assuming with your army of children, it’ll take more than a couple weekends to finish).

#231245 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Listening on Audible is the best choice for GoT – you don’t miss any of the script and you get to hear it all spoken. I think this should be your next project after watching the series – you’ll then have all of the faces and can imagine them when listening. Maybe, by then, the next book will be out! 🐺

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#231276 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Listening on Audible is the best choice for GoT – you don’t miss any of the script and you get to hear it all spoken. I think this should be your next project after watching the series – you’ll then have all of the faces and can imagine them when listening. Maybe, by then, the next book will be out!

Click to expand…

We talked about this before!

I wanted to listen to them all prior to watching the show but they are so long!  About 50 hours each.  Roy Dotrice does a phenomenal job but does read a little slower then others I have listened too.  HE was around 80 when he recorded that so I will give him a break 😛

I think audiobooks are just the best form of entertainment.  My audible subscription is money very well spent!

#231294 Reply
    Participant

I’m a big fan of this dorky thread, but I will decline to participate since you are not caught up.

I don’t believe the last two books will ever get done.  He has so much money now there can’t possibly be any motivation to finish them.  And if they finish differently then the TV series that be stupid and would fracture the whole story-line (in case anyone wanted to make follow-up movies, TV series, etc).  Plus there are all these prequels filming, so the money will continue to roll in.

#231320 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    The problem with finding comparisons is that any good one would probably spoil it for you. Finish the series and we can bring back the thread in a couple years (I’m assuming with your army of children, it’ll take more than a couple weekends to finish).

Click to expand…
    I’m a big fan of this dorky thread, but I will decline to participate since you are not caught up.

Click to expand…

Alright alright.  I guess a lot happens in the last 2 seasons that I do not know about.  I will revisit in a few months Not years.  We are slow but not that slow.  I get to watch about 20 minutes a night after I spend 10 minutes figuring out where my wife fell asleep and catching her up to the story.

#231322 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Listening on Audible is the best choice for GoT – you don’t miss any of the script and you get to hear it all spoken. I think this should be your next project after watching the series – you’ll then have all of the faces and can imagine them when listening. Maybe, by then, the next book will be out!

Click to expand…

We talked about this before!

I wanted to listen to them all prior to watching the show but they are so long!  About 50 hours each.  Roy Dotrice does a phenomenal job but does read a little slower then others I have listened too.  HE was around 80 when he recorded that so I will give him a break

I think audiobooks are just the best form of entertainment.  My audible subscription is money very well spent!

Click to expand…

LOLOL – you’re right! I just won’t give up😂!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#231347 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

@lordosis. I don’t know how well your sleep will do in season 7. Those 90 minute episodes are difficult to stop in the middle.

#231357 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

My wife fell asleep during the battle of the black water and the red wedding. Never underestimate sleep deprivation.

When I first read those parts I remember staying up way later then usual. Especially the black water. That was a long battle in the book.

#231387 Reply
    Liked by Brains428
    Participant

Apropos of Johanna’s suggestion, I think this is a rare series that is better after watching the show, rather than before. For example, I quickly reread the Lord of the Rings books prior to the opening of the Peter Jackson movies, so as not to have Jackson’s vision contaminate my reading of Tolkien. George is not the writer that Tolkien is – his plotting is good but his use of language is not world-class – and in fact I think the GoT books are elevated by viewing the HBO series first.

#231452 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Jaqen Haghar, MD Jaqen Haghar, MD 
    Participant

A man is not Jaqen H’ghar.

#231456 Reply

Reply To: Help me sort out the small folk

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear