Menu

Have you ever given a patient money?

Home The Lounge Have you ever given a patient money?

•  JWeb 
    Participant
    Not very hard, especially if we’re talking about small sums. You have an address for the person (or can look one up), I presume? Put $50 in an envelope with no return address, drop in the mail. Easy.

Click to expand…

That $50 will be stolen in the mail. Easy

#179860 Reply
    Liked by Anne
     ko 
    Participant

Not very hard, especially if we’re talking about small sums. You have an address for the person (or can look one up), I presume? Put $50 in an envelope with no return address, drop in the mail. Easy.

Click to expand…

That $50 will be stolen in the mail. Easy

Click to expand…

Look, I know that people talk about mail theft as a problem. And I’m not saying you’re wrong. But I’ve never had it happen to me or anyone I know with small sums of cash, especially if in a nondescript envelope.

But if that’s your issue, fine, ask a friend or your kid to go leave it on the person’s doorstep at night. Or a million other ways. All I’m saying is that if a lack of ways to give $20 anonymously to someone that it could really help is stopping us from doing so – well, that’s actually a very solvable problem with a variety of solutions.

#179861 Reply
     JWeb 
    Participant
    Look, I know that people talk about mail theft as a problem. And I’m not saying you’re wrong. But I’ve never had it happen to me or anyone I know with small sums of cash, especially if in a nondescript envelope.

Click to expand…

Had a $50 gift card taken out of a nondescript envelope two months ago.  You do what you want. But I’m never sending a gift card or cash in the mail again.

#179863 Reply
     ko 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Had a $50 gift card taken out of a nondescript envelope two months ago.  You do what you want. But I’m never sending a gift card or cash in the mail again.

Click to expand…

Great. Like I said, there are multiple other ways to help someone anonymously with a small sum of cash, if you feel so inclined. And I hope a lot of us in the situation typical of most on this board do.

#179892 Reply
     Anne 
    Participant

I agree with people that I wish giving money on a personal level could be easily done anonymously.  There are a lot of people I would like to help out directly (with sums greater than $5!) but only if it could be done anonymously.  Someone here must have the skill set to be able to figure out how to develop that.

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yes for $50 that’s ok (although I agree you have the risk of it being stolen) but I’m talking about for larger sums–like portlandia’s case of considering giving someone enough for an airplane ticket.  Taking care of someone’s rent for a month when they have a financial crisis.  Etc.  I’m thinking like some sort of Zelle or Paypal service for anonymous personal giving.  I understand that there are barriers to this, but it would be interesting to figure it out.

#179999 Reply
    Liked by portlandia
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant

I remember this from Dear Zachary:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/psychiatrist-sanctioned-for-posting-patients-bail/article705362/

Astonishing that a physician could be that stupid.

Click to expand…

Wow, I remember the story of Andrew Bagby’s murder when it happened in 2001.  I didn’t know the rest of this story or that someone made a movie about it.  I’ll have to check it out.

Click to expand…

Great documentary.

#180017 Reply
     mainah 
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I just asked a 6 year old girl if she was excited for Christmas and she burst into tears saying “no presents this year, we only have money for food and gas.” Her dad said he had just been laid off from his manual labor job, and mom was disabled. I knew the family was dirt poor, doing the best they could, and not wasting money on cigarettes etc. I felt bad and Amazon Primed a couple toys anonymously for her and her brother because it was less than a week until Christmas and too late to sign them up for the charitable organizations. Well I guess there’s a way to write thank you notes electronically on Amazon with a number on a gift receipt and I got a really heartfelt letter saying how touched the family was. I am a softie when it comes to kids in poverty because they have no choice with their circumstances.

Once I paid for a patient’s potassium who needed it badly but didnt have the money for a week, except I was able to get it through our telepharmacy machine and tell her she had no copay. We had a patient with schizoaffective disorder and mild cognitive impairment who never made it in for his risperdal injections and was a PITA to manage because he was always getting in fights or threatening to hurt someone and people in the community would call and complain about him all the time to us, or he would call incessantly ranting about something. He was on the verge of being evicted at least twice. I told our care manager I would gladly double book him if he needed an injection and she would voluntarily pick him up and bring him in every 2 weeks. We baked him cakes on his birthday, gave him our soda cans from the break room to redeem, and I think she had to bribe him with ice cream at times to get him in, but by golly when he was consistently getting his injections our headache level dropped dramatically, he was way less of a threat to himself and the community, and was able to remain locally with his brothers (though more cognitively impaired than he) instead of a homeless shelter across the state.

Working in a rural and geographically isolated area it was impossible to avoid situations like this, though I agree with others that I would never make it a habit and only did it for patients I knew well and knew genuinely needed the assistance, and anonymously as much as possible.

#180642 Reply

Reply To: Have you ever given a patient money?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear