Menu

Getting a Mortgage & Moving for Residency

Home Mortgages and Home Buying Getting a Mortgage & Moving for Residency

Participant

Is it possible to get approved for a mortgage if you’re moving states away for a residency? As a new grad, I know you wouldn’t have any qualifying income yet, but would signing your residency contract allow you to get approved? What if your significant other has a stable income in your current state?

#196590 Reply
    IlliniGopher IlliniGopher 
    Participant

You’re about to get 10 posts saying don’t buy a house.  Brace yourself.

Also — 5 rules I tell all the residents:

1. Don’t buy a house until you are at your first job 2 years

2. Live like a resident for 5 years after your first job

3. If you worry about losing or damaging it, don’t buy it (car, Canada Goose jacket, luxury watch/wallet/purse)

4. Don’t do a chief year (if it’s an additional year of training)

5. Only do fellowship if you can’t live without it (internal medicine specialties)

"Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt

Faithful Steward Faithful Steward 
    Participant
    5 rules I tell all the residents

Click to expand…

Sage advice. Love it!

Michael Peterson, CFP® | Faithful Steward Wealth Advisors
    http://www.fswealthadvisors.com | (717) 496-0900

#196597 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Possible, yes. Recommended, no.

#196604 Reply
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant

I’m hoping this is a troll post, either that or you inadvertently posted here instead of on a real estate agent/home loan originator forum. Please take some time to read more on this site and then you will have a good belly laugh about your question.

#196624 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Not only is it possible but it is easy.  They will bend over backwards to give you a loan for 0-5% down.

The question is if you should be buying a house or renting.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#196625 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

3. If you worry about losing or damaging it, don’t buy it (car, Canada Goose jacket, luxury watch/wallet/purse)

5. Only do fellowship if you can’t live without it (internal medicine specialties)

Click to expand…

You got gold here. Print this out, tape it to your mirror and save a back-up copy in your safe.

#196632 Reply
    Participant

Any bankruptcy lawyer will be glad to put you in touch with a real estate broker that will do everything possible to get you into the house of your dreams and clean you out not only now but for the future.

If you need a nice place to rent, try Trulia or Zillow. Use the price filter to limit the prices. If you find ones, call the place directly (you avoid the listing fees). Good luck with apartment hunting. By the way, you won’t spend much time there, so go light on amenities. Most important is the laundry facilities. You might skimpy on cleaning for about 4 to 6 years, so the granite counter tops are worthless. Fridge, microwave, laundry, bed, bathroom. Walking distance if possible.

http://www.mynewplace.com/apartment/6805-n-27th-ave-phoenix-phoenix-az-1b1433240430

Think $550/month for a two br. Get a roommate and your at $275/month.  Congratulations. Now your living like a resident!

#196635 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Agree fully with 1-4.

I would do fellowship if you choose a IM specialty that really pays well like GI, cardiology. Even accounting for 3 years of underpayment. Especially if you envision a long superficiality career.

Not ID or endocrinology where you might get paid less than IM

#196667 Reply
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

My physician spouse and I (non-physician) did exactly what you describe: move to a new state for residency and purchased a home without proof of income. The bank gave us a Physician Loan based on her residency contract. Smartest financial move? Maybe not. Big financial risks? Sure. But finances aren’t the only driver of decisions like this.

We ended up moving after our 4 year residency and -gasp- bought another home in a new city we’d never been to for her attending job.

I’ll note that neither home is a ‘doctor home’ and we are otherwise closely following the WCI financial script.

#196778 Reply
    Hank Hank 

With a doctor’s income you can overcome a lot of financial mistakes. However, it would be smarter to avoid mistakes in the first place.

#197054 Reply
    Participant

I ascribe to the “if you care about losing it or damaging it, don’t buy it” mantra for most things. For clothes, it came in handy in college since “distressed” clothing became a thing. I had holes in jeans because I didn’t care…

But as previously mentioned… just search the forum for “buy house in residency” or “new attending, getting new house” or the like. You’ll find a million posts as to why to not do it. It’s why some of the forum veterans above aren’t saying much…

#197218 Reply
    Liked by IlliniGopher
    Participant
    #197219 Reply

Reply To: Getting a Mortgage & Moving for Residency

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear