Menu

geographic arbitrage

Home General/Welcome geographic arbitrage

alpha investing

It’s going to be a change for sure. We shall see. I did a fellowship in Columbus and that has more snow, though by March I was ready to pull my hair out.

It’s in Kentucky. I was mildly freaking our last week as it was 71 and they were on the edge of the polar vortex. I dont even own anything heavier than a goody aside from a skiing type jacket.

On the bright side I do enjoy bourbon and everywhere seems to have 2 pages of offerings.

Click to expand…

I’ve been trying to convince my wife to look at Kentucky after fellowship.  Beautiful horse country, weather that’s not too bad one way or the other.  Plenty of stuff to do depending on where you land.  Best of luck with the move.  I think you’ll enjoy it.

#189584 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

It’s going to be a change for sure. We shall see. I did a fellowship in Columbus and that has more snow, though by March I was ready to pull my hair out.

It’s in Kentucky. I was mildly freaking our last week as it was 71 and they were on the edge of the polar vortex. I dont even own anything heavier than a goody aside from a skiing type jacket.

On the bright side I do enjoy bourbon and everywhere seems to have 2 pages of offerings.

Click to expand…

I don’t know whether calling Kentucky the midwest is better or worse than referring to moving to an LCOL as geographic arbitrage, but I’ll let someone else figure that out.  Nonetheless, good luck with the move.

Click to expand…

Thanks, I dont know what to call it honestly. Its eastish and smack dab next to Ohio/Indiana, so thats not midwest to me. Lots of people lump KY in with the south, but that also doesnt make sense. Who knows.

Click to expand…

KY is one of the states that I find hardest to characterize along with MO and Maryland.

In general I think if you were on the wrong side in the Civil War it’s ok to call you a southern state.

It’s funny I was born in KS which is a very agrarian state with typically conservative politics but KS was aggressively not with the South during the CW and there are marks of that all over the state.

Click to expand…

What about Texas? Texas isnt south, southwest or anything other than Texas. I think its the strangest state in the union. Really the issue is that we have a need to over fit things into categories which just dont work.

Click to expand…

completely disagree. 100% southern. many of the southern states have their own flavor (TN, FL, LA, NC).

southern politics, southern culture, southern weather = the south.

#189588 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

I don’t know whether calling Kentucky the midwest is better or worse than referring to moving to an LCOL as geographic arbitrage, but I’ll let someone else figure that out.  Nonetheless, good luck with the move.

Click to expand…

Thanks, I dont know what to call it honestly. Its eastish and smack dab next to Ohio/Indiana, so thats not midwest to me. Lots of people lump KY in with the south, but that also doesnt make sense. Who knows.

Click to expand…

KY is one of the states that I find hardest to characterize along with MO and Maryland.

In general I think if you were on the wrong side in the Civil War it’s ok to call you a southern state.

It’s funny I was born in KS which is a very agrarian state with typically conservative politics but KS was aggressively not with the South during the CW and there are marks of that all over the state.

Click to expand…

What about Texas? Texas isnt south, southwest or anything other than Texas. I think its the strangest state in the union. Really the issue is that we have a need to over fit things into categories which just dont work.

Click to expand…

completely disagree. 100% southern. many of the southern states have their own flavor (TN, FL, LA, NC).

Click to expand…

What?! I mean yes they’re all individual, but Texas is the only place I’ve been thats so fiercely themselves. Mailboxes, bathroom sets, fences, car emblems all texified, it was pretty nuts. Its also so bid the e/w/n/s are pretty different. Since I did residency there Im probably biased.

#189589 Reply
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

What?! I mean yes they’re all individual, but Texas is the only place I’ve been thats so fiercely themselves. Mailboxes, bathroom sets, fences, car emblems all texified, it was pretty nuts. Its also so bid the e/w/n/s are pretty different. Since I did residency there Im probably biased.

Click to expand…

I’m with you on Texas. I think part of it is just because it is so big. The eastern half is pretty “South” and the western half is very SW. The central part is a weird culture unto itself and the whole state thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread. Oklahoma is pretty “odd man out” too, but pairs well with Texas (even if they don’t think so) 😉

#189597 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Click to expand…

Years ago I got a job offer in a place called Hazard, Kentucky. Never heard of it and thought it was where the Dukes of Hazzard came from and later learned that that the Kentucky town had a missing z and hence not the same. Anyway I go through the beautiful mountains of Eastern Kentucky and the first thing the front desk of the Holiday Inn there asks me – “Are you a doctor or a motel owner? Because these are only two types of Indians we see around here”.

I have been many times to small towns of Kentucky like London, Manchester, Somerset ( what is it with English town names there -the London and Manchester there resemble nothing like the originals). Very friendly people but surprisingly has (had?) some dry counties too and so the neighboring counties obliged them with drive through liquor stores to expedite sales to the people in those dry counties – the first time I ever heard of such a thing.

Never get caught behind a loaded coal truck on a twisty hilly road in Eastern Kentucky. You will have plenty of dirt blown onto your windshield and the drive is at times hair-raising.

#189603 Reply
    Participant

Texas is its own thing. Sorry but it’s NOT the south. Parts of it feel like south but it has a unique culture. Conservative but major cities like Austin , Houston , San Antonio, Dallas all have a metro Texan flavor. NOT like TN, AL, MO or FLA.

Also it’s the best state to be an MD in AND do side hustles or business.

I would love to be in Cali but only for the weather and geography.

It’s simple. Move to Texas. Profit.

#189606 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

@mpmd

Texas…”completely disagree. 100% southern…southern politics, southern culture, southern weather = the south.”

I see you’ve spent lots of time there and are very familiar with Texas.

#189641 Reply
    Participant

Sometimes just being closer together allows personal interaction and avoids stereotypes.
    Texarkana to El Paso =. 814 miles
    Texarkana to Cincinnati = 758 miles

But even though Cincy is closer, going through Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky to get to Ohio shouldn’t matter a bit. Commuting to Cincy is about 30 minutes faster too!
    Some how “we” assume a lot based on impressions or labeling that in fact aren’t true for a region, state or culture. Parts of New York are tremendously different (Queens vs Buffalo) . I simply am amused when Texas is given a label and Kentucky is labeled. It really depends on the preferred climate and the actual town or city.

Texarkana is used for illustration only. Check out the weather and visit if you want to consider living there!

#189644 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Texas is too big and too diverse for its own good as a state to really have a set-in-stone identity. Let’s be honest, it’s basically a different nation within the US. And then there’s the Texan pride. Lots of great music, though.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#189646 Reply

Reply To: geographic arbitrage

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear