Menu

Gardens

Home The Lounge Gardens

• White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant
    Yum! Do you cook your green beans the healthy way or with little new potatoes and bacon grease? (iow, were you raised in the South?)
    Click to expand…

We like them Asian style, sautéed string beans with garlic sauce.

#244011 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Healthy and tasty. I seriously want to try that. Suggestions?

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#244015 Reply
    Participant

We had a couple of raised bed gardens put in the footprint of where the prior owners of our home had a hole dug out for a trampoline. (What self-respecting orthopod lets his kids have a trampoline?)

They were supposed to be finished in early May but didn’t end up getting done until almost the end of June. We still planted 6-7 tomato plants (a couple of Romas to make sauces, some cherry tomatoes for eating, and some other hybrids for general use), a bunch of green bean plants, some peppers (jalapeño, Anaheim, couple varieties of sweet bell, sweet banana, and hothouse), some basil, oregano, chives, and a few onions. The onions haven’t done well and neither have the peppers because I think we got them in too late. The tomatoes have been so-so, again because I think we got them in late. The beans have been amazing. We probably pick close to 5 pounds of fresh green beans a week off about 14-16 plants.

I also have a couple of blackberry bushes and one raspberry bush in large containers on our patio. When they get established I will look to plant them somewhere in the yard.

So far the kids enjoy helping me plant the seeds or plants and then picking and eating the produce. Our youngest won’t eat store bought beans but loves the ones from our garden. Can’t say I blame him.

#244093 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Here is how I have been able to keep deer out of my garden.  I put tall stakes around the outside and then string 30-pound clear fishing line around the garden.  The spacing of the line should be 6-12 inches apart.  Make sure it is tight and clear.  The deer feel something as they come near the garden, but cannot see what it is.  I’ve only had deer in my garden once and it was in a section where the line spacing was too big.  I’ve been told if you try this and they come in during the day to hang CDs from the line as the reflection keeps them away. However, I haven’t had to try that.

Click to expand…

my neighbor does this.  he also has one of those psychedelic wind charm things.

as far as I can tell, the deer find it all quite amusing.

#244098 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant

prior owners of our home had a hole dug out for a trampoline. (What self-respecting orthopod lets his kids have a trampoline?)

Click to expand…

Only way to have a trampoline is to have it in-ground. My kids like to fly off large (50+ foot jumps) with sticks attached to their feet, on hard cold stuff (i.e. free ride skiing) and the best way to keep them safe in the air is to get them on a trampoline.

Click to expand…

We will sautee’ onions, thinly slices beef (also at Trader Joe’s), and the green beans then add the Korean BBQ sauce from Trader Joes, serve over rice…. its amazing and super easy!Image result for trader joe's korean bbq sauce

#244099 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant
    I also have a couple of blackberry bushes and one raspberry bush in large containers on our patio. When they get established I will look to plant them somewhere in the yard.

Click to expand…

Careful with blackberries, they are a pest and weed and can take over and are hard to control.

#244158 Reply
    Participant

Well, I’m surprised to see we have so many gardeners on here.  That’s great though.  My wife and I have lived in a downtown neighborhood for the last 11 years of our lives. Despite this, we always managed to have some sort of container garden going.  And backyard chickens.  This year we’re selling our house downtown and have already moved to a new home on a farm (5 acres surrounded by her parents 60 acre horse farm) . So, we will finally be able to start a real garden.  I’m going to spend this fall/winter researching and planning for it. Can’t wait

#244161 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

My garden did terrible this year, too. My herbs are thriving though. I credit that to planting them into my Garden Tower. Should have put tomatoes in my tower again this year to save them from all the rain we got.

#244558 Reply
    Participant

Just picked a tomato weighing 1 pound 14 oz!

#244652 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Just picked a tomato weighing 1 pound 14 oz!

Click to expand…

Just picked a semi-ripe apple.  Before the tanagers, jays, squirrels, bears and deer could get to it.  There are a few more that are left, so I’m excited.

This has been an excellent ROI.  Roughly $1k of trees five years ago.  🙂

#245046 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Participant

I saw a squirrel yesterday on my fence gnawing on one of my tomatoes which was approximately 3x the size of his head. It was not yet ripe enough for me to pick but he didn’t mind. How he carried it up there with his little paws is beyond me. It would be the equivalent of me climbing a wall with a watermelon in my hands. Squirrels are the parkour athletes of the animal world.

I garden primarily for the entertainment value. But our basil and mint is doing well.

#245054 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod

Reply To: Gardens

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear