Menu

Gardens

Home The Lounge Gardens

• djohnflatfeecfp djohnflatfeecfp 
    Participant
    Status: Financial Advisor, Website Sponsor, Small Business Owner

It has been some time since I used the search tool here and I was not able to find a thread on gardens.  Apologies if there is one.

With that, who here has a home garden?  I started last summer with a few raised beds.  While I had a great harvest last year, the results have been miserable this season.  Not sure if it was all the rain in June (record-breaking amounts in Ohio) or all the heat in July.  Or, maybe my green thumb turned black over the winter.  A few peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, and squash, but nothing in great quantities. The weeds have done great though;-)

I also started canning last summer after a client gave me a recipe for some great zucchini salsa.  To can anything this year I’ve been hitting the local farmer’s markets.  I may have gone overboard on the pickles though, but friends and clients love them.

Right now I’m trying to figure out what to do to prep the garden for the winter and a better growing season next year.  So, tips from the pros are greatly appreciated!

Accumulate Wealth, Not Fees - http://forwardthinkingwm.com/
    Daniel P. Johnson, CFP - [email protected]

#243658 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Well, moving from SoCal to Kentucky definitely hurt my gardening, as well as the much decreased space. I gave up trying to solely have some pots outside and have an all in plan for next years crops.

I bought a cheap mini-greenhouse off amazon, a grow light, timer, and a bunch of seeds and will be keeping my fav plants alive over winter and starting new ones. I have Carolina Reapers, Sugar Rush Peach peppers, Thais, Habs, romas, supposed ghosts but look like reapers (great…), to keep alive over winter and am starting some Lemon Aji, Hatch Greens chiles, san marzano tomatoes, antep aci dolma (turkish red bell with spice), Jalapeno (reg and orange spice), and Poblanos.

I definitely do not have the room for all those. I am going to make a decent sized as my small yard will reasonably allow raised beds next spring.

#243668 Reply
    Participant

Alas, I had to give up my vegetable garden when I moved from a house into a condo.  But I do have 10 tomato plants in pots on my balcony, which gave an outstanding crop this year, and several flower boxes which are past their prime now but looked glorious earlier in the summer.

Three cheers for gardening!

#243678 Reply
    legobikes legobikes 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Well, moving from SoCal to Kentucky definitely hurt my gardening, as well as the much decreased space. I gave up trying to solely have some pots outside and have an all in plan for next years crops.

I bought a cheap mini-greenhouse off amazon, a grow light, timer, and a bunch of seeds and will be keeping my fav plants alive over winter and starting new ones. I have Carolina Reapers, Sugar Rush Peach peppers, Thais, Habs, romas, supposed ghosts but look like reapers (great…), to keep alive over winter and am starting some Lemon Aji, Hatch Greens chiles, san marzano tomatoes, antep aci dolma (turkish red bell with spice), Jalapeno (reg and orange spice), and Poblanos.

I definitely do not have the room for all those. I am going to make a decent sized as my small yard will reasonably allow raised beds next spring.

Click to expand…

Aspiring for a full salsa garden, right now limited to some tomatoes, and jalapenos, serranos, and chili de arbol peppers. Also some okra. Next year will add on some green bell peppers, and try to find the right place for growing cilantro and mint.

Also started some citrus this year, because I love everything about citrus. The appearance, the fruit, and most especially the fragrance. Got some lime, orange, lemon, and planning on getting bouquet de fleur and chinotto sour orange trees.

#243694 Reply
    Participant

Been doing arborist woodchip gardening in Socal for the last several years(check out back to eden with Paul Gautschi if interested). I’ve had success with mint, black berries, tomatoes, kale trees, sweet potato leaves,  kabocha japanese winter squash and limited success with chard, strawberries, blueberries.

I have 2-3 y/o cherry, fuji, asia pear, saturn white peach, and honey crisp apple. No fruit yet. They were all bare root and are all doing well. My pot based trees avocado, orange, and wax apple all died.

#243716 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Aspiring for a full salsa garden, right now limited to some tomatoes, and jalapenos, serranos, and chili de arbol peppers. Also some okra. Next year will add on some green bell peppers, and try to find the right place for growing cilantro and mint.

Also started some citrus this year, because I love everything about citrus. The appearance, the fruit, and most especially the fragrance. Got some lime, orange, lemon, and planning on getting bouquet de fleur and chinotto sour orange trees.

Click to expand…

Mint goes insane, so plant in it’s own container!! Or in a place you don’t mind it going wild. It’s a pretty looking bush, I think, and smells amazing and the bees love it.

We moved last year and are currently landscaping the backyard and I just got 3 large planters in place. So I missed out last year and this one, but have grand plans for next year 🙂 We also planted 2 peach trees, a pear and an apple. We get deer in the back though, so I’m researching ways to keep the deer from eating all of my produce. I like to plant cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash. And then I like to try a random assortment of things. Pumpkins are fun but require so much space. Okra is a good idea. I think we are also going to try asparagus, which apparently also go kinda crazy. So they may get their own planter box . . .

My grandma taught me to can and we are going to can peaches this week. Nothing better than home canned peaches!

#243724 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Mint goes insane, so plant in it’s own container!! Or in a place you don’t mind it going wild. It’s a pretty looking bush, I think, and smells amazing and the bees love it.

We moved last year and are currently landscaping the backyard and I just got 3 large planters in place. So I missed out last year and this one, but have grand plans for next year 🙂 We also planted 2 peach trees, a pear and an apple. We get deer in the back though, so I’m researching ways to keep the deer from eating all of my produce. I like to plant cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash. And then I like to try a random assortment of things. Pumpkins are fun but require so much space. Okra is a good idea. I think we are also going to try asparagus, which apparently also go kinda crazy. So they may get their own planter box . . .

My grandma taught me to can and we are going to can peaches this week. Nothing better than home canned peaches!

Click to expand…

Plant some super hot peppers encircling your plants, that’ll teach em.

#243727 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Plant some super hot peppers encircling your plants, that’ll teach em.

Click to expand…

I’m willing to try anything! Just have to keep the 2 yo from eating them too 😉

#243744 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

My vegetable garden is 4 rows of corn,  a giant pumpkin, row of tomato and green peppers.  All are producing well, but the peppers are a bit weak.

early season planted peas, beets, carrots, and onions.  They all produced wonderfully and are done.

the weeds this year has been insane.  It’s like Jumanji out there.

I dont bottle or can.  if i dont eat it them when i pull them, im not going to eat it

#243772 Reply
    Participant

Gardening…my non tax deductible donation of time and money to the local wildlife.

#243785 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

Our garden has been going strong this year.  Here is one day’s harvest.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

My favorite is homemade marinara so we grow our own tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil and oregano. Last year froze about 20 pints, which lasted us the year.

Also a lot of fun!

#243845 Reply
    Participant

Garlic, tomatoes, beans and snap peas, cucumbers, zucchini, kale, chard, spinach, lettuce, arugula, watercress, bok choi, beets, carrots, basil of all kinds, oregano, thyme, sage, mint, rosemary, flowers. Pears and apples galore. A few trial eggplants and jalapenos but usually our climate is not hot enough for much success there. This year we failed with the broccoli, kohlrabi, and cauliflower, and looks like watermelons won’t have time to grow or ripen. We do plan to get pumpkins going next year. Our asparagus bed has been overtaken by weeds. Our fruit tree starts get decimated by deer so I’ll have to protect them this fall or never get fruit off them. If they work we have several more pears, apples, figs, persimmons, plums, peach, apricot, and cherries. About 20 in all. Also plan to put in blueberries, marionberries, raspberries, and grapes.

#243846 Reply
    djohnflatfeecfp djohnflatfeecfp 
    Participant
    Status: Financial Advisor, Website Sponsor, Small Business Owner

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Here is how I have been able to keep deer out of my garden.  I put tall stakes around the outside and then string 30-pound clear fishing line around the garden.  The spacing of the line should be 6-12 inches apart.  Make sure it is tight and clear.  The deer feel something as they come near the garden, but cannot see what it is.  I’ve only had deer in my garden once and it was in a section where the line spacing was too big.  I’ve been told if you try this and they come in during the day to hang CDs from the line as the reflection keeps them away. However, I haven’t had to try that.

Accumulate Wealth, Not Fees - http://forwardthinkingwm.com/
    Daniel P. Johnson, CFP - [email protected]

#243880 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Our garden has been going strong this year.  Here is one day’s harvest.

Click to expand…

Yum! Do you cook your green beans the healthy way or with little new potatoes and bacon grease? (iow, were you raised in the South?)

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#243947 Reply

Reply To: Gardens

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear