Menu

Free Microsoft Office Alternatives

Home The Lounge Free Microsoft Office Alternatives

Participant

I have been using LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/) since my university subscription to Office 365 ran out. So far so good, it seems to run the same formulas excel did, and I even keep my same .xlsx and .docx files I had made with Microsoft Office, and can open and edit them well.

Anyone else have experience with alternatives to Microsoft Office and how to save a few bucks by avoiding their annoying subscription fees, vs buying the one time licenses that keep going up in price?

Now I just need a free e-mail program that can open and search my archived .PST files from outlook and I’m all set.

#231560 Reply

If you don’t mind Google having all your data, then their cloud documents solution is pretty decent.

My issue with Libre is the formatting.  It’s fine if you’re the only person looking at it, but heaven help you if you need to send it to multiple people who may be using different versions of MS Office.  I wasted plenty of hours in the past making something look perfect with Libre, only to have it be an unreadable mess to the intended audience.  Most of the time you’re fine with simple tabs and carriage returns… Start throwing complex formatting in there, and stuff like footnotes and bookmarks, and you’re going to have a bad time.

These days, I just bite the bullet and pay Microsoft.  It’s a pittance for the use I get out of it, and is a deductible expense come tax time.

#231581 Reply
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

Google Docs.

However I believe cloud sites such as Box partner now with Microsoft and have online versions letting you edit documents using Microsoft Office online if they are stored in the Box cloud. Dropbox may do something similar and I would assume OneDrive (Microsoft cloud) must buy haven’t looked

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#231586 Reply

Libre. Google.
    Been a while since I’ve had a formatting issue.

#231607 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Pay for it, its worth it. Google is garbage and has a cost, you just dont realize it.

#231608 Reply
    Liked by octopus85
    Participant

There is none.  Office is best.  Pay money

#231710 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod

Office 365 can be had for like $50 per year during deals such as Prime Day. You get 6 users. Use it for work and that’s a deductible expense. You also get I think 1 TB OneDrive storage so no need for Dropbox etc. The iOS app backs up all my photos and videos so I’ve no need to buy the iPhone model with more storage. Or pay for more iCloud space.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#231716 Reply

Reply To: Free Microsoft Office Alternatives

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear