Menu

Fraud

Home The Lounge Fraud

Participant
    Schwab does allow withdrawals during this process but they must be approved over the phone. 

Click to expand…

I am not understanding the bank process with Schwab. Typically, you don’t put just a hold. You may leave it open to cover any outstanding items. Why didn’t the open a new account? I certainly would walk down to a bank and open an account.

1) You do realize, that it does not appear you have filed a legal complaint. You need to file a complaint with your local law enforcement. There is a wonderful trail don’t you think? Traffic violations often have things like license numbers and sometimes pictures. Debt collections agencies try to collect from people. Cable companies have locations and personal information. Schwab does not have the authority to handle this.

2)Report Fraud Consumer Fraud and Identity Theft. Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP, 1-877-ID-THEFT, or online at http://www.ftc.gov.

Most likely your local sheriff will get a warrant to track everything down. Cable bill, it was paid for two years and suddenly your account was charged.It’s pretty easy to find the owner and address, see prior payments and get the bank information and then find the car and see who was on the tickets and collection agencies. Sounds easy, but Schwab doesn’t do that.

With your police report, you get free credit freezes. Get freezes on and get your credit reports. Restitution and lock it down is your goal. Schwab only is protecting one account, not finding out how and stopping anything else.

1. Contact Your Bank. …
    2. Contact the Vendor. …
    3. Dispute the Charge With Your Bank or Credit Card Company. …
    4. File a Fraud or Police Report. …
    5. Switch Your Bank Drafts to Your New Account or Card. …
    6. Monitor Your Account and Credit Closely.

Click to expand…

Thanks for this, I hadn’t even thought of doing that. Schwab is absolutely shutting down the account / giving us new numbers but there was a bunch of paperwork we had to fill out and then some lag as they waited for my account to be refunded. It was partially our fault for taking a couple days to get the documents to them, partially theirs for a slow system.  I will look into reporting it to the feds. It’s unbelievable that all a person needs is the information used on the front of a check to pull from the account. What an inefficient system! It’s not like when we went to Mexico and then started seeing charges. This time it’s someone local.

#205999 Reply
    Participant

From a strictly computer standpoint, use Lastpass (or another password manager) and enable two step authentication.  Can use a VPN if you are really paranoid.

From a credit standpoint; you can freeze your credit if you are not opening new cards, getting a loan, etc.

Click to expand…

Sounds like we need to freeze our credit. No loans in our future. Thanks, I’d never even heard of that.

#206000 Reply
    Participant

Most likely you can do a police report online or they come to your house. Three weeks later you get a copy.
    Same as reporting to bank.

#206007 Reply
    Participant

:::husband forwards email about hospital reimbursement being sent to bank account::: “The money should be showing up in our account. Not sure if the freeze will affect this.”

I can’t even.

#206019 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    Schwab does allow withdrawals during this process but they must be approved over the phone. 

Click to expand…

I am not understanding the bank process with Schwab. Typically, you don’t put just a hold. You may leave it open to cover any outstanding items. Why didn’t the open a new account? I certainly would walk down to a bank and open an account.

1) You do realize, that it does not appear you have filed a legal complaint. You need to file a complaint with your local law enforcement. There is a wonderful trail don’t you think? Traffic violations often have things like license numbers and sometimes pictures. Debt collections agencies try to collect from people. Cable companies have locations and personal information. Schwab does not have the authority to handle this.

2)Report Fraud Consumer Fraud and Identity Theft. Contact the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP, 1-877-ID-THEFT, or online at http://www.ftc.gov.

Most likely your local sheriff will get a warrant to track everything down. Cable bill, it was paid for two years and suddenly your account was charged.It’s pretty easy to find the owner and address, see prior payments and get the bank information and then find the car and see who was on the tickets and collection agencies. Sounds easy, but Schwab doesn’t do that.

With your police report, you get free credit freezes. Get freezes on and get your credit reports. Restitution and lock it down is your goal. Schwab only is protecting one account, not finding out how and stopping anything else.

1. Contact Your Bank. …
    2. Contact the Vendor. …
    3. Dispute the Charge With Your Bank or Credit Card Company. …
    4. File a Fraud or Police Report. …
    5. Switch Your Bank Drafts to Your New Account or Card. …
    6. Monitor Your Account and Credit Closely.

Click to expand…

You could write a post for WCI!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#206168 Reply
    Participant

@Johanna,
    Or google fraud protection, cut and paste.
    Tax time. I have to use two of the codes the IRS sends when “THE IRS LETS SOMEONE TRY TO CLAIM A REFUND”.
    The sad part, the victim is DENIED access to the cause of crime. Store, paper copy, stolen mail, home pc, old employer payroll, dentist? What do you change?
    It’s not about vigilante revenge, zero information gathered or shared. Criminal investigation! ID theft is a bear that can raise its head 10 years later.

Personally, I think it was the insurance girl at my dentist office. Sure would be nice to know! I could get rid of the guard dogs.

#206188 Reply

Reply To: Fraud

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear