Menu

For the FI crowd: Is maintaining motivation to learn medicine a struggle?

Home Practice Management For the FI crowd: Is maintaining motivation to learn medicine a struggle?

• Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

There are certain things in medicine that I really enjoy reading about. Some are in my specialty and some are outside. Same with CME–I’ve been to some really fun CME events–nutrition conferences, Kona ironman sports medicine conference, etc.

Some conferences that I wish existed (if they do, please tell me):
    Psychiatry for the non-psychiatrist
    How to co-treat chronic pain in personality disorders
    Interacting with difficult patients
    (I’ve been to conferences where these topics were an individual lecture or breakout session but I think they warrant an entire conference!)

Maybe your niche in psychiatry Lithium is the intersection of personal finance with mental health? Just an idea.

The thing about FI is it gives you such a huge amount of choice that it can be overwhelming to decide what to do.

Click to expand…

There actually is a certification for “financial therapy,” which social workers, psychologists and other mental health professionals can do, but I don’t think it’s for me.  Financial coaching/planning, maybe.

#244482 Reply
    Participant

I’ve found quite the opposite. Now no longer worried about money, the work itself is far more interesting.

#244536 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

@lithium , maybe it is the burnout speaking for you.

When I was burned out and considering leaving medicine, the absolute last thing I wanted to do was spend time and money on medical education. Now that I am happy(ish) practicing again, I enjoy learning new things, picking up new skills, and researching interesting cases. I do not plan to go to big meetings ever again but training courses and online lectures are abundantly available.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#244549 Reply
    Liked by Lithium
    Participant

You ask as I sit here 4 weeks away from recert #2…..very hard to concentrate

#244594 Reply
    Participant

There are certain things in medicine that I really enjoy reading about. Some are in my specialty and some are outside. Same with CME–I’ve been to some really fun CME events–nutrition conferences, Kona ironman sports medicine conference, etc.

Some conferences that I wish existed (if they do, please tell me):
    Psychiatry for the non-psychiatrist
    How to co-treat chronic pain in personality disorders
    Interacting with difficult patients
    (I’ve been to conferences where these topics were an individual lecture or breakout session but I think they warrant an entire conference!)

Maybe your niche in psychiatry Lithium is the intersection of personal finance with mental health? Just an idea.

The thing about FI is it gives you such a huge amount of choice that it can be overwhelming to decide what to do.

Click to expand…

Anne there are short half day conferences on psychiatry for the non psychiatrist and I found this one online.

https://www.acponline.org/cme-moc/online-learning-center/psychiatry-for-the-non-psychiatrist-depression-anxiety-ptsd-and-adhd

I also have slides for a lecture I give the residents on psychiatry in the primary care setting if you are interested in that 🙂

#244617 Reply
    Liked by Anne

Reply To: For the FI crowd: Is maintaining motivation to learn medicine a struggle?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear