Menu

Flip phone

Home The Lounge Flip phone

Participant

I hate my smart phone.  I want to get rid of it.  Has anyone gone back to the good ol flip phone on Verizon?

#235830 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc

i mean……no.

what do you hate exactly?

how old are you?

#235831 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

do they still make them even?

#235832 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    Participant

Yes they do….with large buttons and enlarged font size on the screen. My dad had one pretty recently, although he upgraded to an IPhone.

#235834 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Why do you hate your smart phone? Even if all you need is texting/calling capabilities, smart phones are much easier to do those on than the older phones.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#235836 Reply
    Participant

I couldn’t find it but for awhile the husband was obsessed with a cell phone that could only make calls and actually had a notepad and pencil attached to the back. He never bought it. I can’t remember the name of it but did find this The Light Phone

#235838 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    IntensiveCareBear IntensiveCareBear 
    Spectator
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I will just PM you since the Allegory of the Cave applies here.

Congrats on aiming to be an effective person who desires a comm device to be an excellent comm device and durable construct, much longer batt, cheaper to buy, cheaper bill, cheaper to replace, less distracting so that you can actually observe and pay full attention to nature/parties/events/dates/inpt care, etc.

You will absolutely survive and thrive without selfies, check-ins, snaps, reading news, watching movies, getting triggered by tweets, online dating, etc from anywhere while you are on the go. If you’re like most ppl, studies show you do plenty of that stuff on work machines and home machines already. It is also great to not be glued to your phone in bed, bathroom, etc if you choose a purely comm device that doesn’t have 101 other “necessary” functions.

…anyone questioning the desire for a simple phone can simply download or check ScreenTime and check weekly usage and number of daily pickups. It’s not pretty. The next best thing to non-smart phone is an app that makes it B&W after 10pm or whenever, but that’s still not ideal. Have a good weekend.

"Hmm, that sounds risky." - motto of the middle class

#235839 Reply
    Participant

Ha, I totally want a flip phone too! We got new phones last week and there is a tiny smartphone, by palm pilot, but the battery life is terrible. But I’d love a tiny phone, I don’t like how big smartphones have gotten.

#235841 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

I had an attending who rocked out his flip phone until his wife demanded an iPhone. He was the man. We were always welcome to text him, but he made it clear that we owed him a quarter per text.

Earn everything.

#235842 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc, mkintx
    Participant

I really want to get the Nokia banana phone, but I’m not sure if it’s available with Verizon.

#235853 Reply
    Participant

I lost my flip phone in a cab. I miss that thing…it was a point of pride to have it (and the $30/mo plan) amidst all the fancy smartphones among my patients.

Let us know if you find one.

#235856 Reply
    Liked by RocDoc
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

How will you check your email? Google stuff?  WCI Forum?  Read news?  Listen to music/books?  Use Up-to-date and other medical apps? Take pictures/videos?  Notes to self? Set alarms? Flashlight?

That is a list of the main “smart” functions I use that I would miss.  Yes most can be replaced with a laptop/clock/camera/pen and paper/ Flashlight.

I can would not miss the Ring doorbell function, controlling the roomba, texting, crushing candy and smashing pigs (gave these up when I had kids)

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#235857 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

If ever my children are to receive a phone it will be a flip phone.  With no camera, no apps, and only 3 numbers allowed to be used – mine, my wife’s, and 911.  Taking recommendations.

#235863 Reply
    Participant

I have an ipad.  There’s no reason for me to have an iphone too.  It’s just overkill.

#235866 Reply
    Liked by Tangler
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I have an ipad.  There’s no reason for me to have an iphone too.  It’s just overkill.

Click to expand…

Depends. I love using my medical apps and use them multiple times per shift. It makes it so much easier to reference something or look up appropriate dosing. I’m a big fan of only having to carry a phone (which I carry anyway) instead of multiple small reference books, etc.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#235870 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Reply To: Flip phone

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear