Menu
This forum is no longer active. Please use the new forum at https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forum/

FL retirement communities

Home The Lounge FL retirement communities

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

A couple in my family in their late 50s were excitedly telling me about a retirement community they are checking out in Florida.  It sounds like an incredibly large development of townhomes for 55+.  I think there are a lot of these in Florida.  They went to check it out and are going back for another look.  I was excited that they were planning on retiring early until they told me there is no way they could retire early and it would be at least 10 more years.  The saw mu puzzled look and explained the real estate agents down there have convinced them to buy now and rent it until they decide to retire.

I personally think this sounds like a terrible idea.  I am not going to give unsolicited advice.  I just want to know if anyone else has seen these kind of high pressure timeshare like practices.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#245233 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

What could go wrong?

*Narrator voiceover: Everything.”

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Yea. It’s Florida…..

#245238 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

At least 10 more years in their late 50’s doesn’t sound promising. Job security, health concerns with 10 more years of work. Sounds like a bad idea all around.

#245239 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

“the real estate agents down there ” get paid commissions at closing.

There is no reason to give unsolicited advice.
    •However, you can simply ask why a property is for sale if renting for 10 years is so attractive.
    •Is the agent offering to rent it and manage the property?
    •I think is a high probability that the retirement community real estate agent will be long gone and has spent the commission when they try to move in to a 10 year old retirement community.

#245241 Reply
    Liked by artemis, Infinity
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    •However, you can simply ask why a property is for sale if renting for 10 years is so attractive.

Click to expand…

I did ask that question.  Also the area is building new homes like mad.

At least 10 more years in their late 50’s doesn’t sound promising. Job security, health concerns with 10 more years of work. Sounds like a bad idea all around.

Click to expand…

I totally agree.  Later in life divorce can really throw off your financial plans.  However to be honest neither of them had much outlook for the future before that.

They are the work hard but spend every penny type.  Good thing Social Security exists.

I am hoping that for this couples sake this is their way of wishful thinking and they do not pull any triggers.  But I know how convincing salesman can be and I do not want them to get screwed.

#245242 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Infinity
    Participant

“They are the work hard but spend every penny type”

• Anonymously mail them the “want vs need” lecture!
    • I doubt a lecture about making retirement more difficult would be received very well.

Bury your head in the sand?
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/017/301/top_10_most_painful_faceplants_1_.jpg

#245249 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    • Anonymously mail them the “want vs need” lecture!

Click to expand…

I prefer this skit

Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

It sounds dreadful.

#245277 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Sounds like the long version of Peds lectures.
    No, yes, no, maybe, no, no, no.

#245280 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Lordosis
    wideopenspaces wideopenspaces 
    Participant

Maybe start sending them articles about the sinkhole problem in FL?

I figure 10 years from now, FL will be under the ocean, what with global warming and such. Not sure they want to risk it.

#245288 Reply

I figure 10 years from now, FL will be under the ocean, what with global warming and such. Not sure they want to risk it.

Click to expand…

literally no one here cares…

#245293 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

Couple that with pictures of Miami immediately post Hurricane Andrew, and that might actually work.

The one upside I can see in this is the forced savings aspect of owning a rental home.  Is there any way you could suggest they invest in the local real estate market (where they’d be in the area to deal with any problem that come up) instead?  They could sell their current house and the rental property when they are finally ready in 10+ years to move to Florida.

#245298 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    wideopenspaces wideopenspaces 
    Participant

Click to expand…

literally no one here cares…

Click to expand…

Really? I find the sinkhole stories fascinating. They’re just so crazy!

Mostly I was joking though, I don’t actually know how long it’ll take for FL to be under water.

#245364 Reply
    Participant

Weird that someone in the family with knowledge about investing and real estate wouldn’t feel comfortable pointing them to research tools or offering a gentle opinion on what is likely to be a terrible idea especially because they sound like they are already in bad financial shape. Maybe its cultural but while we feel no obligation to do anything others may suggest opinions are passed around like the bread basket in my family. If you mention something expect everyone’s unsolicited two cents.

#245409 Reply
    Liked by HandFellow

Reply To: FL retirement communities

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear