Menu

First time investing and a tax question

Home General Investing First time investing and a tax question

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Hi all. I’m becoming financially literate after all my life and opened a Vanguard ROTH Ira with a recent contribution. I set up automatic withdrawal from my account to reach 6k.
    As I had $ in it, I just purchased stock with the little I had and expect to continue doing so and fund keep on being added. Now to the questions.

1: do I have to pay taxes on any gains since the ETF were purchased via a ROTH? (I guess the answer is no here since it’s a ROTH).

2: If I transfer $ into my account NOT via a ROTH and have gains, but I DO NOT withdraw, do I still have to pay taxes? Or do I only pay taxes when I decide to sell in the future?

3: Vanguard will only allow a minimum of 1 ETF purchase, so if I have a few dollars left in the ROTH IRA account, do I just let it sit there until I’m able to contribute? If so, then for next tax year it will be OK?

4: when tax season arrives, do I have to let the irs know I have contributed to a Roth Ira and I have purchased ETF?

Thank you for taking time and reading/responding. I dove deep into all of this and I’ve wondered why I haven’t done this before.

#213667 Reply
    Participant

No.
    No.
    Yes.
    Maybe.

#213669 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

3: Vanguard will only allow a minimum of 1 ETF purchase, so if I have a few dollars left in the ROTH IRA account, do I just let it sit there until I’m able to contribute? If so, then for next tax year it will be OK?

Click to expand…

You can buy the exact amount you want if you use mutual funds.  They have minimums but most are only 3K so you should get there soon.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#213675 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

#4 if this is a backdoor Roth contribution you will need to file form 8606 at tax time, if it is a direct Roth nothing to do

#213678 Reply

Reply To: First time investing and a tax question

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear