Menu

First steps for applying to post-training positions?

Home The Lounge First steps for applying to post-training positions?

Participant

One year out seems the norm.  I’d first figure out academic vs non-academic, of course there are priva-demic positions out there too.  Next I’d figure out where you want to live and start using your contacts from residency/fellowship to make connections with attendings, groups, hospitals in that area.  Look up alumni from fellowship in the area.  Different areas the job market is different, some are mostly hospital-employed, others are heavily PP.  As you may know, cardiology overall has shifted heavily to hospital-employed setups.  For CV, I just waited until they asked for it as usually the conversation started off casual and I kept the CV similar to my fellowship/residency CV, COCATs may come up casually as well.  I’d also spend time thinking how she wants to practice, the work environment, day-to-day, etc.  It may take some time and a few jobs to figure this out but doesn’t hurt to think about now.

#228621 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Jeez it looks like you came to the right place for information! I am usually impressed with this forum but wow you out did yourselves here.

I do not have much to add. I am family practice so I do not know how many similarities there are but I signed a year out. I knew the general area I wanted to be and just called the private practices and hospital systems. I found some alumni from my residency to help get a foot in the door. I was amazed on how different the offers were. The one in the worst area also had the worst hours, job, and pay. It was something like 140k. I couldn’t believe it. The best offer was over 200k starting with a 45k signing bonus and another 45k retention bonus in 3 years.
    I took something in the middle because I liked the job structure better and location. I have no regrets.
    Best of luck!

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#228629 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Doc Spouse
    Participant
    One of the main issues is that we’re not planning on living where we are now, or where she did prior training; so our networking through current and former co-workers is limited. We’ve been looking on the NEJM and ACC job boards, but I can’t help feeling like we’re leaving a lot potential openings on the table. We’re not above cold-calling practices and medical groups in our desired areas. Has that worked for you in the past (either as employee/employer) and what’s been the best way you’ve found to approach it? Any other job resources beyond Indeed and those listed above that you’d recommend? Thoughts on external recruiters?

Click to expand…

There’s nothing wrong with this. For me, around November/December I ended up cold-emailing a lot of the department chairs and/or division heads in the area letting them know that I would be graduating fellowship next June and that even if they did not have an opening now, to kindly keep me in mind should an opportunity arise. Lo and behold, come March I was contacted by one of them who had an unanticipated opening in their department and that’s where I am now (saved them the trouble of going through the job advertising posting as well).

It’s also good to send out feelers early since a lot of the times (esp. in academia) the recipient may say something like “sounds good, maybe we can meet at (upcoming national meeting) and talk a little bit more about what a job here would be like”. So definitely good to get your name on their radar before then.

#228745 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
    Participant

If you are considering academics, the application process starts now, and its unlikely you will find job postings useful.  This is more of a “who you know” type of scenario, most jobs are filled before the postings ever go live.  If she is considering academics, she needs to consider what her particular niche will be, what research she would like to present at job interviews, etc etc.  Lots to think about.

#228753 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse

a). Location is one of the most difficult choices. How open are you folks really?

Click to expand…

@tim – All great points.  For location we’re eyeing the southern US to be within a few hours by plane to family, but we’ve agreed that we’ll be staying away from major metropolitan areas.  She’s tired of the traffic and crowds, and I’d love to go a day without hearing a police car siren.  Tort reform, low/no taxes, and some land to stretch out on would be close to heaven.  We’re blessed in that my businesses are online and I also telecommute as a software developer; so there’s no conflict or limitations there.

I enjoyed your outlook on her dream job!  We’ll work on our list a bit and see if we can’t narrow it down.

@DocSpouse this is literally my job — I’m in charge of helping graduating residents find a job. Here are my thoughts.

Click to expand…

@mpmd – Will definitely reach out and thanks for the offer of your expertise.  I’ll PM you shortly.

Jeez it looks like you came to the right place for information! I am usually impressed with this forum but wow you out did yourselves here.

Click to expand…

@lordosis – Indeed, everyone has offered some great things for us to think about.  I expected a response or two if we were lucky, but this has been overwhelming.  Thanks to all who responded.  It’s deeply appreciated.

It appears there’s a general consensus that personal networking is still the way to go, even if we’re not necessarily interested in her peers’ current geographic location.  We’ll make a better effort to reach out to current and former coworkers, in addition to the other avenues we’re taking.

I’ll also bring up with my wife the national meetings angle.  She’s attended many in the past, but was planning on cutting back this year because of the new addition to our household.  We may have completely overlooked the networking opportunities that would afford.  We may need to revisit and see what’s available in our area, at least.  I doubt we’ll make Vegas this year, though.  Sorry, wish we could! 😛

Finally, it looks like we need to do a bit more research on the differences between an academic position and the other options we have.  It sounds as if there’s some significant differences we may not have been aware of, especially with time-frames?

All of this is of great help.  Again, thanks to everyone who contributed.

Edit: Ugh, liked my own post by accident.  Yay, me?

#228834 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
    Participant

“ This is more of a “who you know” type of scenario, most jobs are filled before the postings ever go live. ”

It’s not where your current fellowship that counts in networking. You mentors and fellows will have contacts all over the USA. National meetings and the various subcommittees extend even farther. Don’t kid yourself, name dropping counts. An introduction of even a two minute phone call gets YOUR call answered. Memories are extremely long in academics.
    Example: One institution had ZERO opportunity available this year. On a second scouting trip (after offer) for another academic institution in a completely different location a text appeared “ Have you signed yet? Let’s talk at 7pm tonight”. If you have a sincere interest, it’s simply matching an opening with best candidate available. The informal verbal communication gives a thumbs up.

#228836 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
    Participant

You should just call groups in the specialty that you are in that are in the city that you want to be in.   They will appreciate not having to pay for the advertising costs associated with finding a new associate.   Definitely do not use a physician recruiter, they do not cost you anything but they charge the employers a lot of money (20-30K sometimes), money that could be going into your signing bonus or money that would dissuade them from picking you as a candidate.  Jobs are not hard to find, most physicians have an online presence and don’t mind taking a 2 minute phone call from a physician looking for a job.

#228869 Reply

Reply To: First steps for applying to post-training positions?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear