Menu

First Attending Job Questions

Home Practice Management First Attending Job Questions

•  GoBlueMD 
    Participant

It’s common in Rads. Other specialties may do things differently.

#171740 Reply
     doctorhubby 
    Participant

Thanks for the response so far.  So wRVU cf=$45, definitely below median but this seems dept dependent and not individual, but will look into further regarding flexibility.  It doesn’t seem like they’re desperate as they’ve apparently passed on other candidates.  I think they’re just looking for the right person.  Also, they mentioned that what they offered was their standard package, I’m not sure if that’s lingo for non-negotiable?

#171761 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

There are a lot of factors in play for all of it.  Fit is always crucial for a group, especially a small to medium size one regardless of specialty. If you guys have scoped out the practice and really like it and the town, maybe don’t be as aggressive regarding what you ask.  More seasoned people here can help you better phrase those requests.  I got lucky because the most junior person at my future practice told me that she wouldn’t let me get low-balled like she did, and she definitely came through.  It’s best to gauge how fair the offer is for the specialty, location, and workload. If the people are transparent about which contract aspects they feel are negotiable, then work with those.  Totally fair to ask what does 100% RVU = in real dollars.  From everything else you listed at the start, it sounds like a pretty good gig.

And remember, the first job isn’t always the only or last job

Earn everything.

#171782 Reply
     Doc Spouse 
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Also, they mentioned that what they offered was their standard package, I’m not sure if that’s lingo for non-negotiable?

Click to expand…

All that means for sure is that’s the starting offer.  There’s always room to negotiate, and you shouldn’t feel uncomfortable doing so.  Figure out what’s important to you and what isn’t.  Negotiation is a give and take.

Kudos for starting this so early, and thanks for posting.  My wife and I are in a similar situation (fellowship ends in 2020) and many of your questions and the answers provided are pertinent to us, as well.  Keep us updated on how it goes!

#171815 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc, Tim
     Tim 
    Participant
    Also, they mentioned that what they offered was their standard package, I’m not sure if that’s lingo for non-negotiable?

Click to expand…

Boiler plate contract. The only way you find out is to request changes. But walk carefully, because mutual agreement is the goal.

https://www.acponline.org/system/files/documents/running_practice/practice_management/human_resources/employment_contracts.pdf

A template of a contract is include. You may find some of the self and opportunity assessment tools provide a list of items to checkoff, or potentially evaluate.

This is a template of course, but you may identify items to include that you wish to add. It’s worth a quick read to see which add value in the process.

#171827 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
     doctorhubby 
    Participant

Thanks for the acp document, good stuff.  It is interesting to hear others opinions regarding negotiation, and it seems that it really varies.  In my research, I’ve come across some saying they’ve had job offers pulled or they rescinded a job offer during the negotiation process.  Based on what we know about the employer, community, and their/our circumstances, I’m starting to feel a more delicate approach may be in order for negotiation and my wife certainly won’t even be disappointed to accept the offer as is.

#171885 Reply
     Tim 
    Participant
    I’m starting to feel a more delicate approach may be in order

Click to expand…

One of the easiest ways in contracts, have a discussion on each section of the contract simply to make sure their are no misunderstandings or miscommunications (that you potentially might want a change.  The approach is “Oh, you mean license fees aren’t reimbursed?”, “Vacation days are separate from CME?”. The point is to open up a discussion and the window to ask for a “clarification” can be put in the contract. Even words like “What is the process you follow in making any changes in the wording or the terms?” You approach it as a review simply to make sure both parties are on the same page.

Of course you already have the items you want to see if they have flexibility from whatever review you have done. You also don’t want to nitpick them to death. It is your new employer and by no means do you want it to go south. You only can politely ask “Is this the best you can do?”

#171896 Reply

Reply To: First Attending Job Questions

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear