Menu

Fatlittlepig\'s Question for POF (Physician on Fire)

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Fatlittlepig\'s Question for POF (Physician on Fire)

Participant

My starting point is that I’m fortunate to enjoy my work and make a good living. But medicine was always a compromise for me, because I have many other things I’d like time for, and my identity is decidedly not excessively tied up in being a physician. The alternatives to medicine were financially risky (eg, poet) or emotional death (Wall Street). So I picked a compromise path, one that was meaningful, financially secure, and I could do it 4 days a week to gain some sense of balance for other activities. Stopping whenever possible has always been a desireably goal, and when it happens will be a cause for celebration, though I’ll miss aspects of it.

I see it as FIRWR, Financially Independent Retire When Reasonable. The moment I think I’ve reached Reasonable (I’m not interested in a risky retirement, I intend to walk away from trading time for money forever), I will retire. Of course, at this point it will not be RE.

I see no moral dimension to it, it’s solely a practical question: can I afford it?

Also, I wouldn’t want to work any harder now for the sake of the future – I’m already doing all the delayed gratification I can stomach – because the future may never come. For me there needs to be a reasonable balance between living for now and preparing for then, and it’s already more skewed toward preparing for the future than I’d wish, but I’m a practical person who seeks safety too. Compromises. And four more years!

Participant

@antares,
    4 more years depending on how the bar fights turn out!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFFXVLyMSMwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Good luck.

#206264 Reply
    Liked by Antares
    Participant

LOL, and thanks for watching, Tim!

#206266 Reply

Reply To: Fatlittlepig\'s Question for POF (Physician on Fire)

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear