Menu

Fatlittlepig takes on the Peloton

Home The Lounge Fatlittlepig takes on the Peloton

Participant

I run the Kickr with Trainerroad, doing 3-5 high intensity rides per week. Never understood the appeal of Zwift …

First time ever I am not hating the trainer.

Click to expand…

Not sure if you are in to cycling podcast or not but the trainerroad guys have a fantastic podcast called “ask a cycling coach”

#241854 Reply
    Participant

The resort fatlittlepig is staying at right now has a couple of Peloton bikes in the gym. I’ve been trying it out. It’s actually a lot of fun, is it worth $2000 with 30 bucks (or whatever) monthly subscription?? I guess if you use it regularly it very well may be. The class leaderboard is very motivating.

Click to expand…

My gut reaction was, “that Peloton nonsense is too expensive!” Then, in less than three seconds I realized I own a road bike, a touring/commuter/gravel bike with a pull behind trailer, a $7k full suspension mountain bike, a bmx bike, a tandem, a single speed commuter for going on the train, and all the accessories needed to ride these bikes (bike racks, helmets, pads, kits, spare parts, tools, food/drink). Additionally, I want to upgrade my old road bike and want both a designated dirt jumper and DH bike.

So… financially speaking, I’ll show myself out. 😉

I’ll leave my argument as this: I prefer to ride outside. At least I utilize my VHCOL area to be outside?

#241994 Reply
    Liked by Eye3md, Zaphod
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    $7k full suspension mountain bike

Click to expand…

:O

I am not sure what my bike cost.  My brother and I got matching Mongoose bikes when I was 14.  I beat the heck out of mine and rode it into the ground by the end of college.  The other just sat in a garage and was like new.  I took it with me to medical school and still have it now.  It is kinda a POS (brakes do not work well and most gears are busted) but I really only ride it to keep pace with the kids on their bikes. Maybe we then kids are older and we do some real biking it would be time to get something new.  I doubt I will spend 7K on it though.  I hope not even a tenth of that.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#242017 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

I am not sure what my bike cost.  My brother and I got matching Mongoose bikes when I was 14.  I beat the heck out of mine and rode it into the ground by the end of college.  The other just sat in a garage and was like new.  I took it with me to medical school and still have it now.  It is kinda a POS (brakes do not work well and most gears are busted) but I really only ride it to keep pace with the kids on their bikes. Maybe we then kids are older and we do some real biking it would be time to get something new.  I doubt I will spend 7K on it though.  I hope not even a tenth of that.

Click to expand…

YEAAAAAA… we all have our luxuries 🙂 Hopefully I’ll ride this for at least a few years. It was a carbon, high-end, boutique brand, full suspension designed as a “do-it-all” bike (a few suspension upgrades). So I don’t really need, or plan to get the designated dirt jumper or DH bike (just want…). Could I have spent $2-3k less on the bike and still gotten the job done? Yes. Have I been riding bikes for my entire life, have boutique taste, and am too chi-chi for that? Also yes.

I just double checked, it was $6171.50, plus I live in CA, so $570.86 in tax. So, technically under $7k.

As I’ve told my wife before, at least I’m not into cars.

#242025 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Lordosis
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

maybe i’ll post a picture of Fatlittlepig’s bike… Let’s just say I don’t lock it when I go to the store… (it rides great)

#242040 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    childay childay 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

maybe i’ll post a picture of Fatlittlepig’s bike… Let’s just say I don’t lock it when I go to the store… (it rides great)

Click to expand…

Be sure to wear your capri pants!

Myself, biking never seemed the most efficient way to exercise.  Had to really work to get the heart going.  Elliptical I hardly do anything by comparison.

#242046 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Myself, biking never seemed the most efficient way to exercise.  Had to really work to get the heart going.  Elliptical I hardly do anything by comparison.

Click to expand…

I do not bike for exercise.

https://gfycat.com/disloyalalarmingblackbear-george-costanza-working-out-seinfeld

I always prefer the stair climber or just an empty stairwell.

Rowers are nice full body.

Click to expand…

Glad to see we have similar taste in bikes

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#242049 Reply
    Liked by ACN
    Participant

I’ll leave my argument as this: I prefer to ride outside. At least I utilize my VHCOL area to be outside?

Click to expand…

My only question is where do you keep all of that gear???

#242099 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, danesgod
    Participant

Click to expand…

I do not bike for exercise.

https://gfycat.com/disloyalalarmingblackbear-george-costanza-working-out-seinfeld

I always prefer the stair climber or just an empty stairwell.

Rowers are nice full body.

Click to expand…

Glad to see we have similar taste in bikes

Click to expand…

@lordosis

this is a great bike. Only one set of brakes work and the gears don’t work but the bike is in the highest gear setting so it works out. And it has a basket. It’s also theft proof and doesn’t need to be locked.

https://ibb.co/L8cq8Sz

#242128 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

Schwinn’s are treasures. In my city you would need to hire security, preferably armed. I’d give it 5-10 minutes.

BTW, two Pelotons were replaced with Relaxation Rooms. Short version, expensive vibrating chairs. Amenity upgrades. The complex does have Valet Bike Parking.

#242131 Reply
    Participant

this is a great bike. Only one set of brakes work and the gears don’t work but the bike is in the highest gear setting so it works out. And it has a basket. It’s also theft proof and doesn’t need to be locked.

Click to expand…

Sorry FLP, but that is an ugly bike. A bike should be a thing of beauty, a highly functional piece of industrial art. Also, you should be able to fix your own brakes and gears. And panniers are better than baskets ( if you stop by your local brewery on your  ride home from work the growler of craft beer will rattle in a basket, but can nestle cozily in a pannier).

#242136 Reply
    Liked by Eye3md, danesgod
    Participant

Click to expand…

Sorry FLP, but that is an ugly bike. A bike should be a thing of beauty, a highly functional piece of industrial art. Also, you should be able to fix your own brakes and gears. And panniers are better than baskets ( if you stop by your local brewery on your  ride home from work the growler of craft beer will rattle in a basket, but can nestle cozily in a pannier).

Click to expand…

Yep it’s ugly which is actually a good thing. (See the part where it’s theft proof.)

#242140 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Yep it’s ugly which is actually a good thing. (See the part where it’s theft proof.)

Click to expand…

So, are you going to buy a Peloton? Our referral codes await your answer!

#242281 Reply
    Participant

Nah too expensive for fatlittlepig. maybe i’ll lobby my local gym to get one.

#242322 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

The resort fatlittlepig is staying at right now

Click to expand…

Nah too expensive for fatlittlepig

Click to expand…

???

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#242343 Reply

Reply To: Fatlittlepig takes on the Peloton

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear