Menu

Fatlittlepig takes on the Peloton

Home The Lounge Fatlittlepig takes on the Peloton

• CM CM 
    Participant

I have nothing useful to add but this Twitter feed is pretty hilarious.

https://mobile.twitter.com/clueheywood/status/1089699762331217920?lang=en

Click to expand…

Thank you for this. 🙂

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#241217 Reply
    Participant

My wife just got a Landice treadmill. 2.5 x peleton on the credit card. Happy wife, happy life, that’s what I keep telling myself.

#241222 Reply
    Participant

The resort fatlittlepig is staying at right now has a couple of Peloton bikes in the gym. I’ve been trying it out. It’s actually a lot of fun, is it worth $2000 with 30 bucks (or whatever) monthly subscription?? I guess if you use it regularly it very well may be. The class leaderboard is very motivating.

Click to expand…

My wife purchased one and loves it. Now that we have warm weather, she’s not been using it but in the winter it gets used a lot. She loves the variety of instructors and workouts.  It’s certainly an expensive toy and it sucks to see it sitting, unused, during the warm months but it makes her happy……as another said “happy wife, happy life”

I am am an avid cyclists (and runner).  Have my bike on a “smart” trainer and I use a cycling format allied Zwift. My rides are done in the morning before I go to work. It’s a great way to get a really intense workout done with 60-90 minutes of time. I also have a power meter on my bike that gives me an analysis of calories burned during my cycling training ride.  If I do one hour of riding, where I focus on “threshold” work for the majority of it, my calories burned is close to 900/hour. On the weekends, I go outside. I’ve not used the Peloton

#241227 Reply
    Participant

I have almost 100 rides.  I purchased in early 2016.  This was before they had the boutiques all over the country.  I was researching local spin classes when I saw an ad.  We were headed to NYC for vacation, so I fit aan in-studio ride in.  Loved it!

Hightly suggest that you do a ride in one of the boutiques.  You get a chance to test it out before pulling the trigger.

#wareagle

#241243 Reply
    Liked by adventure
    Participant

We bought ours in January. We live 5 min from planet fitness but getting there more than twice a week was impossible with 2 kids. I’ve done ~150 rides and ~20 or so running workouts on a planet fitness tread. So that averages to 5-6 days/week if you remove weeks we go away. Well worth $40/m. I love the bike, and this is coming from a never cyclist. The audio classes for running are great since having a set program definitely helps with motivation. I lost 8 lbs unintentionally, going from 144 to 136. Back to unhealthy underweight!

My wife has overcome her exercise allergy and done ~130 rides. To her it’s more of a chore, but being back to a size 0 makes her happy. Her back pain has gone away too, between cycling and some light weight lifting.

You can buy a different bike and do the app for $20/m but the all-in-one integration is worth the money.

#241250 Reply
    Liked by Banditfist
    Participant

We were one of the 1st people to get the Peloton tread and love it. Have been using it for months. Wife uses it practically daily and it’s even turned me into someone who “runs”.

The tread is expensive but really a high quality treadmill. Probably near a Woodway level (but noregularly. Very high quality screen and I love the scenic runs in addition to the clases.

I also have a Planet Fatness membership (cheap) and weight lifting equipment in the garage. All of this gets used.
    IMO, exercise equipment is worth the spend if you use it regulary.

#241252 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

The resort fatlittlepig is staying at right now has a couple of Peloton bikes in the gym. I’ve been trying it out. It’s actually a lot of fun, is it worth $2000 with 30 bucks (or whatever) monthly subscription?? I guess if you use it regularly it very well may be. The class leaderboard is very motivating.

Click to expand…

My wife purchased one and loves it. Now that we have warm weather, she’s not been using it but in the winter it gets used a lot. She loves the variety of instructors and workouts.  It’s certainly an expensive toy and it sucks to see it sitting, unused, during the warm months but it makes her happy……as another said “happy wife, happy life”

I am am an avid cyclists (and runner).  Have my bike on a “smart” trainer and I use a cycling format allied Zwift. My rides are done in the morning before I go to work. It’s a great way to get a really intense workout done with 60-90 minutes of time. I also have a power meter on my bike that gives me an analysis of calories burned during my cycling training ride.  If I do one hour of riding, where I focus on “threshold” work for the majority of it, my calories burned is close to 900/hour. On the weekends, I go outside. I’ve not used the Peloton

Click to expand…

Do you have a KICKR? That thing is amazing, but I detest the trainer. Its awesome for its ability to use Zwift or even back in the day I would load up videos of rides with GPS data and you could redo a Mt Lemmon ride with friends, with recreation of slope on the erg. Pretty crazy whats available now.

The actual peloton bike is super expensive and somewhat basic, and I wouldnt do any of the classes they have as I’ve years of workouts and know  my zones and what works for me. I dont need anything other than music to do my ride but most wont have full on training plans or specific goals.

#241263 Reply
    Participant
    is it worth $2000 with 30 bucks (or whatever) monthly subscription?? I guess if you use it regularly it very well may be

Click to expand…
    I’m way too cheap to get a peloton

Click to expand…

ok…thanks for starting the discussion.

#241267 Reply
    SerrateAndDominate SerrateAndDominate 
    Participant

I don’t know much about the bikes, but I remember the CEO/founder/whatever saying sales were stagnant until they significantly raised the price. It’s like there was a sudden prestige with the item because it costs $2k instead of $1k.

Earn everything.

#241280 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Hank, Lordosis
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Do you have a KICKR? That thing is amazing, but I detest the trainer. Its awesome for its ability to use Zwift or even back in the day I would load up videos of rides with GPS data and you could redo a Mt Lemmon ride with friends, with recreation of slope on the erg. Pretty crazy whats available now.

The actual peloton bike is super expensive and somewhat basic, and I wouldnt do any of the classes they have as I’ve years of workouts and know  my zones and what works for me. I dont need anything other than music to do my ride but most wont have full on training plans or specific goals.

Click to expand…

I used to have a Kurt Kinetic rock n roll trainer. I’d watch Tour de France videos and spin with (had a powertap hub for the rear wheel). Now, I have a Tacx Neo and love it. No longer have to use a “trainer” tire, for the rear wheel, because you take the rear wheel off. Sometimes I’ll use erg mode but most of the time I do not. When I had the trainer, it was a drag to go down and spin. Now, with the Tacx Neo (and Zwift), I really enjoy the indoor workouts.  Your idea of doing a simulated Mt Lemmon ride would be very cool. One of my favorite places to ride. Done that one many times…..mainly just to get a gigantic delicious cookie at the top

#241312 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

I run the Kickr with Trainerroad, doing 3-5 high intensity rides per week. Never understood the appeal of Zwift …

First time ever I am not hating the trainer.

#241559 Reply
    Liked by Eye3md, Zaphod
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I run the Kickr with Trainerroad, doing 3-5 high intensity rides per week. Never understood the appeal of Zwift …

First time ever I am not hating the trainer.

Click to expand…

Ive done zwift a couple times, but Im just not into it. Last thing I want on the trainer is a group ride type thing, I am getting work done and thats it. Im sure you can do that on zwift too, but I dont need more than music and whatever work intervals I am shooting for.

#241572 Reply
    Participant

I have nothing useful to add but this Twitter feed is pretty hilarious.

https://mobile.twitter.com/clueheywood/status/1089699762331217920?lang=en

Click to expand…

Thank you for this. 🙂

Click to expand…

Everyone needs this thread.

#241687 Reply
    Liked by CM
    Participant

I thought cycle bars were those bars that travel around touristy cities and are powered by the customers peddling.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QiQ3DyvMy3TUhVxc9

I thought indoor gyms were only for us folk who live in areas with crappy weather. What’s the point of paying that sunshine tax if you spend your time driving to another place to go inside?

Click to expand…

U got a good point. I like the gym for the weights and the elliptical. I also run outside. I’m way too cheap to get a peloton although I think it’s a good machine. I think if it were 500-700 without a monthly fee it would be tempting.

Click to expand…

I paid 300 for a basic stationary bike with a 40lb fly wheel on amazon. The app (at least at the time I signed up) is $15 monthly. I set my phone on the handlebars and put on some ear phones. Can airplay it to your apple TV if you are so inclined. The only functional piece you lose with this maneuver is the ability to track your cadence and resistance. There are cadence sensors you can install for cheap. For resistance I feel like I have gotten to know my bike and know how many turns of the knob I takes to get to each level. I am well over 100 rides and enjoy the yoga workouts as well as a wind down from work.

#241692 Reply
    Participant
    What’s the point of paying that sunshine tax if you spend your time driving to another place to go inside?

Click to expand…

Problem with sunshine state was sometimes it gets too sunshiny.

We were in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago and the resort had beach yoga included in the resort fees. It stated at 8AM, a not ungodly hour. But the problem is that the sun is out quite a bit in the sky by that hour. It became so hot (not from the yoga) by 8.30AM that I was sweating profusely and my glasses kept slipping while doing the dog pose. 🙁

Now I know what hot-yoga was all about.

A day later I decided to just use the conditioned gym in the hotel and do some cycling.

#241705 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Zaphod

Reply To: Fatlittlepig takes on the Peloton

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear