Menu

fam doc job that has summers off?

Home General/Welcome fam doc job that has summers off?

• q-school q-school 
    Participant

Sounds like a sweet gig, fulfilling as well.

What do the students do if they need care during break?

Click to expand…

clinics remain open, but staffing requirements are obviously a lot lower, so they usually are able to offer flexible scheduling for physicians and APPs.

if students need help at night or when clinic closed, they go to local urgent care or ED.  🙂

#224604 Reply
    Participant

We make it very clear that we do not provide care over the summer or over breaks.  I spend time at each appointment going over the student’s plan for care during these times.  We have an on call service for evenings and in case of an emergency the student is transported to the ED.  There is a full time staff that is on-call and makes sure that students get the care they need but the medical care itself is outsourced.  I know different institutions handle it differently.  Some colleges still have infirmaries that provide 24/7 care during the academic year.  I get paid a stipend to check in during the off weeks.  I usually have to answer a few emails.  Yes – I think it is a sweet gig.  Plus get to use all the facilities at the institution (gym, pool, art exhibits, theatre) and the physical environment is beautiful.

#224656 Reply
    Liked by G
    Participant

I work at a university mental health center.  I really enjoy it.  I get fall break, winter break, spring break, summers off.  I only work 24 hours a week right now but if I was interested in bumping it up – my kids would get tuition benefits.  At the place i work you get 100 percent if you attend this school and 50 percent at other schools. Not sure if that is taxable as I haven’t gone permanent yet. I have a few other smaller jobs that are year round but I decided having my work load drop significantly at times when my children are off from school was worth the cut in pay.  My hourly pay is less than I could make elsewhere – but I also get to try to make a difference with young adults at a critical time in their lives.  They are fun population. You might look into it.

Click to expand…

Goat mom, this sounds amazing!  Do universities typically have a health center separate from a mental health center?

We, too, feel it’s worth the pay cut to have md be home more and spend time with the kids while they are young. We would just have him do a couple of locums here or there if we needed extra money. But the big thing about finding a job is to have some kind of health insurance.

May I ask what state you are in?  Would only large universities have university health centers or do med sized and small colleges also have them?  Just wondering what the best way to go about finding job opportunities like this.

#224677 Reply
    Participant

I work at a small liberal arts college.  Some places have separate facilities for mental health – other places have them combined.  I think most colleges and universities have some form of a health clinic and a counseling center.  There are professional societies such as the New York State College Health Association that has meetings and also post job listings.  Nationally – there is the American College Health Association.  Probably most states have their own.  Just peeked at the New York website and there was at least one listing.

#224699 Reply

Reply To: fam doc job that has summers off?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear