Menu

fam doc job that has summers off?

Home General/Welcome fam doc job that has summers off?

• CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

That seems like a low chance that jobs exists out there. Urgent care may be your best bet, however, it will likely be tough to find one that doesn’t involve evenings, weekends, and summers.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#221762 Reply
    Participant

University health clinic would likely be the best bet but no idea the pay scale.

Maybe Arizona, when the population drops dramatically with HOT summers? Would think they need more docs from Sept through May than during their super hot summers, may be a win-win….

#221763 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

As a semi-serious/semi-joking suggestion, you could always take a job and get “deathly sick” for 8 weeks during the summer. I bet you could get a few years out of that job before they caught on and fired you.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#221766 Reply
    Participant

I don’t see how this would be possible in an outpatient setting.  Your partners would resent you because they would have to pick up your patients when you’re gone.

You could get away with something like that as a hospitalist doing prn/locum work no problem.  You’d have to be willing to work as a locum in less desirable locations most likely because the big hospitals in city centers are going to be full of full time docs and won’t be interested in prn people as much…unless you’re willing to work nights.

I am currently working as a prn hospitalist in a rural location.  It has it’s downsides for sure, but the fact I can tell them when I want to work and how many days and I don’t have to ask permission to take time off is amazing.  I took a month off this past January/February for a trip to LA and Hawaii and no one even knew about it (or asked).  I just didn’t sign up for any shifts during those weeks.  I take 2 weeks off all the time.  I have a random block off 11 days off coming up at the end of this month that I didn’t even request, it was just the way the schedule was made.

The potential downside is of course that there could come a day where they fill their shifts with full time docs and don’t need me any more, but it’s highly unlikely since it’s in an undesirable location and not the greatest hours or call schedule.  There’s a downside to everything though.

#221792 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, MPMD, Kamban, Tim
    Participant

If you’re willing to live in Yuma, AZ I guarantee they would take you.

#221795 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

You didn’t mention your kids age. As they hit the middle school and high school, THEIR availability during summers changes drastically. Finding a “free week” can be a challenge, it was easier to schedule vacation from work than to disrupt “very important” schedules. My point, they have a window that the family time produces significant benefits.

Anecdotally, I always envied my brother and SIL. Teachers with summers off every year of their working lives! Summer off season tourist area or education related clinics are the only two that come to mind that would have reduced demand.

#221804 Reply

Lol. Millennials.

Click to expand…

yes…did you want to add to that?

#221810 Reply
    Participant

There were definitely some family docs at the student health clinic at the undergrad affiliated with my training program. I might contact the health centers of every university in a reasonable driving distance if I were you as a start….otherwise besides a telepsych job or locums (doesn’t provide benefits) I’m stumped.

Would you ever consider working in corrections or a state psychiatric hospital? The family docs at the state hospitals I worked at all had great hours and gigs, great benefits and good hours. Ample sick days. If  patients are overly agitated, you just don’t seem immediately or see them with police/security presence….lots of moms do this job and seem to like it…..

#221811 Reply
    Liked by childay
    Participant

I wouldn’t live in or recommend Yuma for any schedule.

#221820 Reply
    Liked by Anne, Tim
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

Our kids are 10, 8, 6, and 4. We anticipate their summers being fairly free up until our oldest heads off to high school or college. But point well taken. I think that’s why we feel the time sensitivity of freeing up time now while they are young and want to spend time with us a priority.

I’m interested to see how it goes for pof. Currently, we haven’t reached our magic retirement number but even if we did I don’t think we would fully retire now since we have found having a part-time work schedule while kids are doing school helps us have structure.

#221843 Reply
    Participant

Psyched, thanks for the advice about checking out student health clinics at universities near us. Will give that a try.

#221844 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

Psyched, thanks for the advice about checking out student health clinics at universities near us. Will give that a try.

Click to expand…

Seems like a great option.  Aside from some work-share if you could find a partial retiree with no young children, going to be difficult I suspect, especially in family medicine.  Suppose urgent care or telemed urgent care etc might work but depends on what you can tolerate

#221934 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I only know of two situations that have summers off.

both have been mentioned i believe.

the more common route is to work at a university clinic, which typically has many opportunities for 9 mo gig.  It is also accompanied by less pay, usually significantly less and on top of that 3/4 based on your desired scheduled.

the second is hospitalist work.  I know of a few people who overload the rest of the year so that they can take the time they desire off.  Some hospitals permit it, some do not.  Sometimes they have to fly back for ten days in the middle and work a bunch of days and two weekends to meet some requirements, but others have jobs that they were able to negotiate the flexibility upfront.

otherwise it is really difficult to find a job share or part time work where this request can be accommodated.  Or at least, i am not familiar with these other opportunities.

Good luck.

#221983 Reply
    Participant

locums

Click to expand…

university clinic

Click to expand…

urgent care

Click to expand…

We have one doc who basically goes where she is needed and covers extended leaves

Click to expand…

These are the options we’ve seen.

#222089 Reply
    Participant
    I’m interested to see how it goes for pof.

Click to expand…

Well, remember the applicability of POF comes with a couple of asterisks.  One, his burn rate of 80k/yr.  Two, the robust income stream from the blog.

We anticipate their summers being fairly free up until our oldest heads off to high school or college.

Click to expand…

I’m getting to the stage where the kid would rather be “hanging out” with friends than playing with mommy and daddy; plus there always seems to be recitals/shows/competitions.  I’m sure I was told of those things, but I never processed the meaning.

#222132 Reply
    Liked by Tim

Reply To: fam doc job that has summers off?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear