Menu

Thank you for the advice…

Home General/Welcome Thank you for the advice…

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I too want to tread carefully. Some residencies can be terrible, particularly surgical ones, and I have no doubt being a woman doesn’t help things amongst an already toxic situation. Similarly, good people and great physicians can find themselves in malignant group dynamics they have zero control over and were hidden when they signed on.

That said, you spent 5 (6?7?8 even?) years training and are not boarded certified. You also went through three jobs that all deteriorated in under five years. *These are massive problems for someone with zero exterior stressors.* And between your debt and home life you have enough going on. Major kudos to you both for being married 22 years through both training and active duty. That’s incredible!

My only advice would be to do whatever you need to do to keep your marriage intact. And just like others have said, paying for a good bankruptcy attorney will have a great ROI and finding a great therapist, counselor, psychiatrist to talk through a lot of this with would also be well worth the money.

#207455 Reply
    Participant

edit

#207465 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

Good luck with everything, and I am sorry for your struggle.  This too shall pass….

#207468 Reply
    Liked by Starchanger
    Participant

edit

#207476 Reply
    Participant

OP keep us updated. A lot of reasonable advice posted here. Only you know what’s best course of option for you. Minimize your damages, get rid of debt, live below your mean. Learn your lessons. I want to see where you end up in a couple years.

#207485 Reply
    Liked by Starchanger
    Participant

[Ad hominem attack removed.]

#207486 Reply
    Participant

edit

#207487 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

How hard would it be a this point to get board certified? Without it, only crappy jobs await you.

#207493 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Deleted

#207494 Reply
    Participant

Exhausting and confusing reading about your trials and tribulations. The common thread or theme is I was dealt a bad hand and it wasn’t my fault, somehow it doesn’t ring true.

Click to expand…

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-physician-relationships/obgyn-says-oregons-salem-hospital-is-intentionally-thwarting-her-practice.html

*I* was the physician with the “solid and spotless” record….and this was my very first job out of residency.

Everything was a cascade from there.  Don’t know what else to say.

#207495 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Deleted

#207504 Reply
    Participant

Given what has already been said…. the only thing I will add…..when dealing with future attorney’s and such…. if you do not clearly understand and agree with their plan, do not move forward.  If they can not explain their rationale in simply terms or unwilling to do so, find someone who will.  Once you create and commit to your future written plan, the execution will not be hard to do.  Best of luck.

#207505 Reply
    Liked by Starchanger
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I think you asked two specific questions: how do I close down a practice? and how do I emerge from bankruptcy with a clean slate?  Hopefully others with more knowledge will weigh in, and hopefully you have good professional advice in the form of a bankruptcy attorney.

You will not have an entirely clean slate because your student loans stay with you, so any financial plan needs to include paying those off.  You will also need to make some painful changes: probably moving from HCOL, husband working (and the CPA who told you he shouldn’t bother working because his income would get eaten by taxes doesn’t understand the principle of marginal and effective tax rates), ditching the expensive car.  I know you are a car person, but that’s a luxury right now.  As others have said, get rid of credit lines and pay cash.

You say you never boarded because you didn’t want to practice your speciality.  Is this because you dislike the speciality itself, or the jobs that you had after residency?  if there is any chance of resurrecting a high-paying surgical speciality career, if only for long enough to get yourself back on solid footing, then do it.

Be an employed physician for a while and let someone else take care of running the practice.  Now, here is the part where I want to tread gently:  I believe you when you say your residency and subsequent jobs were toxic. There are plenty of awful physician jobs out there.  On reflection, are there any red flags that might have warned you before you got into those situations?  Or lessons learned that you can take to future jobs?  Plenty of people on here, myself included, have been through bad jobs and come out the other side and may be able to offer advice.

You sound like a hard worker.  Best of luck to you as you move forward.

Click to expand…

i will add that for an experienced physician to be employed, they will expect you to be board certified or at least become board certified.

best of luck to you.  i hope you read the responses with a thoughtful mind.

#207508 Reply
    Participant

I guess I just don’t see how every job is toxic or whatever. Maybe you have unreasonable expectations?

I don’t understand what you mean, so you weren’t taking an income for 3 years but that seemed like a good business and a practice that would eventually flourish?

Seems like were not getting whole story but reading between lines, it doesn’t make sense.

Get rid of the dogs, you can’t afford them

#207509 Reply
    Liked by portlandia
    Participant

You say your practice has grown 70% the last two years but you still can’t take a salary and still pay your staff? Just doesn’t make sense.

#207510 Reply

Reply To: Thank you for the advice…

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear