Menu

ESA madness invades my clinic

Home The Lounge ESA madness invades my clinic

Participant

I don’t care what the law says. I’m not having a pitbull – whether on a leash or not – in my home or office. A close family member of mine was mauled by two of them (neither of them on a leash, attacked him when he was walking outside at night) and getting the long arm of the law to do anything – except through eventually a civil lawsuit which was done to effect what the criminal justice system should have but didn’t – was next to impossible. It’s not like we got a lot of money out of it either – just the jerks who were letting these beasts out finally put leashes on them and didn’t let them ramble into other peoples’ lives during the day or night.

There’s a reason some 80+% of dog attack fatalities involve pitbulls.

#237466 Reply
    Participant

We do have a policy. We kicked an emotional support lizard out not long ago.

#237467 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant
    #237475 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Bull breeds get a bad rap. The scientific data are pretty clear about this. Naughty owners will have naughty dogs and the consequences are higher for a pit than a chihuahua, but again the data tell us that the fatality rate is probably more a measure of overall population. I mean, how many albino shar pei maulings have you seen?

ENTdoc, glad to hear that you didnt need to try out your workers comp insurance. Maybe you can find out who wrote your patient’s esa note — and call them up asking if they would certify your PTSD diagnosis which does not allow you to ever go back to clinic. Might be kind of fun to tell them you’re documenting their name and license number as a part of your office notes.

#237478 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Bull breeds get an accurate rap. The scientific data are pretty clear about this. Naughty owners will have naughty dogs and the consequences are higher for a pit than a chihuahua, but again the data tell us that the fatality rate is probably more a measure of overall population. I mean, how many albino shar pei maulings have you seen?

ENTdoc, glad to hear that you didnt need to try out your workers comp insurance. Maybe you can find out who wrote your patient’s esa note — and call them up asking if they would certify your PTSD diagnosis which does not allow you to ever go back to clinic. Might be kind of fun to tell them you’re documenting their name and license number as a part of your office notes.

Click to expand…

FIFY 😉

The data is pretty clear, if you get murdered by a dog, more likely than not it was a pit bull.  One dataset I saw, the #2 breed was pitt-mix.  😆  Rott, shep, malnois are a distant, distant ~3rd-4th depending on the year.

We love our pitt mix though.

edit: Don’t want to turn this into a pit bull thread, so you or anyone else can have the final word.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#237552 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

I am not aware of any policy here but wow.  No way I’m letting an unrestrained pit-bull wander around as I’m doing a procedure.

The issue for me is these “support” animals are mostly just pets.  And mostly badly trained and behaved.  At least if it’s an actual service dog (not a fake one) one can reasonably assume it will follow commands, not jump on or attack you etc etc.  Farting, eh probably gonna happen.

Click to expand…

They are all just pets.

Ok, virtually all.  99.8% or something.

Real support animals and service animals cost money.  Even just a support animal is supposed to be carefully selected for certain traits and then subsequently thoroughly trained to be well behaved and to weather a lot of variables at home and in public.  This costs thousands of dollars.  A guide dog can be tens of thousands of dollars.

These days the fake support animal crowd has changed the definition.  Now a support animal is any creature with a vest.  Aka a poorly dressed pet.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#237555 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis

Reply To: ESA madness invades my clinic

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear