Menu
The forum is temporarily closed for new topics and comments. We are working on improving your forum experience. Stay tuned!

Emotional Support Animals

Home The Lounge Emotional Support Animals

• Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Now that airlines and landlords are not accepting letters from therapists anymore I have been getting a bunch more requests.

Click to expand…

And how are you responding?

Click to expand…

I have not done one yet and I do not plan to start.

Our county mental health office called me on a mutual patient and asked if I would write one because they do not do it anymore.  This was a psychiatrist!  I asked her if she will not do it then why would I do it?  She admitted to calling me just to appease the patient.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#223482 Reply
    Participant

Now that airlines and landlords are not accepting letters from therapists anymore I have been getting a bunch more requests.

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Our county mental health office called me on a mutual patient and asked if I would write one because they do not do it anymore.  This was a psychiatrist!  I asked her if she will not do it then why would I do it?  She admitted to calling me just to appease the patient.

Click to expand…

Um, insane. A decent fellow doc would just have said it’s not in their scope, here’s the number, call yourself.

#223518 Reply
    Participant

We don’t write them. I feel bad sometimes. But I don’t want to be responsible when your emotional support bat gives a bunch of people rabies.

#223531 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Having a son with autism, I can completely empathize on the benefit of an emotional support animal.

That said, human safety takes precedence over individual comfort. We routinely vacate space for others with more sensitive disabilties . It’s the right thing to do.

What gets me is when the involved party makes it a demand. Happened actually this week when we were on southwest flight. We preboarded and took first row due to son kicks all the time and makes a terrible experience for the passenger in front otherwise.

At the end on boarding, a lady comes in who missed preboard and demanded her medical issue necessitate first row. At first I was going to volunteer but then she got demanding and contentious with the crew who were standing their ground as they knew our own situation when we preoboarded. I declined to volunteer. She ultimately left the plane to reschedule as she didn’t want to sit on the other side second row.

Honey gets more than vinegar and even if you qualify for something, better to be nice and cognizant of others’ needs. [Endrant]

Click to expand…

good for you, good for your son, and good for the crew.

the Dean of Students at my med school provided us with a piece of enduring wisdom that is a great thing to always keep in mind, “some people are just jerks.”

#223551 Reply
    childay childay 
    Participant

Even worse than these “support animals” are the fake service dogs

#223593 Reply
    Liked by snowcanyon
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

We’re working on establishing a clinic policy to not write these letters. They can go online and pay $75 or whatever to get the letter there. Much easier to block these requests if there is a clinic policy so the provider can externalize the blame to “the system” and avoid the headache of getting yelled at by these (99% of the time) personality disordered patients.

It would make a great skit for Jimmy Kimmel etc if they booked like 80% of the seats on some cheap Burbank to Vegas flight on a Tuesday then had everyone show up with a bogus service pet and rolled the cameras

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#223918 Reply
    Participant

What type of medical issue makes you require bulkhead?!?!

#224426 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Just had someone call in asking for me to write a letter because the letter from the therapist does not count and their psychiatrist will not write it.

#235116 Reply
    Liked by Tim, RocDoc
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Just had someone call in asking for me to write a letter because the letter from the therapist does not count and their psychiatrist will not write it.

Click to expand…

$25k a pop, all cash. Come on in. I see nothing wrong if you want some emotional support money out of the deal.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#235154 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

I had a patient come in and ask for a ESA letter because he had a puppy, signed a lease, didn’t realize the lease said no pets <1 year. Was brazen/stupid enough to admit he didn’t think his puppy would impact his (probably imaginary) adhd he wanted to discuss too.

It was pretty amazing.

#235161 Reply
    Liked by Tim, childay, Lordosis
    SLC OB SLC OB 
    Participant

My favorite emotional support animal… I want to go to Philly Airport just for this!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/12/18/popeyes-selling-emotional-support-chicken-philadelphia-airport/2353406002/

#235195 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I like the jape. I think they caught a lot of flack from that at the time.

#235196 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

Time to own up. Which one of you wrote this ESA letter?

https://jalopnik.com/there-was-a-freaking-bat-flying-around-inside-a-spirit-1836921374

#236025 Reply
    Participant

How is that safe? Why don’t the airlines wise up and say no? Absolutely ridiculous.

#236044 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp

Reply To: Emotional Support Animals

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear