Menu

EM Climate in Utah

Home General/Welcome EM Climate in Utah

Participant

I am currently a medical student and am very interested in EM. I am trying to get a good gauge on practice conditions in Utah prior to selecting locations for my away rotation(s) (that’s where I did my undergrad and that’s where my wife’s family is so. . . you get it). The ACEP salary survey gives good data for a lot of states, but says nothing is available for Utah. I am curious why there is no available data. Is it something with Intermountain, or is the job market so saturated there for EM docs that there are never any new job postings? I am just curious about what “full-time” is there in Utah, as well as expected compensation, and job availability. Thanks in advance!

#198457 Reply
    Participant
    #198490 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Gosh, I wish I knew of a Utah-based emergency medicine physician who could instruct us on the EM job market. 😉

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#198506 Reply
    Participant

@vagabond: I have to think this was the idea of the OP all along…

#198510 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Utah is largely considered a desirable place so is more difficult finding a job. The good news is…you’re a long ways away from needing to worry about it.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#198537 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Booming economy plus young relatively healthy population means good payor mix. Add the geographical desirability and you can guess why jobs don’t get posted often. Good groups don’t need to advertise their vacancies.

#198565 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Utah has a unique physician market

It attracts the stereotypical ER/anesthesia types (mountain biking, skiing, ultra marathoner type) more than most places

It’s also influenced by all the Mormons wanting to move home often driven by the spouses who like to be near family

It then has a significant portion of the state that no non LDS would want anything to do with (Utah county/Provo)

All of that leads to a pretty saturated salt lake market

#198569 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    The White Coat Investor The White Coat Investor 
    Keymaster

I am currently a medical student and am very interested in EM. I am trying to get a good gauge on practice conditions in Utah prior to selecting locations for my away rotation(s) (that’s where I did my undergrad and that’s where my wife’s family is so. . . you get it). The ACEP salary survey gives good data for a lot of states, but says nothing is available for Utah. I am curious why there is no available data. Is it something with Intermountain, or is the job market so saturated there for EM docs that there are never any new job postings? I am just curious about what “full-time” is there in Utah, as well as expected compensation, and job availability. Thanks in advance!

Click to expand…

Those salary surveys by Barb Katz are simply taken from CMGs. She doesn’t bother calling small democratic groups. If she did, she would find our salaries for pre-partners are actually quite low. Partners do fine here, although EM is a very competitive business in Salt Lake. We all advertise our wait times and they’re always zero because there are too many ERs here. Right now I have a 28 bed ER with 10 patients in it at 9:30 pm. There was 1 when I got here at 2 pm. We just have too many ERs for salaries to be really high.

That said because we’re not having CMGS siphon off 30% of what we earn we make about as much as ER docs elsewhere (who work much harder for the same money.)

Full time is same as anywhere else, 15-16 8s or 12 12s a month. Expect to make $180-330/hour as a partner (usually closer to 180). You can do the math for an annual income. Expect to pay $15K for malpractice. $800-1500 a month for health/dental depending on the size of your family.

Job availability is another issue. Nobody here advertises because they don’t have to. We probably average 1 hire every 1-2 years in our division because no one ever leaves. At any rate, if you want to work in the Salt Lake Valley, it’s the University, Utah Emergency Physicians at the IHC hospitals, and EPIC/Carepoint everywhere else. Probably your best shot is to work at one of the fancy new free standing EDs staffed by EPIC/Carepoint, but no guarantee you’ll be able to move from there to a “real ED” any time soon, if at all.

Sorry. But Utah is a net exporter of med students and a big chunk of them want to come back here after training. It’s even worse for dentists.

Site/Forum Owner, Emergency Physician, Blogger, and author of The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
    Helping Those Who Wear The White Coat Get A "Fair Shake" on Wall Street since 2011

#198572 Reply
    Participant

I know a few docs who reside in Utah and commute for work to Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, and (strangely) Colorado. The airport there is apparently pretty easy to deal with, and you are a short hop from many more remunerative jobs in more open markets. Some people seem really happy bunching their shifts and flying to make a bit more money. Even California pays more these days….

Interesting that Katz doesn’t survey SDGs or employed docs.

#198720 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod

Reply To: EM Climate in Utah

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear