Menu

Eero

Home General/Welcome Eero

It’s likely the cable coming from the wall to the old att modem.

#227829 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    ACN ACN 

I just helped put in an eero in my friend’s house who is not tech savvy, I’m definitely very impressed with the speed and coverage in their 5k Sq ft house. It solved all their issues.

I’d recommend it to not tech savvy folk.

If you're ever having a bad day, just remember in 1976 Ronald Wayne sold his 10% stake in Apple for $2,300.

#227843 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Click to expand…

OK, I’m back begging for advice. Yes, it was the cable from something, no idea. So I ordered a coaxial cable and called ATT to tell them I was ready to be approved for service and found out that I need a DSL (router? modem? Are they the same?) instead of a co-ax cable.

I am trying to order a “DSL modem” on AMZ and DSL “routers” keep appearing in recommendations. Is that what I need to go with my new mesh system? Laugh at me, I am beyond clueless in this area, have no self-respect when it comes to technology, but really hope to get my new mesh system hooked up and running before the 30-day return period runs out.

Hubs is no help. He just started texting this year. So I am reduced to begging. Google just gets me confused on this, as did AMZ. Please?

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#229619 Reply
    Hank Hank 

Arris is a cable modem.  You have DSL or U-Verse service, not cable internet.

At least a couple years ago, at&t required you to pay a monthly fee to rent one of their crappy 2Wire DSL modems.  There was no way to buy a modem and not pay a monthly rental fee.

Most cable companies are pretty decent about offering the advertised speeds.  DSL had “up to” speeds that you rarely achieved in the real world.  Likewise, at&t sometimes would roll out fiber to the node in older neighborhoods and fiber to the premises for new construction.  Speeds were limited to the fiber to the node rates even if your house had fiber all the way to your house.  This was purely a business decision, not a technical decision, much to the detriment of the customer.

#229622 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    childay childay 
    Participant

Click to expand…

OK, I’m back begging for advice. Yes, it was the cable from something, no idea. So I ordered a coaxial cable and called ATT to tell them I was ready to be approved for service and found out that I need a DSL (router? modem? Are they the same?) instead of a co-ax cable.

I am trying to order a “DSL modem” on AMZ and DSL “routers” keep appearing in recommendations. Is that what I need to go with my new mesh system? Laugh at me, I am beyond clueless in this area, have no self-respect when it comes to technology, but really hope to get my new mesh system hooked up and running before the 30-day return period runs out.

Hubs is no help. He just started texting this year. So I am reduced to begging. Google just gets me confused on this, as did AMZ. Please?

Click to expand…

Possibly your previous (combination) modem/router had a coax cable running to it.  That is just a cord such as you would plug into your television with the screw on end.  DSL and “cable internet” (note this is nothing to do with co-ax cable) are two different technologies.  Requiring different types of modems.  The router is the contraption that sends signal in your house, after the modem gets the signal (from cable internet, DSL, dial-up, cell-phone signal, or satellite).

AT&T told you you have DSL? DSL is pretty bad around here.  And yeah they may require you to use their own modem, instead of buying one such as you did.

#229627 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

Thank you both for the advice. I live in the country in western KY. I don’t have a lot of choices, so DSL it is. So can anyone tell me what to order when I go to Amazon? I’m going on my “big” vacation (kids and grandkids on the beach, discussed in another thread) Saturday and it would be so nice to have whatever the heck is appropriate waiting for me when I return in the next Saturday.

We have better service at the office, but I do a lot of work from home and would like to avoid having to jump through ATT hoops to get a dude to come out and resolve this with another modem. Appreciate it – you all are The Best.

#229660 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

If you already have WiFi, can’t you just replace the WiFi router without touching the modem?

what are you trying to accomplish?

#229661 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

If you already have WiFi, can’t you just replace the WiFi router without touching the modem?

Click to expand…

Good internet!

Our ATT modem was killed by lightning a few weeks ago. I was excited about the mesh system (and ordered one based upon this thread) but didn’t have a clue what to reorder re: modem/router to make it work.

Please excuse my cluelessness but when you talk modems and routers, I don’t really know the difference. Someone else has always taken care of that for me and my tech employee left over a year ago, leaving me dependent upon the ATT technician, our office’s new outsourced tech firm (which I try not to bother for personal issues, they are flat fee) and my step-daughter’s partner (who is German). Google research seems to assume people like me have a basic level of knowledge in this area, which I don’t. And I’m frustrated, as I hope not to continue with ATT equipment.

I definitely GET it when physicians are in a ball of yarn about what all the financial talk here means. That’s me with wireless technology. I DO know we don’t have access to U-Verse out in the country, only DSL, and must keep praying.

Thank you, TMI, acknowledged.

#229666 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Good internet!

Our ATT modem was killed by lightning a few weeks ago. I was excited about the mesh system (and ordered one based upon this thread) but didn’t have a clue what to reorder re: modem/router to make it work.

Please excuse my cluelessness but when you talk modems and routers, I don’t really know the difference. Someone else has always taken care of that for me and my tech employee left over a year ago, leaving me dependent upon the ATT technician, our office’s new outsourced tech firm (which I try not to bother for personal issues, they are flat fee) and my step-daughter’s partner (who is German). Google research seems to assume people like me have a basic level of knowledge in this area, which I don’t. And I’m frustrated, as I hope not to continue with ATT equipment.

I definitely GET it when physicians are in a ball of yarn about what all the financial talk here means. That’s me with wireless technology. I DO know we don’t have access to U-Verse out in the country, only DSL, and must keep praying.

Thank you, TMI, acknowledged.

Click to expand…

So the modem should be the part that is connected to the wall.  It has a bunch of lights, some should blink.  Typically a rectangular black unit.  This is usually connected to wall with coaxial cable (like cable tv—from cable box to wall with round screw at end to connect to wall)

If you have a separate router, that may have an antenna or if apple it might be a white tall rectangular box which is connected with Ethernet cable to modem (fat telephone cord).

I understand you to say you need a new modem from att and your provider is ATT DSL.  You want to hook up a mesh router to your system, but don’t currently have a router?

correct?

These appear to be compatible modems

Best AT&T Approved DSL Modems in 2019

#229676 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    So the modem should be the part that is connected to the wall.  It has a bunch of lights, some should blink.  Typically a rectangular black unit.  This is usually connected to wall with coaxial cable (like cable tv—from cable box to wall with round screw at end to connect to wall) If you have a separate router, that may have an antenna or if apple it might be a white tall rectangular box which is connected with Ethernet cable to modem (fat telephone cord). I understand you to say you need a new modem from att and your provider is ATT DSL.  You want to hook up a mesh router to your system, but don’t currently have a router? correct?

Click to expand…

Ok, now I know what a modem looks like 😂. I have purchased a “Deco Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System” with 3 silos and it is waiting to be put into action.

A member who has been following my embarrassing journey has very graciously reached out to me and offered to walk me through what I need to do/order/pray for tomorrow. I may name him/her in my will. Much appreciation to everyone who has followed along with my experience and offered their support. There is hope!

#229681 Reply
    Participant

If privacy is a concern you can use one of VPN service providers. I can recommend ProtonVPN. We are paying $96 per year for 5 devices.

Until Amazon or Google acquires them 🙂

#229741 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

If privacy is a concern you can use one of VPN service providers. I can recommend ProtonVPN. We are paying $96 per year for 5 devices.

Until Amazon or Google acquires them 🙂

Click to expand…

Why do you feel the need for vpn?

#229744 Reply
    Participant

ISPs can sell your internet usage history without your consent. It costs me $96 per year to be able to tell them FU and feel good about it.

#229747 Reply
    There is hope!

Click to expand…

update? success?

#230546 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    There is hope!

Click to expand…

update? success?

Click to expand…

So…after ordering the wrong modem, as discussed earlier, a very kind member offered to walk me through the right kind.  30 minutes prior to our scheduled “training”, ATT made a courtesy call and I just caved and ordered from them so as not to waste the time of Kind Member. Should be there waiting when I get back. Thank you for asking. Hopefully this will be my last post until I update on my lightning-fast, whole-house coverage.

#230591 Reply

Reply To: Eero

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear