Menu

Eero

Home General/Welcome Eero

Alright i purchased the Eero 3 pro system for my doctor mansion.

will report back on whether the technically challenged can in fact install this thing.

thanks!

Click to expand…

Inquiring (technically challenged) minds want to know. Is this one of those thingies that works only in metropolitan areas (of which we are the opposite)? Be sure to report back – I’m ready to buy after learning my AT&T modem/router is of stone age vintage

Click to expand…

No worries, it will work anywhere. 😉  Mesh networks function by having parts of the network talk to other parts.  Instead of the old way of having one single router, you now have multiple satellite routers, talking to each other and sharing the load.  This results in much better Wi-Fi coverage since each of those routers are broadcasting/receiving a signal.

Mesh networks are still much more expensive than your average router, but they’ve come down in price significantly.  You can usually find kits starting at $300.  I bought the Orbi a while back and it’s been wonderful.  A huge difference in bandwidth signal/speed on our home network.  Google Wi-Fi was tempting, but I had an issue with them hoovering up everything that comes across our network.

#223038 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Alright i purchased the Eero 3 pro system for my doctor mansion.

will report back on whether the technically challenged can in fact install this thing.

thanks!

Click to expand…

Inquiring (technically challenged) minds want to know. Is this one of those thingies that works only in metropolitan areas (of which we are the opposite)? Be sure to report back – I’m ready to buy after learning my AT&T modem/router is of stone age vintage

Click to expand…

No worries, it will work anywhere.   Mesh networks function by having parts of the network talk to other parts.  Instead of the old way of having one single router, you now have multiple satellite routers, talking to each other and sharing the load.  This results in much better Wi-Fi coverage since each of those routers are broadcasting/receiving a signal.

Mesh networks are still much more expensive than your average router, but they’ve come down in price significantly.  You can usually find kits starting at $300.  I bought the Orbi a while back and it’s been wonderful.  A huge difference in bandwidth signal/speed on our home network.  Google Wi-Fi was tempting, but I had an issue with them hoovering up everything that comes across our network.

Click to expand…

Ok, definitely going shopping. Thanks!

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#223042 Reply
    Participant
    #223045 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

What’s the difference between the device and the beacons? Amazon has a 3-pack of devices and a device and 2 beacons. I’m already confused. Our house is 4,500 sq feet with an apt over the garage and everything else on ground floor, so I’m not sure what’s appropriate. We just have the 1 router/modem from at&t at the moment (just 😝).

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP: I am not your financial advisor; any responses are for general purposes only

#223047 Reply
    What’s the difference between the device and the beacons?

Click to expand…

the device will replace your router/modem.

the beacons are like hubs to extended the blanket of signal.

did you read the article i posted?

for everyone, just FYI, amazon now owns eero. if privacy is a concern, its something to be aware of (see alexa, ring issues in past):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzAuYz0SPs

#223051 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    did you read the article i posted?

Click to expand…

No, sorry, I didn’t realize it was a guide, but I will now.

for everyone, just FYI, amazon now owns eero. if privacy is a concern, its something to be aware of (see alexa, ring issues in past):

Click to expand…

I noticed that Alexa is bundled into some packages, now makes sense. I haven’t made her acquaintance yet, though.

So, if privacy is a big concern, what would you recommend?

#223068 Reply

So, if privacy is a big concern, what would you recommend?

Click to expand…

the netgear option is fine. not saying eero is not private, but ppl just need to be aware of the amazon connection.

#223071 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
    Participant

@jfoxcpacfp

so I bought the top option in the 2 I linked above because my brother told me to. super easy to hook up last night. the instruction manual is literally 37 pages of different languages telling you to download the phone app which baby walks you through every single step.

it came with 3 small tower things. the first one plugs into the cable modem with an Ethernet cable and a wall outlet. after that one was set up, I set one up in the master bedroom where we’ve had small issues with connectivity and the living room to help cover that area and our front porch. each of the other towers just needed another wall outlet to plug into

last night was the first night trying it out and it seems to work really well. relatively cheap option that seems to do the job so far

#223381 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Got rid of dead spots.

install was easy in the big picture of things.

hard parts

1)waiting for modem to power on took longer than i thought

2)finding every wi if item and entering password.  I have over 25 apparently and for sure more will be discovered.

signal strength much better

#223491 Reply
    Participant

Does anyone use these for a wifi connection for gaming? Errr… asking for a friend.

#223496 Reply

It’s fine

#223498 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

Pro tip I just found out. You can rename the WiFi to the same one as the existing WiFi and it should then seemlessly allow you to use your stuff.

Oh well. Never getting that hour of my life back.

#223514 Reply
    Liked by childay
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

@jfoxcpacfp

so I bought the top option in the 2 I linked above because my brother told me to. super easy to hook up last night. the instruction manual is literally 37 pages of different languages telling you to download the phone app which baby walks you through every single step.

it came with 3 small tower things. the first one plugs into the cable modem with an Ethernet cable and a wall outlet. after that one was set up, I set one up in the master bedroom where we’ve had small issues with connectivity and the living room to help cover that area and our front porch. each of the other towers just needed another wall outlet to plug into

last night was the first night trying it out and it seems to work really well. relatively cheap option that seems to do the job so far

Click to expand…

Thanks – I just ordered it. We’ll see if it’s as easy for me to set up as for you 🤞!

#223548 Reply
    Liked by saildawg, Nysoz
    Participant

Keep us updated as I am thinking of making the plunge as well

#223609 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 

@jfoxcpacfp

Click to expand…

Thanks – I just ordered it. We’ll see if it’s as easy for me to set up as for you!

Click to expand…

So I ordered an Arris surfboard SBG6700-AC wireless cable modem gateway to replace the AT&T modem that was knocked out by lightning after I posted above, along with a Deco Whole Home Wireless System. My step-daughter’s boyfriend is trying to set it up and the directions say to “connect the existing coaxial cable” – which doesn’t exist, at least was not needed for the ATT modem.

Do I need to continue searching for this coaxial cable or am I so clueless (more likely) that it is somewhere obvious in my line of vision but in disguise? The instructions seem to blithely assume everyone has one of these in their home next to the toaster. Just run to the coaxial cable department at Walmart and ask to purchase this mystery thing? Call AT&T and be prepared to sit through elevator music H3LL? 3rd-grade level instructions very much appreciated.

I knew this was going to happen – sigh.

#227828 Reply

Reply To: Eero

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear