Menu

DVC – Disney Vacation Club

Home The Lounge DVC – Disney Vacation Club

• Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    Gotta retire to something, right?   Disney retirement

Click to expand…

I once dreamed of being a Disney employee at the theme parks or hotels in retirement from medicine. Check-in desk at hotel, ticket seller at park, give people directions at park, etc. After a couple decades doing hospital-based IR, I thought it would be uplifting to be around people on their best days, not their worst. I would still be all-in if it did not mean moving to Orlando or Anaheim.

Instead, now I think about selling lift tickets in Aspen during the season (or whatever it takes to be around people having fun in a mountain resort town). Or maybe working in the gift shop at various national parks in the summer.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#245275 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant
    (or whatever it takes to be around people having fun

Click to expand…

Cruise med staff.  Get paid to re-hydrate drunks.

According to my parents when I was a kid I always said I want to be the president of the US and run Disney.

I am glad I grew up and did not listen to my kid self.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#245285 Reply
    Participant
    Cruise med staff.

Click to expand…

Locums work at military bases.  Ft. Lewis (Seattle), Aviano (Italy), Landstuhl (Germany), Schofield Barracks (Hawaii), Camp Humphreys (S. Korea), Walter Reed (Washington DC), Ft. Sam (San Antonio), Ft. Carson (Denver), Rota (Spain).

#245294 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant
    Cruise med staff. 

Click to expand…

Locums work at military bases.  Ft. Lewis (Seattle), Aviano (Italy), Landstuhl (Germany), Schofield Barracks (Hawaii), Camp Humphreys (S. Korea), Walter Reed (Washington DC), Ft. Sam (San Antonio), Ft. Carson (Denver), Rota (Spain).

Click to expand…

I probably do not have the skill set (unless they all need head CTs and PICC lines) or the interest in being around the drunks.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#245297 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant

Would add another vote for using Davids Vacation Club Rentals. We were able to get our 2nd or 3rd choice (bay lake tower) booking about 4 months out this past year. If you get closer to travel date i’d imagine it’s a little tighter.

It was a straight forward, relatively simple process and we were happy to have the full kitchen, laundry, and close access to the parks via the monorail.

#245367 Reply
    Participant

There are a lot of disney regulars out there.  I am in NY and I know people who go twice a year every year to WDW.

I went a few times as a kid and once as an adult when I was in FL for another reason we went to Universal for 1 day.  We did both parks open to close and did pretty much everything we would want to fit in.  It was just me and my wife and we were mid 20s and no kids.  It was completely exhausting.  Now in my 30s with 4 kids I could not fathom how hard a major vacation like that would be.

My wife and I have no desire to go until we are done with diapers and naps.  So basically when the youngest is 4-5.  Our oldest will only be 9-10 so I think the magic will still be there.

What ages did others bring kids?  Any regrets?

Also did anyone bring other family along for help?  I feel that would make matters worse but we have family expressing an interest.

Click to expand…

We do love Disney and it’s getting bigger as we age and Disney grows and takes over the world (Star Wars, Marvel and now Fox).   Only thing left — Star Trek!!!! 🙂

WDW-Orlando — Average about every 3-5 years no matter where we are:   1st kid’ first hair cut ~9months old —in barber shop mainstreet — yes, we did that.  Again 3 years late with two kids 2 and 4;  again 3 years later:  5 and 7 and last  10 and 12.   Planning Xmas trip (GADS—the crowds!!!) this year at 16 and 18.

Disneyland:  x3-6 a year since we’re only 1.5 hours away.

Disney Cruise x1 only so far — cause we’re too cheap and go on lots of other cruises instead for 1/3 the cost….but that Disney Cruise was VERY GOOD.

Disney Conference:  D23 _:  2017 and 2019 —

Disney+  charter member 3 year signup last month:

The House of Mouse loves taking our $$$.   And now mulling this DVC thing over.

We tried Dave’s just last weekend — need 6+months for Grand Californian otherwise doesn’t work out.  May have to boot the DVC plan for now unless a subsidized Aulani plan pops up and we’ll grab that for Hawaii trips 🙂

#245400 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis
    Participant
    Gotta retire to something, right?   Disney retirement 

Click to expand…

I once dreamed of being a Disney employee at the theme parks or hotels in retirement from medicine. Check-in desk at hotel, ticket seller at park, give people directions at park, etc. After a couple decades doing hospital-based IR, I thought it would be uplifting to be around people on their best days, not their worst. I would still be all-in if it did not mean moving to Orlando or Anaheim.

Instead, now I think about selling lift tickets in Aspen during the season (or whatever it takes to be around people having fun in a mountain resort town). Or maybe working in the gift shop at various national parks in the summer.

Click to expand…

Never thought of WORKING there!   Like Walmart greeter but a lot more fun.   Hmmm.   But living in Anaheim?  lost me there.

Mammoth retirement and living in Bishop though?  I could do that.

#245401 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD

Reply To: DVC – Disney Vacation Club

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear