Menu

Does anyone used wood chip mulch for their landscape/gardens?

Home The Lounge Does anyone used wood chip mulch for their landscape/gardens?

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I’m not talking about the recycled crates treated with artificial color and formaldehyde that you pick up from Home Depot?

I was wondering if others are tapping into this resource. Tree trimmers in my area actually have to pay $150 to dump their trimmings into landfill. Willing homeowners can coordinate to receive these trimmings. My home isn’t big enough to do this. So regularly I scoop up a box or two at the library where the city dumps its trimmings for public use. Been doing this for two years and am very happy with the slow transformative effect it has had on my garden.

#207775 Reply
    Liked by ddswifey
    Participant

Be careful about getting this too close to house foundation as might invite termites.

#214001 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Wood chips are NOT bark dust. Wood chips are highly flammable, especially after sitting out in your yard for a couple years. Know of someone whose wood chips caught fire in a small fireworks accident one year. Was lucky to avoid a house fire.

#214006 Reply
    FunkDoc83 FunkDoc83 
    Participant

Wood chips are NOT bark dust. Wood chips are highly flammable, especially after sitting out in your yard for a couple years. Know of someone whose wood chips caught fire in a small fireworks accident one year. Was lucky to avoid a house fire.

Click to expand…

With how alluring fireworks are, it’s a wonder how any of us are still alive!

#214036 Reply
    Liked by Lordosis, SLC OB
    Participant
    I was wondering if others are tapping into this resource. Tree trimmers in my area actually have to pay $150 to dump their trimmings into landfill. Willing homeowners can coordinate to receive these trimmings. My home isn’t big enough to do this. So regularly I scoop up a box or two at the library where the city dumps its trimmings for public use. Been doing this for two years and am very happy with the slow transformative effect it has had on my garden.

Click to expand…

Years ago the arborists /landscapers could dump the trees /limbs in a recycle area of the county and the county used giant shredders to turn them to wood chips and give it out for free. I got a few pickup loads ( hey, it was free) and for the next 2 years I had every possible insect crawling and vague fungus growing in the front yard.

No more. Now I buy the Walmart $2 bags and dump them in the beds. No more crawlies.

#214042 Reply
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

We have used wood chips to reduce weeds and to turn into compost slowly over time.  It has been great for our garden and for improving soil quality over time.  However, we have not used wood chips close to the house foundation.

#214112 Reply
    Participant

Be careful about getting this too close to house foundation as might invite termites.

Click to expand…

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/does-wood-mulch-attract-termites-and-other-insects/

Overstated risk?

Termites and Mulch

Most pest control companies advise against piling mulch against the side of your house, since it can increase the chance of termites entering your home. This is good advice, since termites are subterranean and have to keep themselves moist, and mulch provides good cover for their underground tunneling activities.

However, ANY mulch can provide this cover, whether it’s organic wood or bark, inorganic gravel, or even ground rubber. Termites are not drawn to the wood itself but to the cool, moist protection it provides. They can be found in similar numbers beneath bark, wood, gravel, and rubber mulch, though fresh wood chips may have the added attraction of providing a food source.

As with other insects, the mulch doesn’t cause termites to multiply, it just offers a conductive environment for the ones that are already in the area. You don’t need to avoid mulch in your yard, just apply it carefully and to keep an eye out for invading insects in your home.

#214151 Reply

Reply To: Does anyone used wood chip mulch for their landscape/gardens?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear