Menu

Do you have a “Go Bag”?

Home The Lounge Do you have a “Go Bag”?

•  topher 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I’m an ED doc and it occurred to me several years ago that if there is a roadside emergency or family emergency I would be unprepared to provide much help.  It’s amazing how much we depend on the equipment that is readily available in the ED.  I put together a small bag to keep in each of our cars with temporizing medical equipment to use until EMS got there.  More like a souped-up first aid kit.  I couldn’t find anything commercially available with the things I wanted, so I purchased everything separately.  I’ve never needed to use it for a true emergency, but I have used it for simple complaints in family members (check pulse ox, BP, etc.).

oral respiration guard
    pulse oximeter
    stethoscope
    bp cuff
    blanket
    oral airway
    moldable splint
    trauma shears
    tourniquet x2
    c-collar x 2
    chemical ice pack
    nitrile gloves
    gauze pads
    kerlix wrap
    coban
    tape
    mask shield
    gown
    permanent marker
    bandaids
    n95 mask

asa
    penlight
    nitroglycerine
    glucose tabs
    epi pen
    tissue glue

#178884 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

I’m an ED doc and it occurred to me several years ago that if there is a roadside emergency or family emergency I would be unprepared to provide much help.  It’s amazing how much we depend on the equipment that is readily available in the ED.

Click to expand…

True that.

This is kind of like how I think when people want to meld global health with emergency medicine. I don’t really see it. My job is essentially to be a hyper-utilizer of expensive resources.

The one real global health experience I had was a frustrating parade of seeing people and telling the student I was working with “well here is what this person needs…. and we don’t have it… so….”

#178957 Reply
    Jaqen Haghar, MD Jaqen Haghar, MD 
    Participant

I keep a personally prepared first aid kit in each car.  Things I would need in a minor emergency  or inconvenience for us, and some supplies to stop traumatic bleeding.  It’s like an expanded version of what I would bring on a backcountry backpacking trip.   (Gloves, Dental floss, duct tape, superglue, motrin, benadryl, tweezers/leatherman mini, various bandaids, dressings and wraps, etc…)

I also have a “Get-Home Bag” in my car, and my wife has her own in her car.  This is a small inconspicuous backpack stocked with “The 10 Essentials”, and whatever else, to walk 20 miles to get home and spend the night outside under difficult zombie/war conditions.  (Footwear, drab outdoor clothes, hat, light, fire, knife, water kit, some calories, emergency bivy, rain shell, etc…)

I also keep a small tool kit in the car, replace to a full size spare tire whenever possible, have a small electric air pump, jumper cables, and some hand towels and bath towels in each car.

I kind of enjoy this putting this stuff together and it comes in handy.  It all takes up a small spot in the trunk, and some tucked away behind a seat.  Most of the stuff I’ve actually used at one time or another.

I leave the rectal thermometer, BP cuff, sat monitor, and thoracotomy tray, at work though.

#178964 Reply
    nachos31 nachos31 

I have a closet filled with bandages, suture, swabs, urine test kits, betadine, alcohol preps, syringes, needles.  This is all left over from my office closure.  I am ready for the zombies.

Click to expand…

Are you planning on…treating the zombies their bite wounds and testing them for diabetes?

For those interested in more the “Bug Out Bag,” EJ from Dads, Dollars, And Debts has a post on it after his experience losing his home to a wildfire.

For those really interested, there’s a show on Netflix called Doomsday Preppers.

#178977 Reply
     wideopenspaces 
    Participant

What would go in a psychiatrists go bag? Box of tissues, a safety plan worksheet and hydroxyzine?!? I’m pretty useless in any medical emergency.

#178978 Reply
     SLC OB 
    Participant

For Christmas this year, I put together a first aid kit on steroids… we do a lot of back country travel (either multi-day rafting trips or trips into backcountry via 4×4 or on foot) and I wanted us to have a better kit.

Has most of what @topher had but also things like: lido, suture, derma bond, tampons (for bad bloody noses), lots of basic meds, albuterol MDI, Betadine, saline, tourniquet, Leatherman Raptor Shears 🙂 (very cool tool!)

However, being in California, near both the Santa Rosa and the Paradise Fires, my brother gave me a “Go-Bag” kit to assemble. It will have in it our birth certificates, passports, will, cash, marriage certificate, etc. and will be the one thing we grab if we have to leave fast (as for a fire). This looks like a gift that will require a TON of my time but would be really worth it, if we needed it. I thought of storing in our safe, which is fire resistant, in case we are not home, just not sure we will have time to open the safe in such a situation.

#178979 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Olórin
    Olórin Olórin 
    Participant

Fun thread! EM doc here. I’ve got a med kit and some basic survival supplies in each car.:

Airway/Breathing:
    -Nasopharyngeal Airway
    -Oral airway (large and small)
    -CPR mask
    -PTX Needle decompression needle

Hemostasis:
    -Trauma dressing (embedded quickclot)
    -Hemostatic Granules
    -Coban roll
    -Abd pad
    -4x4s
    -Stretch gauze roll
    -Xeroform
    -SWAT-T tourniquet

Suturing:
    -Needle Driver, Suture Scissors,
    Tweezers/Pickups
    -5ml syringe
    -25g needle, 27g needle
    -Multiple suture types (for deep and superficial)
    -Alcohol swabs
    -Dermabond
    -Bandaids (various)

Splinting:
    -SAM splint
    -ACE wrap (and SWAT-T Tourniquet)

Misc:
    -Saline Bottle
    -Trauma Shears
    -Tape
    -Gloves
    -Q-tips
    -Tongue blade
    -Skin marker
    -Blood draw tourniquet

Drugs:
    -Epi
    -dexamethasone
    -Lidocaine
    -Diphenhydramine
    -Ranitidine
    -Fexofenadine
    -Tylenol
    -Ibuprofen
    -Pseudoephedrine
    -Zofran

Separate Survival Kit
    -Light stick
    -Life Straw
    -Soylent
    -Lighter
    -Rope (50 feet, 1100 lbs test)
    -Headlamp
    -Poncho
    -Emergency blankets
    -Hand Warmers
    -Multi-tool (Large)
    -backup CAT Tourniquet

Separate Tool Kit
    -Air compressor (w/ adaptor ends/needle/etc)
    -Pressure gauge
    -Jumper Cables
    -Basic tools – multi-tool is in Survival kit,
    screwdrivers, pliers,
    -Zip ties
    -Duct tape
    -Work gloves
    -Rags
    -Reflector Lights

Steady plodding brings prosperity; hasty speculation brings poverty – Proverbs 21:5

#178985 Reply
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Hopefully y’all carrying some of these drugs around keep them as secured as locking up a gun. Granted, more steps to inject. But kids can be stupid multiple times in a row.

#178999 Reply
     StarTrekDoc 
    Participant

Have a ‘go bag+list’ for home,

Have a plan for meet up based on x contingencies — since we are all spread out during the day

Have a ‘survival kit’ in the cars

–We don’t have much perishables in the car beyond the basic first aid kit and some expanded things like the n95 filters and gloves and fire blankets.

#179034 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

There’s some legit bug out bags here. It looks like my new plan is just to rob and pillage for what I need.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#179037 Reply
     adventure 
    Participant

There’s some legit bug out bags here. It looks like my new plan is just to rob and pillage for what I need.

Click to expand…

Fun thread! EM doc here. I’ve got a med kit and some basic survival supplies in each car.:

Click to expand…

Olórin – what kind of car do you drive? Haha.

What would go in a psychiatrists go bag? Box of tissues, a safety plan worksheet and hydroxyzine?!? I’m pretty useless in any medical emergency.

Click to expand…

I was thinking one of the things that we all have is just the mental ability to show up and tak ea deep breath, and remain calm. “it’ll be ok – keep breathing”. The training and ability not to lose our minds is a really valuable skill.

MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

More for the sake of argument than to be argumentative but I can’t imagine a situation in which I would close a wound with sutures “in the field” so to speak.

If you are placing deep sutures anywhere but a hospital bay you are almost certainly doing something wrong.

#179071 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

More for the sake of argument than to be argumentative but I can’t imagine a situation in which I would close a wound with sutures “in the field” so to speak.

If you are placing deep sutures anywhere but a hospital bay you are almost certainly doing something wrong.

Click to expand…

Not really. You might have just finished doing something very wrong, or more likely, many steps and decisions very wrong, and are trying to fix it.

Suture and drivers would likely come in very handy for lots of tasks though. Can do anything with them.

#179076 Reply
     SLC OB 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Not really. You might have just finished doing something very wrong, or more likely, many steps and decisions very wrong, and are trying to fix it.

Suture and drivers would likely come in very handy for lots of tasks though. Can do anything with them.

Click to expand…

When you are DAYS away from a hospital, it is very reasonable to place deep sutures…

My husband uses his 4×4 and will travel with large groups and be far away (even in a car!) from nearest point of care…

If I go on these trips, I always run (instead of ride) and usually travel at least twice the distance they do (as the “rock crawling” is so extreme).

#179079 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

When you are DAYS away from a hospital, it is very reasonable to place deep sutures…

My husband uses his 4×4 and will travel with large groups and be far away (even in a car!) from nearest point of care…

If I go on these trips, I always run (instead of ride) and usually travel at least twice the distance they do (as the “rock crawling” is so extreme).

Click to expand…

Thats exactly what I meant, you’ve already made some decisions with high bad outcome probabilities, and likely ignored some obvious signs to curtail things (weather, time, etc…), and then you’re really left with no choice.

Even if you havent hurt yourself, if you’re lost suture equipment is small/light and can be used to fashion all kinds of useful stuff.

#179092 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB

Reply To: Do you have a “Go Bag”?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear