Menu

Do you have a “Go Bag”?

Home The Lounge Do you have a “Go Bag”?

• ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

Rescue 911 taught us we only needed a Bic pen, right?

#178844 Reply
    Participant

All you need is duct tape

#178845 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I have a closet filled with bandages, suture, swabs, urine test kits, betadine, alcohol preps, syringes, needles.  This is all left over from my office closure.  I am ready for the zombies.

#178848 Reply
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

I once was driving home from Las Vegas with a friend, right after internship.  We witnessed a tortilla truck run off the side of the road, go down an embankment, and flip over.   We stopped and ran down there along with a bunch of other people.  We were probably the 6th and 7th people on the scene.  The driver, who only spoke Spanish, was hanging in his seat upside down and the people who had gotten there first were frantically trying to pull him out.  He was stunned and bleeding from cuts on his face and extremities but talking.  The way things were going he would have landed on his head/neck when they pulled him out.  We didn’t tell anyone we were doctors but were able to calm the others who were there first and got him out more slowly/safely, stabilizing his neck.  I did actually have some gloves by chance and remember using tortillas to apply pressure to a wound while he was lying there until the ambulance arrived.  He was talking the whole time so I got to practice my Spanish the whole time.  I’m glad we stopped because someone is likely to stop before the emergency personnel arrive and if they aren’t careful they could actually make the situation worse.  So always pack common sense.

Participant

Really depends more on where you live and practice.
    Good Samaritan Laws apply.
    Doctors used to carry a big black bag for house calls.
    I can see a rural physician wanting a bag. In that case, he is practicing medicine once he starts using the tools of his trade. Sticking with what you consider a nice first aid kit would make a lot of sense unless you want to practice medicine on the side of the road.
    Attorney’s know about ambulance chasing. A fully loaded bag would be another target.

#178861 Reply
    Participant

I’m still confused. Is this a go bag to help others with medical emergencies while you are out and about? Like Dr Hank Lawson on Royal Pains? That dude always magically has whatever he needs all the time. And runs into medical emergencies way more than can possibly be normal. Anyway, or are you looking to get prepped for a natural disaster?

#178869 Reply

@wideopenspaces, I’m sorry. I meant a medical bag containing some array of first aid equipment tailored to the skill of the owner meant for having on hand, not unlike what a wilderness medicine person would pack. Not a bag to “get off the grid” though I would also really like to hear if anyone has one of those as well just for fun.

#178872 Reply
    Participant

Oh, I was thinking more like a “my house is burning down and this is all I can save”.  So like a folder with passport, birth certificates, etc in it.

#178877 Reply
    MPMD MPMD 
    Participant

What I keep in my car: gloves.

My old man is a doc who did like 20 years of ER in various forms although FP trained. I remember when I was about 15 and I asked him what he would do if he came upon a car wreck by the side of the road. His answer has always struck he as the height of wisdom: “as little as possible until the medics got there.”

#178878 Reply
    Participant

I have a bunch of suture, saline, sterile gloves, lidocaine, syringes, needles, and dressing supplies. But it’s in the closet. Don’t have a bag.

A trauma surgeon at my hospital listens to emergency medical services radio and will seek out accidents on the side of the road to help.

Click to expand…

sounds like asking for liability issues and non-ideal work life balance

Click to expand…

For sure.

A trauma surgeon at my hospital listens to emergency medical services radio and will seek out accidents on the side of the road to help. 

Click to expand…

What is a trauma surgeon going to do on the side of the road? I can guarantee the paramedics are much better at pre-hospital medicine than he is.

Click to expand…

Oh I don’t disagree.

#178887 Reply
    Participant

Yes. A doc without tools is like a fish without a bicycle. Or however that saying goes. ?

#178903 Reply
    Liked by Olórin
    Participant

I have heard of a company called “provider prepared” which is a tray full of supplies for medical personnel at home.  I haven’t bought one, but I have thought about.

#178915 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus
    and remember using tortillas to apply pressure to a wound

Click to expand…

Best thing I’ve read all day.

#178931 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

After reading about how “stuff” can just happen, I see little downside in having some things just in case in the car. Water, blanket, fire starter, basic first aid. You never know. I will be thinking about this and putting together a quick list of essentials for a just in case type tying. Maybe some duct tape or other useful things wouldnt hurt either.

I also have basic kits at home with suture, needles, and that kind of thing. And if Im being honest, this is mostly my botox kit.

#178938 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    Water, blanket, fire starter, basic first aid. You never know. I will be thinking about this and putting together a quick list of essentials for a just in case type tying. Maybe some duct tape or other useful things wouldnt hurt either.

Click to expand…

Don’t forget alcohol…not the rubbing kind.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#178946 Reply

Reply To: Do you have a “Go Bag”?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear