Menu

Do you have a “Go Bag”?

Home The Lounge Do you have a “Go Bag”?

•  Monesthesiologist 

My father, who was a career firefighter, is set on me having my own bag of emergency supplies in case some accident were to happen at home or if I were to happen upon an accident. While I am unsure of the ethical and legal ramifications, I’m not totally opposed to the idea. But it is not a financial priority right now. I haven’t had much success finding the right supplies to order online, especially meds. I did find one site that would sell expensive packs that come pre-made for you.

Has anyone looked into this before? Did you build your own or buy pre-made?

#178809 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

What exactly is he recommending to have? Outside of the hospital, really the only thing I would strongly recommend is some nitrile gloves. I guess a basic first aid kit is fine but if it’s a true emergency, a cell phone that can call 911 is your best bet.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#178817 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant
    While I am unsure of the ethical and legal ramifications

Click to expand…

i dont understand this…..

a go bag is just that. apocalypse now, what do you need….

easy one to start: 1st aid, cash, passport, clothes, 9mm….

#178819 Reply
    Liked by Firefly
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

I’ve been considering something like this, but I just finished Deep Survival and it’s not a bad idea, just in case. More of an ice bag though. Not sure what meds youd need. Was thinking something in the car with fire starting supplies, knife, a blanket, etc…maybe basic first aid.

Agree a go bag is more a get out of the country type thing, but could be more local, but with all identity related necessities to start a new life.

#178821 Reply
     Monesthesiologist 

Medical Go Bag- like an expanded First Aid Kit

#178822 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I’m not sure what his dad means by a “go bag”. To me, that means a bag with things to survive in the case of a zombie apocalypse. It seems like his dad is describing more of a kit to help with medical emergencies.

I keep some suture stuff around the house and take on trips but I don’t keep one in my vehicle to stop and try to sew people up on the side of the road.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”

#178823 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Medical Go Bag- like an expanded First Aid Kit

Click to expand…

What is he suggesting you get? Besides some gloves, a tourniquet, maybe a long needle (people’s chests are much fatter than they used to be), and the ability to do good compressions, your utility outside of a hospital is exceedingly low and your best is to get to help as quickly as possible.

#178824 Reply
     jacoavlu 

So you’re supposed to carry such provisions with you in case you happen upon an accident? On your person? Or one for each car?

We don’t have a go bag. No sense in trying, my wife would pack it mostly full of varieties of footwear.

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Suture and lidocaine with epi for yourself wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Not stopping and doing that, were pretty much useless outside of a hospital.

#178827 Reply
    Liked by mpdoc
     DynamicHipScrew 
    Participant

I have a bunch of suture, saline, sterile gloves, lidocaine, syringes, needles, and dressing supplies. But it’s in the closet. Don’t have a bag.

A trauma surgeon at my hospital listens to emergency medical services radio and will seek out accidents on the side of the road to help.

#178832 Reply
     Panscan 
    Participant

I have a bunch of suture, saline, sterile gloves, lidocaine, syringes, needles, and dressing supplies. But it’s in the closet. Don’t have a bag.

A trauma surgeon at my hospital listens to emergency medical services radio and will seek out accidents on the side of the road to help.

Click to expand…

sounds like asking for liability issues and non-ideal work life balance

#178833 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

What is a trauma surgeon going to do on the side of the road? I can guarantee the paramedics are much better at pre-hospital medicine than he is.

#178834 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Firefly
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Yeah, sounds a bit odd…to put it gently.

#178835 Reply
    Liked by Tim, ENT Doc
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

I have a go bag for some stuff with lido/epi and different sutures for minor stitching, plenty of sterile gauze and saline irrigation, gloves, LMAs with ambu bag, a few ETTs with DL blades (I tube people for a living otherwise I would not recommend this), a cryc kit, ace wraps, ICE bags, DIY epi pens are everywhere (cars, house, work bags). I have been debating getting a portable defibrillator as my mom has significant CAD.

#178840 Reply
    Liked by Olórin
     Monesthesiologist 

I agree it is doesn’t sound like a great idea to drive around helping random strangers. My question was more of do you keep anything on hand and if you do what? Thanks for your input.

#178841 Reply

Reply To: Do you have a “Go Bag”?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear