Menu

Do you guys cheap out on tires?

Home General/Welcome Do you guys cheap out on tires?

Participant

I wonder why I’ve never heard of someone getting into an accident due to car tires.

Click to expand…

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/paul-walker-s-death-highlights-dangers-of-aging-tires/index.htm

Old tires played a role in Paul Walker’s death. Per the article, handling characteristics can change. His were 9 years old, Porsche recommended replacing tires at 4 years for this model regardless of mileage.

#228470 Reply
    Liked by CordMcNally
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Actually I haven’t. Blowouts can happen with any tire, I’m assuming they are caused by road hazards. Accidents are caused by excessive speed, drunk, sleepy, distracted drivers not tires.

Click to expand…

They’re caused by much more than just road hazards. I have been in two vehicles that were nearly in wrecks because of a tire blowout. You ever try to steer a vehicle with 3 tires that is originally intended to have 4 tires at 75mph? I didn’t own either vehicle so I don’t know what kind of tires were on them. As I’ve stated, I don’t believe in the most expensive tire but I don’t buy the cheapest tire. But, if you think accidents aren’t caused by tires (blowouts, reduced stopping ability, etc.) then you really have your head in the sand.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#228472 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

Actually I haven’t. Blowouts can happen with any tire, I’m assuming they are caused by road hazards. Accidents are caused by excessive speed, drunk, sleepy, distracted drivers not tires.

Click to expand…

They’re caused by much more than just road hazards. I have been in two vehicles that were nearly in wrecks because of a tire blowout. You ever try to steer a vehicle with 3 tires that is originally intended to have 4 tires at 75mph? I didn’t own either vehicle so I don’t know what kind of tires were on them. As I’ve stated, I don’t believe in the most expensive tire but I don’t buy the cheapest tire. But, if you think accidents aren’t caused by tires (blowouts, reduced stopping ability, etc.) then you really have your head in the sand.

Click to expand…

Of course blowouts can lead to accidents, although I doubt they are a leading cause of them. Blowouts happen when a vehicle hits a pothole or road hazard at speed, or due to excessive speed or load weight of the vehicle. Whether overpriced tires protects you from hitting a road hazard remains to be seen…

#228475 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Both blowouts I’ve been involved with had nothing to do with any of the external factors you mentioned. Unfortunately, there’s no qualification you can make to make your previous comment about tires not causing wrecks to be true.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#228479 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I guess people will have to make their own decision, for me spending big bucks on fancy name brand tires kind of falls into the category of pricey organic food, 300 dollar sunglasses, 200 dollar headphones and 8000 dollar watches (all unnecessary and not any better than the alternative)

#228489 Reply
    Participant

I guess people will have to make their own decision, for me spending big bucks on fancy name brand tires kind of falls into the category of pricey organic food, 300 dollar sunglasses, 200 dollar headphones and 8000 dollar watches (all unnecessary and not any better than the alternative)

Click to expand…

I don’t think it’s that big of a difference. we’re talking like 10-20 bucks a tire here, so unless you’re buying like used tires for 25 bucks each I don’t think the cost is much difference. vs there are infinite 5 dollar headphones available.

why is it an all or nothing proposition? why cant both poor tires and road conditions contribute to problems? but I agree with you that unless you’re driving a sports car hard you probably aren’t noticing a difference for summer tires, but winter tires make a huge difference and are much more important than AWD ( very misunderstood generally)

#228554 Reply
    Participant

The funny thing here is that I don’t think anyone in this entire thread is really and truly “cheaping out” on tires.

When I was growing up, I had a family friend who would go to a junk yard and find a used tire when he needed one.  He knew enough to be able to install a tire himself, so I guess he might have known how to tell the difference between a decent tire and a completely used up one.

Now that’s cheaping out.

#228560 Reply
    Participant

I choose the best pick per consumer reports for all season tires in the year I am buying tires. I don’t skimp on tires and good hikes boots…traction makes all the difference. I have been saved many times with good tires. I have studded snow tires for my Toyota Corolla and Hyundai Elantra (Nokkian studded snow tires for both). Tires make a huge difference on cars, and I feel more comfortable on good tires in a car than I would in an SUV/truck with any tire. No  brainer.  This is based on driving in northern Minnesota, Massachusetts and Colorado. Go for good tires, its relatively cheap insurance for handling.

#228573 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I am planning to go cheap, and for good measure, buy and install them while I drive through a cheap state in a couple of weeks.  The last part saves me $8 in sales tax and disposal fees.

#228576 Reply
    Participant

Both blowouts I’ve been involved with had nothing to do with any of the external factors you mentioned. Unfortunately, there’s no qualification you can make to make your previous comment about tires not causing wrecks to be true.

Click to expand…

Remind me not to ride with you at WCICON 😉

#228608 Reply
    Participant

I wonder why I’ve never heard of someone getting into an accident due to car tires.

Click to expand…

Poor Road conditions — tires matter.  whether in first rains after dry spell (road oil+light rain) or snowstorm or road ice — all horrible if you got cheapo/worn/old tires on the best vehicle.    You can be going 20 MPH and still get into plenty of trouble.

#228609 Reply
    Participant
    When I was growing up, I had a family friend who would go to a junk yard and find a used tire when he needed one.

Click to expand…

ha!  I may or may not have used leftover/mismatched/gently used tires for my beater car … even as a young attending.

good to have a little reminder of where one comes from to put life in perspective.  thank you.

#228614 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

The funny thing here is that I don’t think anyone in this entire thread is really and truly “cheaping out” on tires.

When I was growing up, I had a family friend who would go to a junk yard and find a used tire when he needed one.  He knew enough to be able to install a tire himself, so I guess he might have known how to tell the difference between a decent tire and a completely used up one.

Now that’s cheaping out.

Click to expand…

This.

If you’re buying anything off-the-shelf at your local tire store, at costco, or from tirerack, it’s going to be decent, solid tire that gets you from A to B and handles well enough in most conditions.  None of these places carry truly “off-brand” tires.

If you are ordering your tires from china direct, you could conceivably be buying a new tire that is in actuality a non-merchantable product.  But again, the cheapest option at your local sams club is going to be a good-enough tire from a legitimate company that knows how to make good tires.

IMO at least your friend would replace his tires.

The ultimate cheap-out is to ride on bald tires.  Or to the belts.  😆

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#228679 Reply
    Liked by StarTrekDoc
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Now that I have dependents I drive much more sensibly and quality tires are not as important.  I do not think the brand matters as much as if they are old and worn.  I usually get whatever seems to be the best deal for the rated mileage.  I do hate those rebates though.  I wish they could just knock it off the price.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#228697 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Participant

Five pages and no one has truly mentioned context.

If you have a Porsche or M3 or AMG you really don’t have an option of “cheap” tires. The cheapest of those tires will cost way more than an high end Accord tire.

Then comes your style of driving, which again partly depends on the vehicle. If you have a permanence vehicle and like to drive hard and take those mountain road curves at high speed you need those expensive performance tires. Or choose flying off the road like that recent Leaf commercial, and becoming a BASE jumper. For a soccer mom commute like mine, those tires are overkill.

So I don’t do any research. I settle on Michelin. My Accord and Camry will get those $100-150 tires. I cheap out when I get them at Costco when they are on sale ( they have the sale every 3 months, on average). I drive on standard roads and interstates at moderate speeds and sometimes take long road trips. I bring it to Costco every 6K miles for tire rotations and check up. If the tire is rated for 60K miles and it is 50K or so and the mechanic in Costco thinks it might be time to change out the tires I might do it right away or when the next sale occurs. I don’t do reviews or go to Tire Rack just to save few dollars or buy expensive tires.

One of the advantages of having Costco 2 miles away.

#228705 Reply

Reply To: Do you guys cheap out on tires?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear