Menu

Do you guys cheap out on tires?

Home General/Welcome Do you guys cheap out on tires?

• uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant

Agree with others. Not cheap on tires.  Costco for Michelins usually. I do look at Consumer Reports as well and usually wind up getting when Costco has their sale. We also have snows for van and the car the kids drive.  I haven’t had snows on mine since retiring as I don’t really ‘have’ to be anywhere at a particular time anymore and can chose not to go out on snowy/icy roads which are pretty infrequent in these parts.

#227808 Reply
    Liked by CM
    Participant

I like driving. A great set of tires makes my ok car feel much better and keeps me from buying another car. So, I buy expensive summer tires (it doesn’t snow where I live).

Click to expand…

My current vehicle came with a handling package that included larger diameter wheels and low profile summer rubber. When replacing them recently, I cheaped out and went for an all-season tire. Big difference in handling especially on the curves. I should have gone with summer tires, although in the winter when the temps are below freezing they feel like this:

Image result for fred flintstone car

#227809 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

most of the brand names (goodrich, bridgestone, etc) have decent tires. I buy mine from whatever is on sale at Costco.  I don’t think that you need “expensive” tires,  I would recommend purchasing winter tires if you live in place where it snows though.  Besides not getting stuck in the snow, the ability of winter tires to break over all season tires in the snow makes them worth their cost if they save you from one accident.    They are a pain to change every season, but again, Costco does it for cheaply, I think that I paid $60 last time to have all four tires exchanged.

#227818 Reply
    Participant

I go highest end on all 4 vehicles, including $500/tire on the exotic, replaced about every 12K miles and $250/tire on my daily driver.

Safety and health are not really the best places to save.

#227831 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    I go highest end on all 4 vehicles, including $500/tire on the exotic, replaced about every 12K miles and $250/tire on my daily driver.

Click to expand…

You replace your tires every 12k miles on your daily driver?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#227832 Reply
    Participant

No, sorry. Every 12K miles on the Ferrari – and I drive it conservatively. My daily driver, a BMW M6 (also a performance vehicle)  goes about 25K miles between changes. Wife’s vehicles BMW, Benz (luxury, not performance) go longer.

#227835 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, Peds
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Safety and health are not really the best places to save.

Click to expand…

That’s great, but do you have any evidence that the $250 dollar tire is safer than the $200 tire, for example.   And that changing every 20K miles is safer  instead of every 12 K?  And why isn’t changing every 6K miles safer than every 12 K?

I agree with your last sentence, but there are a whole host things that people do because they think it will make them safer, but there is no evidence that it is actually the case.   This sounds like it might be one of those.   But it might not be.  I’m certainly no tire expert.  So if you have some data, I’d be interested in learning more about it.

#227836 Reply
    Participant

costco on sale

“premium” summer, “premium” winters

maybe I’m buying into the marketing…but of all the money we spend on insurance, is this a good place to cut corners?

#227837 Reply
    Participant

Most summer performance tires are ‘rated’ 30k+ miles, but in reality if you’re using them getting 25k+ is pushing it.   The thread is what counts so sure you can get a 50k+ All season; but bet the braking distance on that and the ride is somewhat mediocre to poor.  Braking distance/grip is key and that means primary soft rubber (or All season aggressive tread).  Our Pilot 4S were actually cheaper than OEM, but have lower efficiency cause of higher resistance.  Okay by me to sacrifice a little efficiency for improved handling characteristics.

#227838 Reply
    Participant

No, I have not evidence but I put my trust in my mechanic regarding safety just as your patients put their trust in you. I have had extensive discussions regarding this with my mechanic friends, not just simply doing it on blind faith. I generally go with tried and true brands – Pirelli P-Zero’s on the Ferrari and Michelin Pilot Sport Max Performance on the M6. My mechanic personally owns 2 Ferrari’s and a BMW – he uses the same brands and tire rating.

12K seems to be based on my average wear when my vehicle is serviced. If it wore down after 6K miles, I would absolutely replace it after 6K miles.

I was just giving averages. A good few days on the track and new tires may even need to be replaced immediately thereafter, but I wasn’t getting into those details. Expensive as they are, those track days are serious fun!

https://web.consumerreports.org/test/Tires/v2/index.htm?EXTKEY=SM72C00&msclkid=2b94c69f8bef10968cb09b813fed5315&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BR_US_Cars_Exact_RLSA&utm_term=consumer%20reports%20tires&utm_content=BR_US_Cars_Tires&gclid=CLCxvvPbnOMCFc0XgQod1SMMpg&gclsrc=ds

#227840 Reply
    Participant

No, I have not evidence but I put my trust in my mechanic regarding safety just as your patients put their trust in you. I have had extensive discussions regarding this with my mechanic friends, not just simply doing it on blind faith. I generally go with tried and true brands – Pirelli P-Zero’s on the Ferrari and Michelin Pilot Sport Max Performance on the M6. My mechanic personally owns 2 Ferrari’s and a BMW – he uses the same brands and tire rating.

12K seems to be based on my average wear when my vehicle is serviced. If it wore down after 6K miles, I would absolutely replace it after 6K miles.

I was just giving averages. A good few days on the track and new tires may even need to be replaced immediately thereafter, but I wasn’t getting into those details. Expensive as they are, those track days are serious fun!

https://web.consumerreports.org/test/Tires/v2/index.htm?EXTKEY=SM72C00&msclkid=2b94c69f8bef10968cb09b813fed5315&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BR_US_Cars_Exact_RLSA&utm_term=consumer%20reports%20tires&utm_content=BR_US_Cars_Tires&gclid=CLCxvvPbnOMCFc0XgQod1SMMpg&gclsrc=ds

Click to expand…

First of all trusting a mechanic with your safety is not at all the same as trusting a doctor with your health.  The ethical obligations for the second are far higher.  But I get the analogy.

In any case, expert opinion is definitely a kind of evidence, so that’s certainly something.  I’ll tell you that I’ve talked to a good number of tire people myself, and what I’ve been told is that once you get past a certain point you’re a safe as you’re going to be.  Everything after that relates to performance, etc.

Who knows? After all, just like doctors, I’m sure mechanics make at least some recommendations that are not evidence-based.

#227847 Reply
    Participant

I agree with others that tire rack is helpful. You can see comments for your car & prioritize different features in general to get recommendations. We prioritize safety, wet handling, braking – for example. Which isn’t always big name or highest price.

#227859 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I spend money on tires… a set for the summer and a studded set for the winter. However, I can make them last about 4 years (between the two sets). I live in snow… lots and lots of … and tires are important. Summer tires less so but still super important. Don’t be cheap here… anything else but not here.

#227866 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

First of all trusting a mechanic with your safety is not at all the same as trusting a doctor with your health.  The ethical obligations for the second are far higher.  But I get the analogy.

In any case, expert opinion is definitely a kind of evidence, so that’s certainly something.  I’ll tell you that I’ve talked to a good number of tire people myself, and what I’ve been told is that once you get past a certain point you’re a safe as you’re going to be.  Everything after that relates to performance, etc.

Who knows? After all, just like doctors, I’m sure mechanics make at least some recommendations that are not evidence-based.

Click to expand…

Okay, what is a “certain point”, that’s what this string is about. You’re correct, it goes beyond safety to include performance, interior noise, run flat, and so on. Sounds like your answer is mid grade tire.

Not sure I agree regarding the ethical obligations. Driving on a worn tire or loose lug nuts can be quite serious. I chose a highly qualified mechanic for the past decade because I hold him to the same standard.

My answer is no, I don’t cheap out on tires. Not everyone is going to give the same answer and others may allow for more tread wear than I do. I tend to be perhaps too risk averse in many aspects, and this often puts me in the minority, not majority.

#227870 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Michelin when on sale at Costco imo is the best value for a great tire for most cars. Blizzaks for snow tires. Tires for the 4 wheeler? That’s a whole other thread about splurging

#227873 Reply

Reply To: Do you guys cheap out on tires?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear