Menu

Do you guys cheap out on tires?

Home General/Welcome Do you guys cheap out on tires?

• q-school q-school 
    Participant

too much information.  Don’t buy tires enough to know.

don’t want to die by slipping in the water or snow.

apparently the tires from dealer suck.  But now tires have 30k -90k mileage warranty.  Prices all over the place.

assume we are not race car drivers trying to hold the line during high speed cornering and also not drifting behind semi trucks.

cheapest you can find?  Middle?   Most expensive?

#227728 Reply
    Participant

too much information.  Don’t buy tires enough to know.

don’t want to die by slipping in the water or snow.

apparently the tires from dealer suck.  But now tires have 30k -90k mileage warranty.  Prices all over the place.

assume we are not race car drivers trying to hold the line during high speed cornering and also not drifting behind semi trucks.

cheapest you can find?  Middle?   Most expensive?

Click to expand…

not cheapest no but definitely not most expensive. medium high….

longer life also good for environment as less turnover.

they are the only things between you and the road….

#227732 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I’m planning to buy tires later this month.  I will probably go cheap with low mileage warranty because I put few miles on my car annually.  Live in dry climate, avoid driving in snow.

#227733 Reply
    Participant

I generally get them on sale at costco.  But you can easily find cheaper than that.  I don’t think costco even sells most of the lower cost brands that you can get at large tire shops.

Bascially costco sale gives you a very good deal on a high-quality tire.  I’m sure you could go a little lower on quality and cost and still be perfectly fine.

When I was too cheap for costco tires, I often went with budget brands and had no problems.

Also costco saves me time, because I plan it out for when I’ve got to go there anyway.   No extra trips or waiting.

#227734 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, beagler, SLC OB
    Participant

Costco when they have Michelin – 4 tires for $70 off.

The little things like mounting and free rotations for the life of those tires start to add up and the total costs easily exceeds $600-700.

#227736 Reply
    Liked by Nysoz, Zaphod
    Participant

We go middle of the road. All 4 seasons here (hot, nice, ice, and rain). I just ask for a decent all season tire that they recommend. I’m not going to waste too much time researching and shopping around to save a couple hundred bucks. I consider decent tires one of the most important safety features on the car.

#227742 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

We get a middle of the road recognizable name brand all season tire with good tread wear. Usually we end up buying online and having a local place mount and balance them.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#227747 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant

I buy the tires that appear to be best based on internet research. Once I decide on the best tires, then I look for the best deal on those particular tires.

I also go to the trouble of changing out for snow tires each year, also the best I can find, even though they are rarely if ever really needed.

Good tires are very important safety features; not where I’d look to compromise quality for price.

So there you go, q-school, I’m a reckless spendthrift.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#227754 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I buy the tires that appear to be best based on internet research. Once I decide on the best tires, then I look for the best deal on those particular tires.

Click to expand…

What is your reliable source for “internet research?”

#227758 Reply
    Participant

I like driving. A great set of tires makes my ok car feel much better and keeps me from buying another car. So, I buy expensive summer tires (it doesn’t snow where I live).

#227759 Reply
    Liked by PhotonsRGR8
    CM CM 
    Participant

Click to expand…

What is your reliable source for “internet research?”

Click to expand…

I go searching for knowledge and try to read critically, but I could be misled. I do always check Consumer Reports, among others.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#227760 Reply
    Participant

Nope; get good performing tires;  next to brakes, most important part of the car.    Replaced our Tesla with Pilot 4S tires.  10% loss efficiency, but great performance.

#227761 Reply
    Participant

I like driving. A great set of tires makes my ok car feel much better and keeps me from buying another car. So, I buy expensive summer tires (it doesn’t snow where I live).

Click to expand…

A good set of summer tires certainly makes for a nice drive.  If you’ve got seasons you’ve either got to switch them off and on every year, which I’m way too lazy to do.  Or get something that’s less fun but more versatile.  I take the latter approach.

#227768 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

I also go to the trouble of changing out for snow tires each year, also the best I can find, even though they are rarely if ever really needed.

Good tires are very important safety features; not where I’d look to compromise quality for price.

So there you go, q-school, I’m a reckless spendthrift.

Click to expand…

I knew the money was going somewhere!

Lol

#227783 Reply
    Liked by Tim, CM
    Rogue Dad, M.D. Rogue Dad, M.D. 
    Participant

I’m sometimes cheap but not with tires. At least get mid range quality. Use tirerack .com for research and other sites. Can often get best deal via them but sometimes best deal at Costco (or Sams).

http://www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

#227795 Reply

Reply To: Do you guys cheap out on tires?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear