Menu

Do most Residents and Fellows Need a Nose Job – Malpractice Insurance?

Home Practice Management Do most Residents and Fellows Need a Nose Job – Malpractice Insurance?

Participant

Residency and Fellowship: “You will be provided with professional liability coverage for the duration of your training”

Contract: Specifically states does not cover liability prior to employment.

I doubt any physician training ever even looked at the terms of coverage or statute of limitations. Do new attendings need nose/tail coverage upon completion of training?

#196988 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Your residency should have all of that taken care of. I’ve never heard of a resident having to do this when transitioning into attendinghood.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#196989 Reply
    Participant
    Do new attendings need nose/tail coverage upon completion of training?

Click to expand…

we were provided tail.

#196994 Reply
    Liked by E5797
    Participant
    we were provided tail.

Click to expand…

You are lucky. Mine got cut like a Doberman.

#196995 Reply
    Liked by ENT Doc
    White.Beard.Doc White.Beard.Doc 
    Participant

From my experience with risk management…

Some hospitals have claims made insurance for everyone covered under the hospital malpractice plan.  However, this coverage is claims made with a twist, which is known as “extended reporting period”.  Essentially, it means that the hospital pays into their coverage plan each year for the liability and defense costs for that particular year.  But the “extended reporting period” means that any incident that occurred during residency is still covered by the hospital liability coverage plan after you have left, even though this was a claims made policy.  The premium to cover the claim was not paid during residency, but the coverage is still there as the premiums are paid by the hospital each year and that covers the resident for the “extended reporting period”.

I have never heard of a resident needing to purchase a tail upon completion of training, and I am curious to know more about the details of Kamban’s assertion above to the contrary.  What institution trains you but does not provide full malpractice coverage for the duration of the residency, including claims down the road related to duties performed as a resident?  Professional liability coverage is required for anything that happened within the training program, whether that claim was filed during or after completion of the program.

From ACGME program requirements: “The Sponsoring Institution must provide residents/fellows with professional liability coverage, including legal defense and protection against awards from claims reported or filed during participation in each of its ACGME-accredited programs, or after completion of the program(s) if the alleged acts or omissions of a resident/fellow are within the scope of the program(s).”

#197304 Reply
    Participant

Thank you all. “After completion” is a sigh of relief.
    Just never heard of physicians in training concerned about malpractice except for moonlighting.

#197352 Reply

Reply To: Do most Residents and Fellows Need a Nose Job – Malpractice Insurance?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear