Menu

DispatchHealth Raises $33 Million To Bring More House Calls To Patients

Home The Lounge DispatchHealth Raises $33 Million To Bring More House Calls To Patients

Participant

“DispatchHealth aims to reduce ER visits among the 100,000 patients it expects to serve this year and anticipates a savings of more than $100 million in direct medical spending in 2019. It accomplishes this by combining mobile tech with an old-school service: the house call. ”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamelton/2019/05/08/dispatchhealth-raises-33-million-to-bring-more-house-calls-to-patients/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-dozen#69e79e6f783f

#213407 Reply
    No naked links. If you post a link, include both a short quote from the article and your own thoughts on the article and why you think it should be discussed on the forum.

Click to expand…

Do you have thoughts about the article that you would like to share?

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#213419 Reply
    Liked by Peds
    ENT Doc ENT Doc 
    Participant

The market responds.

#213431 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

“According to the CDC, three in four Americans age 65 and older are living with multiple chronic conditions.”

What I get out of the article is that we need to do a better job as a society on promoting a healthy lifestyle.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#213435 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

What I get out of the article is that we need to do a better job as a society on promoting a healthy lifestyle.

Click to expand…

We kind of do try to promote a healthy lifestyle. Benign healthy and skinny is considered more desirable. But then we’re still fat. And people get accused of fat-shaming…

#213438 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

Click to expand…

We kind of do try to promote a healthy lifestyle. Benign healthy and skinny is considered more desirable. But then we’re still fat. And people get accused of fat-shaming…

Click to expand…

But fat is beautiful…

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#213444 Reply
    Liked by jhwkr542
    Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus

“According to the CDC, three in four Americans age 65 and older are living with multiple chronic conditions.”

Click to expand…

I agree. I think hard core early age indoctrination of healthy lifestyle would help. Large sugar/starch/carbohydrate taxes to subsidize leafy green plant based foods I think would help also.

#213450 Reply
    Liked by Vagabond MD
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

It’s gonna take more than $33M to get me to go to some stranger’s house.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#213454 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod, Eye3md, hatton1
    Hank Hank 

Click to expand…

What if they have candy?

#213460 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

Click to expand…

What if they have candy?

Click to expand…

Pizza…maybe…if it is good pizza…

But seriously, I have a friend, a retired PT, who did home physical therapy in our city and was routinely in and out of the worst neighborhoods in our city. Not for me, man. Maybe in Medina, WA, Beverly Hills, CA, or Vail, CO, but those people would not need the service.

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#213463 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

I doubt that these lowers ER/hospital visits and readmissions. This is not a new concept, mobile integrated health has been used to attempt to prevent readmissions with mixed results. I actually suspect this may have a long term increase in overall healthcare utilization, including ER/hospital visits. Sending a PA/NP to someone’s house with minimal resources doesn’t strike me as a game changer. This is essentially home health with labs. I will say that I like the overall concept, I don’t love the general execution strategy.

#213473 Reply
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

I doubt that these lowers ER/hospital visits and readmissions. This is not a new concept, mobile integrated health has been used to attempt to prevent readmissions with mixed results. I actually suspect this may have a long term increase in overall healthcare utilization, including ER/hospital visits. Sending a PA/NP to someone’s house with minimal resources doesn’t strike me as a game changer. This is essentially home health with labs. I will say that I like the overall concept, I don’t love the general execution strategy.

Click to expand…

Agree, I think it is a way to skim from the pie, not reduce the pie.

#213478 Reply
    Participant

How is taking doctors who would otherwise have impacted schedules and have them drive to see 5 patients/day improve healthcare? Was this a practicing doctor’s idea? Seems like these ideas to “improve” healthcare delivery efficiency are always pipeline theranos-like dreams, unconnected to the realities of medicine and the laws of physics.

#213480 Reply

How is taking doctors who would otherwise have impacted schedules and have them drive to see 5 patients/day improve healthcare?

Click to expand…

“The company dispatches to its customers’ homes nurse practitioners and physician assistants…”

The Finance Buff's solo 401k contribution spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/6cZKVA

#213484 Reply
    Liked by wonka31
    Participant

“DispatchHealth aims to reduce ER visits among the 100,000 patients it expects to serve this year and anticipates a savings of more than $100 million in direct medical spending in 2019. It accomplishes this by combining mobile tech with an old-school service: the house call. ”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicamelton/2019/05/08/dispatchhealth-raises-33-million-to-bring-more-house-calls-to-patients/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-dozen#69e79e6f783f

Click to expand…

Strategies like these are a dime a dozen on venture capital rich/tech hub Bay Area. In my view this is a pipe dream with no clear path towards financial sustainability. You have a little used app/service and are paying a doc $150-200 an hour to sit in a van along with a tech waiting for a call. Instead of churning through 3-4 patient’s an hour at an Urgent Care you have more limited resources and instead see 4-5 patients in a day if you are lucky (1-1.5 pts in an hour if your schedule is packed and having to pack up and drive around to each patient for a 75% reduction in max efficiency). Using a PA saves on your hourly cost, but you are still losing out big time on efficiency of that provider’s time. There is a sketchiness factor, going into people’s homes with variable safety. I had a few friends in residency who did this and they would routinely see very few patients, make some pretty good money and then the company would fold after the initial VC funding ran out.

#213488 Reply

Reply To: DispatchHealth Raises $33 Million To Bring More House Calls To Patients

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear