Menu

Define expensive vacation

Home General/Welcome Define expensive vacation

Participant

I was just in Uganda two years ago and was told the gorilla permits were only a couple hundred dollars…maybe like $400-600 if I remember correctly. Maybe they’ve gone up in price since then?

I flew round trip in the cheap seats and my flights totaled $1800. Pleasant surprise, though, this being my first international flight and come to find that alcohol is free on those flight!

And you can do safari stuff for cheap. I stayed at a safari camp that included breakfast and dinner and I had a private cottage to myself, all for ~$150/night. Your money goes pretty far over there.

#200739 Reply
    Liked by Phoenixdown99
    Participant
    I was just in Uganda two years ago and was told the gorilla permits were only a couple hundred dollars…maybe like $400-600

Click to expand…

Uganda is much cheaper than Rwanda for permits, but it is still $600/day per person except cheaper in a few select months in Uganda  and  $1500/day in Rwanda.  There are 96 permits/day. I think 80 in Rwanda.  The DRC has the cheapest permits.

For those of you who are Singita fans (high end luxury lodging), Singita is opening up a new property in Rwanda which opens this fall tailored to trekkers.

#200765 Reply
    Participant

Travel is really important to me. I generally take 3-4 US/Canada trips a year (ranging anywhere from a long weekend road trip to a week on the other side of the country), plus at least one international trip, which I usually do by extending a conference trip by a few days to a week. My plans for 2019:

1. MLK Jr weekend in Washington DC (within driving distance, and I have family in the area so lodging is free)
    2. 5 day reunion with med school friends in New Orleans (flights were $250 round trip, my portion of the Airbnb was $200, and spent about $300 on food/drink/entertainment)
    3. 5 day conference trip to Philadelphia (flights, registration, lodging covered by my CME fund; all meals included in registration fee although will be treating myself to a nice dinner while there as it’s over my birthday)
    4. 4 day conference trip to Paris in June (CME fund will cover registration and lodging but not flights, so I’m on the hook for $1776 plus meals, budgeting about $2k total)
    5. 1 week in Western Canada in early August (flights covered with CC points, staying with family)
    6. 2 weeks in the South of France in September (1 week conference, 1 week vacation; flights and the first weeks’ lodging/meals will be covered by CME fund which reset on July 1)

Still debating what I plan to do for Thanksgiving and Christmas but more than likely will be staying local. I’m lucky that I have a generous CME fund and my specialty conferences tend to happen in fun places, but I travel often and well for under 5k a year.

#200831 Reply
    Participant
    Disability Insurance

Travel is really important to me. I generally take 3-4 US/Canada trips a year (ranging anywhere from a long weekend road trip to a week on the other side of the country), plus at least one international trip, which I usually do by extending a conference trip by a few days to a week. My plans for 2019:

1. MLK Jr weekend in Washington DC (within driving distance, and I have family in the area so lodging is free)
    2. 5 day reunion with med school friends in New Orleans (flights were $250 round trip, my portion of the Airbnb was $200, and spent about $300 on food/drink/entertainment)
    3. 5 day conference trip to Philadelphia (flights, registration, lodging covered by my CME fund; all meals included in registration fee although will be treating myself to a nice dinner while there as it’s over my birthday)
    4. 4 day conference trip to Paris in June (CME fund will cover registration and lodging but not flights, so I’m on the hook for $1776 plus meals, budgeting about $2k total)
    5. 1 week in Western Canada in early August (flights covered with CC points, staying with family)
    6. 2 weeks in the South of France in September (1 week conference, 1 week vacation; flights and the first weeks’ lodging/meals will be covered by CME fund which reset on July 1)

Still debating what I plan to do for Thanksgiving and Christmas but more than likely will be staying local. I’m lucky that I have a generous CME fund and my specialty conferences tend to happen in fun places, but I travel often and well for under 5k a year.

Click to expand…

That’s quite the CME fund you’ve got there.

#200947 Reply
    Liked by Panscan
    Participant

Almost makes up for the 30% paycut I take in academics vs private practice!

#201069 Reply
    Dreamgiver Dreamgiver 
    Participant

Almost makes up for the 30% paycut I take in academics vs private practice!

Click to expand…

Is it a CME fund use it or lose it kind? Or is it just a pre-tax fund where you use your own money pretax?

#201082 Reply
    Participant

“Almost makes up for the 30% paycut I take in academics vs private practice”

But think of the tax savings! Does an online course work for the European trips?

#201196 Reply
    Participant

It’s a use-it-or-lose-it discretionary fund from my department, on top of regular salary. I have a department credit card to use for “approved expenses” (basically flights, registration, restaurants) up to the yearly limit. I do have to submit receipts, and I bet if I charged a $200 dinner to the department, I’d get some side-eye from my business manager. But I’m downright frugal on the dept’s dime as well as my own; I think the most expensive meal I’ve had while traveling was a networking event which was $50 including tax, tip, and drinks.

#201330 Reply
    Phoenixdown99 Phoenixdown99 
    Participant

“but you cannot compare going to the zoo with seeing animals in the wild…Also, these gorillas are habituated to humans so they are not “totally wild.”

Hmmm…so, this expensive trip is like paying the Ferrari price for a Honda Accord that some guy put a Ferrari body kit on…it may look ‘wild’, but it’s just a dressed up zoo (plus ebola). Kudos to the marketers and locals who cash in on this, marketing extraordinaire.

Click to expand…

No, actually it is completely different. The behavior of the animals is still natural as they are not confined in Zoos. Many animals experience stress-related disorders when they are pent up in zoos, away from their natural social units. Zoos do have their place as far as education, since not everyone can afford a trip to Africa, but whether it is ethical to keep highly intelligent animals in small enclosures (elephants, gorillas, orca whales) is highly debatable.

Also, in zoos you can’t directly interact with the gorillas. There is a glass between you and them. In Uganda, the gorillas make the choice.

#201414 Reply
    Liked by mapplebum, Kamban
    Participant
    climbhigh wrote: I was just in Uganda two years ago and was told the gorilla permits were only a couple hundred dollars…maybe like $400-600 Uganda is much cheaper than Rwanda for permits, but it is still $600/day per person except cheaper in a few select months in Uganda and $1500/day in Rwanda. There are 96 permits/day. I think 80 in Rwanda. The DRC has the cheapest permits. For those of you who are Singita fans (high end luxury lodging), Singita is opening up a new property in Rwanda which opens this fall tailored to trekkers.

Click to expand…

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/american-tourist-kidnapped-ugandas-queen-elizabeth-national-park-124114127–abc-news-topstories.html

FYI

#203560 Reply
    Phoenixdown99 Phoenixdown99 
    Participant

Wow, that is terrible. Unfortunately, things happen both when travelling and at home. Just the other day a girl was killed getting into the wrong car rather than her Uber. I would not let this stop me from travelling the world. But as we know, everyone has their risk tolerance level.

#203564 Reply
    Participant

Read these quotes in the story

The tour guide, Congolese national Jean-Paul Mirenge Remezo, works for Wild Frontiers Uganda, a company spokesperson told ABC News. The American tourist, Endicott, was one of the three guests on a safari excursion when she and the guide were both abducted, the spokesperson said.

The Queen Elizabeth National Park is located near Uganda’s border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Authorities have “cut off all exit areas on the border” in the search for the victims, according to Namaye.

I think the two are related and it is an inside job with the tour guide assisting the kidnappers in selecting the US tourist while leaving the Canadians behind. He probably thought the American had the money and also kidnapping the Canadians did not or would not lead to successful ransom.

#203699 Reply
    Participant
    #205862 Reply
    Participant

Just wait until you have kids and they are older.  We are now counting down the number of summers our kids will still live with us and planning some great vacations.

This summer 2 weeks in Japan

Next summer European Disney cruise

As they get older and busy with school/activities/friends family vacation time becomes precious

#207222 Reply

Reply To: Define expensive vacation

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear