Menu

Define expensive vacation

Home General/Welcome Define expensive vacation

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Although approximately 1/8 of my yearly spending goes to travel, the numbers being thrown out make me feel like I haven’t been going overboard with travel expenses. I had a friend go on one of those Viking cruises and spend about $20k, which made my jaw drop. I did, however, spend about $6-7k to see a mouse in Orlando this year.

Click to expand…

a really big mouse!

#199751 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant
    So how much was it @bean1970?

Click to expand…

it can be pretty variable. i’m not an expert, but this is what i have learned (given will be our second trip over).

obviously one can really change the cost via the travel. Sitting in the back row shoved up against the bathroom in a non-reclining seat is obviously more economical than first class with full out beds. The cost difference runs about 8K per person between economy and first class. Where you start from adds cost. we have to fly to NYC, then Europe and then to Entebee. Round trips cheaper than multicity…we are leaving from a different airport than Entebee. we could have saved some money flying back to Entebee, but that adds another flight…given all the time in the air just to do this trip….another flight is not what i want! it’s roughly 24 hours air time as is…..

The goriilla permit is $2500. For two days. you are allowed to observe for an hour once you hike to them. Apparently it could be 4-5 hour hike each way or as short as an hour..just depends where the gorillas are that day. they move. it also can be a brutal hike which is why this is one of those trips i need to do before i hit ripe old standard retirement age. (that is when i book the slow moving River cruise lol).

The highest end accommodations are “luxury lodges”. honestly it is pretty hard via my itinerary to figure out the exact cost per day. i do know in South Africa when we went last time it was $2500/night per person which includes everything. it’s fabulous. that’s all i can say. Then there are luxury tented camps (which we are doing for a portion) and then more economical options.  i can pm you the damages, but it can be quite variable, but it is all expensive overall.

#199828 Reply
    Liked by MaxPower, Kamban
    Participant

@bean1970,

So if I throw in covered parking at the airport,
    my postit scratch comes to about :
    A Condo for a resident? Cash!
    Enjoy the hike! Try to post a picture of the tent please.

#199838 Reply
    Participant

“The gorilla permit is $2500. For two days. you are allowed to observe for an hour once you hike to them.”

The local zoo has buy one get one free days and has no limit on the amount of time you can observe the gorillas. For that price you don’t get the thrill of the threat of ebola or kidnapping, nor do you get to spend 24 hours each way in a narrow metal tube…

#199848 Reply
    Participant

Or the threat of a gorilla crushing your skull

#199857 Reply
    Liked by CM
    Participant

We spend about 20k a year on Vacations which is about 20% of our budget after taxes. Still in residency but we are trying to do 2 international trips a year. One is usually a “trip” (sight seeing, moving, country hopping, etc.) and one a vacation, Sitting on a Sandals resort somewhere in the Caribbean. Then 3-4 mini trips with Friends/Family such as skiing, cabin in a national park, lake trips a few times a year.

Basically we have to put in our schedules a year in advance. We basically cash flow the vacation year round, buy airline tickets first, then hotel, then excursions, etc over a 6 month period. Vacations are always the budget buster for us, as we always spend more than we budgeted and dip into savings… but never have regretted it.

#199858 Reply
    Phoenixdown99 Phoenixdown99 
    Participant

Hey, it is not for everyone, but you cannot compare going to the zoo with seeing animals in the wild.

I’ve seen plenty of elephants in zoos. Seeing wild elephant herds roaming around and interacting with their babies was incomparable.

Plus, you are contributing to the protection of these animals by supporting eco-tourism as the local population see their value beyond poaching.

You can definitely get a cheaper deal than $2500 a day for the Gorillas. The permit itself is only $600. If you’re interested, feel free to reach out and I can help.

Also, these gorillas are habituated to humans so they are not “totally wild.”

#199862 Reply
    Participant

“but you cannot compare going to the zoo with seeing animals in the wild…Also, these gorillas are habituated to humans so they are not “totally wild.”

Hmmm…so, this expensive trip is like paying the Ferrari price for a Honda Accord that some guy put a Ferrari body kit on…it may look ‘wild’, but it’s just a dressed up zoo (plus ebola). Kudos to the marketers and locals who cash in on this, marketing extraordinaire.

#199870 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Hmmm…so, this expensive trip is like paying the Ferrari price for a Honda Accord that some guy put a Ferrari body kit on…it may look ‘wild’, but it’s just a dressed up zoo (plus ebola). Kudos to the marketers and locals who cash in on this, marketing extraordinaire.

Click to expand…

Just because they have become somewhat accustomed to humans does not mean they are not wild. They are in no way comparable to animals in zoos.

We have had so called “dressed up zoo”  elephants suddenly charge at us for no apparent reason in Kenya, a lion walking so close to us that we could have reached out from the our open jeep and touched it and it would not have cared because it just had gorged on a wildebeest or a giraffe that was so close that my telephoto lens could not even focus its head.

You can never get such experiences even in the best zoos here like the Cincinnati or San Diego zoos. Try it one time, and you will be a convert.

#199894 Reply
    Participant

“but you cannot compare going to the zoo with seeing animals in the wild…Also, these gorillas are habituated to humans so they are not “totally wild.”

Click to expand…

Wow, a lot of “shade” thrown on the forum at folks who actually like to travel and see the world… yikes.  Try not being so provincial; you only go around once, and it’s a big world out there.

We typically take 2 vacations a year, and as our kids have gotten older relish the time with them more before they head off to college.  This year to Africa for a safari in Tanzania and then touring in South Africa then a few days in Europe.  Three weeks, and way more than we’ve spent before for a vacation.  But I drive a cheap car, no loans, and several times FI; so as the WCI says, “you can do anything, just not everything.”  So true.

#199898 Reply
    Participant
    This year to Africa for a safari in Tanzania

Click to expand…

i’ll look for you if you are there in Sept lol..

on the expensive trip note: I realize luxury lodging a few weeks in Africa isn’t cheap. last time our vehicle was four physicians (include me/husband) and a very famous novelist/movie screenplay writer and spouse. My friends who I grew up with would never be able to afford a trip like this.  So it really is one of the opportunist luxuries a empty nester, no debt, FI two physician couple is capable of with of no financial consequence I can think of. Dying with this money isn’t going to do me any good.  we have been fatFI for many years and are still working. Seeing the world is a great way to use our cash flow at this point.

i still have a pretty decent travel bucket list…it’s been a tad hard to cross some out just since we are both working, but trying to do some of the more physically demanding ones (both literally and air travel wise) and leave some of the low key ones (like River Cruises) for when i’m older.

#199915 Reply
    BostonRN BostonRN 
    Participant

Hubby and I did a riverboat cruise through Hungary, Austria and Germany. We were by far the youngest on the cruise (me 45, him 49). I would guess the average age was 72. Most were in good health. There was a bit of walking each day through the various cities and sites. There were many older than 80 who struggled, even in good health. The cobblestones and sidewalks in Europe are not forgiving. If there was one takeaway from our trip it was: see the world when you are younger and in good health (hard to do without money obviously, but if you can, you should). After 80, even if you are in good health physically, travel is difficult mentally.

#200408 Reply
    Participant

I’m cheap. I’ve been with my family on lots of wonderful vacations all over Europe Australia and Asia. But we always stay in average hotels and Airbnbs. Mostly travel coach class. That way we get to see more places. Next month we’re going to a distillery tour to Scotland. Airbnb in London and Edinburgh at $150 a night and a cottage in speyside for $100 a night. Two couples sharing. Plenty of hiking in the highlands and sighseeeing in the city.

#200419 Reply
    Participant

Everest can be climbed (not just to base camp) for less than $100k.  It will require 2+ months, however.

#200428 Reply
    Participant

When I saw the Everest thing, it reminded me of some of the fantasy camps available.

Football with the Pats, how bout BP against a legend and some minor leaguers or maybe one of those race car training classes. golf and basketball too. Day dreaming a little spectator sports are just fine. Some camps are pretty cool. Things do go wrong though.
    https://jalopnik.com/man-dies-after-crash-at-stock-car-fantasy-camp-1638717481

Everest with caution and skip BP against Nolan Ryan.
    He would keep him wife loose at the plate.

#200658 Reply

Reply To: Define expensive vacation

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear