Menu

Define expensive vacation

Home General/Welcome Define expensive vacation

Participant

“Some of the greatest sights of the world are seen by you when you decide to leave USA with an open mind.”

But I don’t need to see the greatest sights in the world. I certainly don’t need to see them in person.

I have seen Guernica in person, in the US. Again, I don’t know nearly enough about the art and its role in history for it to matter that I saw the painting directly.

I am pretty sure I could not read a sophomore level introductory textbook on 20th century art because I know nothing about art before that. If I were going to learn more about art, I could learn much more by taking an online course than by traveling overseas to visit a museum. Not even close.

#194794 Reply
    Participant

If you have little interest in art, I wouldn’t waste time in museums.  I enjoy museums and churches while traveling mostly because I have studied them in the past.  If you are looking at the pieces simply because you think they look nice, you will soon burn out of looking at too many works of art.

That being said, I don’t think the statement about seeing the greatest sites in the world with an open mind only applies to art.

#194893 Reply
    Participant
    I have seen the Mona Lisa, when it was brought to the US. The problem is not the conditions of viewing. I don’t know (nearly) enough about art to understand why it is so revered. Seeing it as much as they will permit a know-nothing member of the public to do does not enhance my experience. If I knew a lot about art, at least bachelor’s level in art history, then seeing great art in person might be meaningful. As it stands I don’t know enough to appreciate what I am looking at. I like music but I don’t know anything about it. I cannot tell the greatest string quartet in the world from a decent student group at a good conservatory. That means I do not need to travel or buy expensive tickets to see the peerless professionals. I can get the same experience from the free student concert. And it is free. Same would apply to seeing the Pryamids- no degree in archeology or ancient history- or visiting other great European museums. If I knew much more about art and history then maybe I would get to the point where I could pick up something meaningful about a work that has not been noted by experts. I consider it highly unlikely I will ever reach that level of expertise.

Click to expand…

You are looking at it from a wrong perspective. For the record I have never studied art or music or architecture and I may be at a lower rung than you.

But what I do is a couple of things. I don’t try to see all the paintings – that is a waste of time. I also try and get into a free guided tour or rent one of those audio devices. This really helps me understand the art much more by observing selected paintings. I try and appreciate a few painters – I love paintings by Dali, Vincent Van Gogh, Picasso and Renoir. The small Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam is a joy to see.

I also use guided tours when seeing important forts, Castles and other man-made and natural wonders. I also don’t try and see if that particular activity was worth it or not. Sometimes I get myself into a dream like state and just gaze in wonderment – in the Red square at the St. Basil church or in the evening at the sun setting over the Grand Canyon or in the Outback sleeping in a swag ( their version of sleeping bag) in freezing temp as the camp fire was dying and gazing at the bazillion stars above my eyes in the Southern Hemisphere sky. Priceless experiences.

#194896 Reply
    Liked by adventure, Anne
    uptoolate uptoolate 
    Participant

Family of six so most vacations were pretty expensive – skiing, Europe, sun, cottage.  Not to mention the cost of not being at work. lol. But it is one area that I never really begrudged spending the money despite being frugal by nature.

#194910 Reply
    Participant

Fascinating to see dollar figures attached to vacations. I knew that many people spend more than I do but I had no idea how much.
    I could not imagine spending $5,000 on a vacation.
    Beyond comprehension.

It would require me to travel farther and stay longer in someplace I had no desire to go in the first place.

For me, a great vacation involves no out of town travel at all. I sleep every night in my, paid for, home. Eat the same food. Get extra sleep, longer workouts and more reading. Spend a couple of days at my local library, take some walks or hikes, for free. Net cost is very close to zero.

The list of foreign countries to which I would agree to travel is short. Canada, yes, if there were a good reason, such as an important professional meeting. Would never go there without an important work reason.

ANYWHERE else outside the country would be “probably not but we’ll see.” Would have to be among the small number of pluralistic secular democracies with human rights at least as well protected as in the US.
    Other than Canada, would have to be somewhere in Western Europe.
    Nowhere in Asia.
    Hawaii is part of the US, but too far away. Never going there.

A vacation trip outside certain places in the US is not going to happen.

I have been to beaches. Lots of sand and water. Sometimes rocks. Often sunny. No need to go anywhere or spend anything to see another beach.
    Same for mountains.

I can learn more of what I might want to know about foreign countries by reading about them than by going there.

Click to expand…

I can kind of understand this perspective, although I don’t share it.

Travelling can be hard work.  I really want to go to Samarkand, Uzbekistan, but it’s a long journey with no real efficient way there, just thinking about it makes me tired.  Same with the Harbin Ice Festival–I want to go see it while it still exists, but it is out there.  And I know I will have to put up with more cold than I would ever put up with at home.  But hopefully I will still make it.

I have a pretty good life.  Getting outside the U.S. and seeing the way the rest of the world lives makes me even more aware of that.  Even in countries that I am envious of sometimes don’t have quite the easy living you see in the U.S.  Seeing that makes me appreciate what I have more.  It also makes me more aware of the ways that I am truly American, and the ways in which maybe I would fit in better with another culture.

We track our expenses monthly, and our expenses on months when we spend 2/4 weeks out of the country are really not much higher than those we are in the country.  Some of that is that the accommodations and flights are often paid for in other months, so the expense gets spread out, but also we aren’t buying stuff that we would when home.  Our eating out bill will be higher, our grocery and utility bills and random daily expenses bills will be lower.  It fairly evens out.

I don’t think you can really learn about a country with reading alone.  When you read, you just get the perspective of the author.  When you travel, you get your own perspective.  Someone else on the same trip might have a different perspective.  The only way to form your own perspective is to experience it, while also being open to the fact that others will have a different experience.

Just a brief example–a couple years ago I was visiting Berlin with my husband.  He has several friends in what used to be East Berlin, and several others in what used to be West Berlin.  They are our age, and all have their own account of the events surrounding the fall of the Berlin Wall.  Some of their accounts and the way they felt about it were exactly what I thought they would be based on my own American perspective and readings.  Some of their accounts were completely different than what I thought they would be.  It was very surprising and eye-opening for me.  Yes, I guess I could have met them in the U.S. or talked on the phone and found out the same thing, but travelling to an area to see what it’s really like  and what the culture is like there firsthand has no comparison to reading about it IMO.  YMMV.

#195028 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner
    I can learn more of what I might want to know about foreign countries by reading about them than by going there.

Click to expand…

Have you seen the movie/read the book “The Accidental Tourist”? I really enjoyed it.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#195037 Reply
    BostonRN BostonRN 
    Participant

Depends on where you are in life – both in family situation and money. We traveled a lot – but cheaply as residents. Expensive stuff before kids. Then cheap stuff driving once they arrived. Travel is a high priority for us. We really want to teach to children to love traveling. Probably spending 30-40k annually now. 3-4 nice 1 week vacations and a 2 week international. We think budgeting 50k going forward is reasonable, after retirement we want to do a complete 6-12 month around the world cruise which can be 100k.

Click to expand…

Hubby and I have already planned for the 6 month riverboat cruise around the world the year we retire…$50k per person for the cheap room. Can’t wait!

#195040 Reply
    Participant

There are plenty of amazing places in the united states as well to explore.

#195143 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Depends on where you are in life – both in family situation and money. We traveled a lot – but cheaply as residents. Expensive stuff before kids. Then cheap stuff driving once they arrived. Travel is a high priority for us. We really want to teach to children to love traveling. Probably spending 30-40k annually now. 3-4 nice 1 week vacations and a 2 week international. We think budgeting 50k going forward is reasonable, after retirement we want to do a complete 6-12 month around the world cruise which can be 100k.

Click to expand…

Hubby and I have already planned for the 6 month riverboat cruise around the world the year we retire…$50k per person for the cheap room. Can’t wait!

Click to expand…

This is a new one on me! When did riverboats start traveling around the world?

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~ 270-247-0555
    https://fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only/

#195152 Reply
    Liked by adventure, Kamban, CM
    BostonRN BostonRN 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Google “the Epic Viking Journey” – world cruise spanning 5 continents. 141 day cruise from Miami to London, 35 countries, 66 ports. $50K/pp.

#199704 Reply
    Participant

Does not include gratuity, drinks, or excursions .

#199721 Reply
    Participant

it is “funny” this thread reared its head today as i just exceeded my previous “expensive” vacation.  I just booked gorilla trek to Uganda followed by following the great migration through the Serengeti. I wasn’t able to swing a flight via points like i did on last Africa trip…so i just threw in the towel and booked the entire thing first class/delta one.

I can spread out the Africa payments other than i had to pay upfront for the gorilla permits and 25% down.  I haven’t heard final word on our taxes but this might be the one time a hefty refund would come in handy as i haven’t needed that money and this would be a perfect place for it. lol……..

#199731 Reply
    Participant

So how much was it @bean1970? I’ve always wanted to do something like this but can never find any info about it online. Feel free to post a link to somewhere I can get an idea on the price or send me a PM please. Thanks.

#199732 Reply
    Phoenixdown99 Phoenixdown99 
    Participant

I’ve been to 37 countries. My most expensive trip was a Tanzanian safari and Kilimanjaro climb my first year as an attending which was around $10,000 (sorry WCI, but at least I did not have student loans), and totally worth it. I am single so I can afford to spend quite a bit on travel, but luckily, there are some great destinations that are quite affordable for families. One of the things I love about being a travel agent on the side is to show people these options. Colombia is really hot right now and quite safe. Belize is my fave.

I am planning to do the Gorilla trek once the Ebola outbreak calms down across the border.

By the way, Everest costs $100,000 or more to climb, plus at least a month off of work. Expensive is relative…

#199736 Reply
    wonka31 wonka31 
    Participant

Although approximately 1/8 of my yearly spending goes to travel, the numbers being thrown out make me feel like I haven’t been going overboard with travel expenses. I had a friend go on one of those Viking cruises and spend about $20k, which made my jaw drop. I did, however, spend about $6-7k to see a mouse in Orlando this year.

#199745 Reply

Reply To: Define expensive vacation

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear