Menu

Daily volumes

Home Practice Management Daily volumes

Participant
    Anything else that significantly impacts your volume- we are paid wRVU’s and have a bonus structure based on exceeding both the 75%ile and 90%ile in wRVU’s based on the prior year MGMA benchmarks.  So staying above the 90%ile is a very good motivator to stay busy.

Click to expand…

Can you be more specific about this bonus structure? I’d love to have something like this for our high producers.

#198009 Reply
    Participant
    The upside is I was done seeing patients early and got to bike 66 miles today before it got dark.

Click to expand…

That is so awesome! Good for you!

#198012 Reply
    Participant

We tend to have lower volumes in psychiatry, but it takes that time to work in therapy. One of the few specialties coaxing our patients to tell us more, right? I average 12-13 outpatients in a 7 hour day and 1-2 inpatients. I can see 25-30 inpatients on-call comfortably on the weekends. That puts me near the 90th percentile in terms of productivity, which is nothing compared to the volume many of you see.

#198027 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I think I have lower volumes than almost anyone who’s posted.  That’s why I keep my spending so low.  The upside is I was done seeing patients early and got to bike 66 miles today before it got dark.  I enjoy that more than just about anything that costs money.

Click to expand…

I’d take a paycut to bike 66 miles a day!! Perhaps post student loans.

#198084 Reply
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

I think I have lower volumes than almost anyone who’s posted.  That’s why I keep my spending so low.  The upside is I was done seeing patients early and got to bike 66 miles today before it got dark.  I enjoy that more than just about anything that costs money.

Click to expand…

I’d take a paycut to bike 66 miles a day!! Perhaps post student loans.

Click to expand…

Definitely not an everyday thing.  Today it snowed about 4 inches…  Hopefully will happen more often starting in April :).  I have taken hefty pay cuts the last few years just by saying no a lot more and don’t regret it the slightest bit.

#198222 Reply
    Liked by shady, adventure
    Participant
    Anything else that significantly impacts your volume- we are paid wRVU’s and have a bonus structure based on exceeding both the 75%ile and 90%ile in wRVU’s based on the prior year MGMA benchmarks.  So staying above the 90%ile is a very good motivator to stay busy. 

Click to expand…

Can you be more specific about this bonus structure? I’d love to have something like this for our high producers.

Click to expand…

SLC OB- Sorry for the delay. Our bonus is based on MGMA %ile for prior year. So for Fiscal Year 2018 the (FP no OB) 75%ile was 5947 wRVUs – if I clear that level I am paid $1.50 per wRVU= 1.50x 5947= $10774.68. If I clear the 90%ile (for FY 2018 FP no OB= 6994 wRVU), in addition to the 75%ile bonus, I am paid 5% of my TOTAL PAY for the year. That percentage will increase every year by 1% to a maximum on 10% as long as I stay above the 90%ile. If at anytime I go below the 90%ile the percentage resets to 5%. Example: If my total pay for FY 2018 was $300,000 and I was in my first year above the 90%ile I would be paid: 5% x 300,000= $15,000 plus the amount above for being above the 75%ile.

#202206 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I am semi-retired now.  I just do GYN.  I see up to 15 patients per day.  The practice is hospital owned so inefficient.  About 50% of the patients that I see need some type of minor office procedure.  I still do minor GYN cases.  2-3/week. In my “prime” I was doing up to 30 deliveries month plus gyn surgery.  Covering 2 hospitals.  Office varied 30-40.  I operated  up to 4 days per week and saw patients 3.5 days.

#202228 Reply
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

35-40 patients per day. Ortho. <1 yR into practice. Once I get allocated my own scribe and get busier, I’d assume 50-60/day within the next two years.

Click to expand…

Maybe I’m missing something but Fatlittlepig has a hard time understanding how someone can see 40 patients day in and out, write 40 notes, close 40 encounters. Seems miserable. Fatlittlepig is not outpatient but doesn’t just one hiccup patient screw your whole day up.

#202235 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Lordosis
    Participant

EM, 30-40 with help of PA and scribe.  Probably see 50-66% of those on my own.

#202252 Reply
    Participant

Pulm/Crit

~ 25 patients daily, 8 – 12 ICU patients, rest are pulm/icu follow ups

#202284 Reply
    Participant

35-40 patients per day. Ortho. <1 yR into practice. Once I get allocated my own scribe and get busier, I’d assume 50-60/day within the next two years.

Click to expand…

Maybe I’m missing something but Fatlittlepig has a hard time understanding how someone can see 40 patients day in and out, write 40 notes, close 40 encounters. Seems miserable. Fatlittlepig is not outpatient but doesn’t just one hiccup patient screw your whole day up.

Click to expand…

Those are typical ortho volumes. Not sure, since I don’t do ortho, but I think it is “Bone broken, need cast” or “Bone healed, take cast off”? 😉

#202321 Reply
    Liked by ACN, Lordosis, Tim
    Participant

Hospitalist here. 18-20 patients. Above that begins to take a toll on me.

#202347 Reply
    Participant

Movement disorders, academic tertiary care. First year out of fellowship. My template for a half-day block (4 hr) is 3 new patients (60 min) + 2 follow-ups (30 min). I have 5 regular clinics a week, plus a botox half-day where everyone is a 30 min slot. The botox could be done in 10 min (including time to draw it up; this is how I did it in fellowship) but the university makes us do a time-out for everything, so I spend half my time running around looking for the nurses.

#202365 Reply
    Liked by Tim, hatton1
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Yes.  One unexpected hiccup and all the plates flying in the air come crashing down when one is busy at multiple hospitals.

#202383 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

Rural family practice PA, 7 years into practice. 18-24 per 7 hour day depending on how many annual exams, procedures, and new patients which get 30 min appts, and of course no-shows. Some days I don’t have an MA so I don’t know if I could handle much more than that.

#202405 Reply

Reply To: Daily volumes

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear