Menu

CYAI – It’s Back! Afford both college AND med school for the kids?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting CYAI – It’s Back! Afford both college AND med school for the kids?

• jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Status: Financial Advisor, Accountant, Small Business Owner

Yep, this week’s analysis is about a family physician who bases his financial decisions on gut instincts, has no 529s, kids 3 and 5 yrs away from graduating HS, AND who hopes to pay the full cost of college and med school for both. I’m not sure if the goal is as surprising as the facts of the case – see for yourself!

For those new to CYAI, I prepare this bi-weekly analysis for personal enjoyment only, no remuneration involved other than the ad that XRAYVSN asked to post. Not sure how much longer I’ll be able to spare the time to do so as our practice continues to grow pretty rapidly, but we have submissions for at least the next several months and I don’t intend to leave any submissions hanging. Click here if you’d like me to analyze your own financial dilemma.

Johanna Fox Turner, CPA, CFP, Fox Wealth Mgmt & Fox CPAs ~
    http://www.fox-cpas.com/for-doctors-only ~ [email protected]

#220306 Reply
    Participant

Nice.  Kind of same thread of the paying for daughter’s education and PSLF.   I’m sure Dr. Don is thinking that already.

‘Dr. Don has first world problems. Currently maintains a highly conservative balance after ‘winning’ the real estate game and positioned to double down with that high cash balance. He continues playing the interest arbitrage credit card floats despite this and that’s fun to see him doing that 🙂

Like Johanna’s assessment, his largest benefit would come from optimization of his current assets and planned spends.

529 funding for the kids for both college and grad – every penny earned now — even if continued cash funds, is 2%+ tax free then it’s now sitting in taxable funds. One for each child and each parent front loading their funds.

DAF for ANY of the appreciated stocks (if any) since they tithe regularly.

Plan and protect current RE assets with planning for generational transfer. This is the probably the single largest benefit they can do for their kids beyond the straight funding of their education.

CYAI? Resounding yes. Optimize it for tax and wealth transfer—have opportunities there.’

#220321 Reply
    Liked by jfoxcpacfp
    Vagabond MD Vagabond MD 
    Participant

This is an easy one. He can afford it and should do it. QED

"Wealth is the slave of the wise man and the master of the fool.” -Seneca the Younger

#220334 Reply
    Liked by wonka31, Peds
    Participant

He has a net worth of 13-15 million now and plans to work another 21 years. Spending $800k on education is only 1 year of savings. In any circumstance, this is an estate planning scenario.

#220351 Reply
    Liked by Peds

Thanks for the summary Vagabond!
    I don’t feel compelled to drive any more traffic to that site.

#220353 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

Of course he can afford it. I bet he does not work 21 more years.

#220401 Reply
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

I just had to comment on the emergency fund. I don’t know what exactly to call what he has but it’s something much more than an emergency fund.

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#220463 Reply
    Participant

Why even mess with credit card or car loan when you have almost 2 mil in cash? I mean I know the math works out OK but just seems like hassle for little gain to me.

#220464 Reply
    Participant
    Yep, this week’s analysis is about a family physician who bases his financial decisions on gut instincts, has no 529s, kids 3 and 5 yrs away from graduating HS, AND who hopes to pay the full cost of college and med school for both. I’m not sure if the goal is as surprising as the facts of the case – see for yourself!

Click to expand…

When I read your intro… I thought “A typical FP doc makes about $250K… no way when they have not saved anything in 529!” Then read the story… wow… they have done very well.

#220465 Reply
    Participant

I think this is still an aggressive allocation at this age.

The liquid funds you need to net out in terms of asset allocation. He has 1.8M cash but 2M in loans. So his net cash position is 200k debt.

So his AA is (according to my reading):

Home : 2M (with mortgage 375k)

Real estate : 3.5M (with debt 1.5M)

Liquid assets 1.8M

Taxable brokerage : 250k

Other liabilities (auto, cc): 125k

Business: 4M

This to me is a more aggressive AA than a 110% index ETF allocation.

With property, you can be required to save a significant amount to fund a property so it can be lumpy and cash will often need to be accumulated.

As an example, I currently have 900k in cash equivalents in a retirement account. My plan is to buy a property with this at some stage. I have a loan on another property in my taxable account with 450k loan. So in my mind, my net cash position is 450k. This may seem like a lot, but it is less than 5% of assets. To me, my portfolio is more risky than a 100% ETF stock portfolio, despite what seems to be a large dollar amount in cash equivalents, due to the inherrently higher risk in the properties I have and also the undiversified risk. I would view the OP’s portfolio as possibly riskier than mine, although it depends on the nature of the business and real estate.

#220493 Reply
    Liked by Anne, q-school, hatton1
    Participant

Why even mess with credit card or car loan when you have almost 2 mil in cash? I mean I know the math works out OK but just seems like hassle for little gain to me.

Click to expand…

It’s like clipping coupons.   Hard habits on money savings are hard to break.

I continue to have to limit myself to do every credit card churn opportunity–it’s really easy free money to do during commercial breaks.

#220519 Reply
    CM CM 
    Participant
    our practice continues to grow pretty rapidly

Click to expand…

Congrats. Well deserved.

Erstwhile Dance Theatre of Dayton performer cum bellhop. Carried bags for Cyd Charisse (gracious). Hosted epic company parties after Friday night rehearsals.

#220521 Reply
    portlandia portlandia 
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

Congrats to the doc for his incredible financial success, especially as a FP.

The 800K for tuition represents only 5% of his gross income over the next 12 years, during which time he could cash flow this expenditure. Alternatively, he could set aside 6% of current net worth to pay future education costs. These percentages are a very small amount of his net income/wealth. So yeah, he can obviously afford it.

Ultimately this is not question about math, but of psychology and behavior. It is fascinating to ponder what drives a true one percenter, in both income and net worth, to ask the question in the first place?  Fear, ignorance, insecurity, something else? This is not to impugn the good doctor, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and that is what makes the question all the more curious. He doesn’t seem to be a miserly Scrooge McDuck type either, amassing money just for accumulation’s sake. After all, he gives generously, spends a lot, though not compared to his income, and invests the rest. Seems reasonable. It would be interesting to hear what he has to say about his motivations for the question.

#220525 Reply
    Liked by childay
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    Congrats. Well deserved.

Click to expand…

Awww – thanks!

#220645 Reply
    jfoxcpacfp jfoxcpacfp 
    When I read your intro… I thought “A typical FP doc makes about $250K… no way when they have not saved anything in 529!” Then read the story… wow… they have done very well.

Click to expand…

I know – pretty amazing, huh?

#220647 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB

Reply To: CYAI – It’s Back! Afford both college AND med school for the kids?

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear