Menu

Corporate Verizon/AT&T discounts

Home General/Welcome Corporate Verizon/AT&T discounts

Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I’m a partner in a fairly small group and we don’t qualify for any corporate employer cell phone discounts with AT&T or Verizon. Have any of you guys found a way to obtain the discount otherwise (AMA, national specialty societies, state medical associations, etc)? I have a hospital badge that says “contracted employee” so I’m not sure that will be adequate to obtain the hospital’s discounted rate.

And yes I am cheap.

#233822 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

I do not think they care.  Last time I moved I thought they would update this but they have not even asked me.  So I am still employed at my residency institution as far as Verizon knows.  My current gets the same discount so whatever.

I would just chance it with your badge.

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

#233830 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    Participant

The hospital or corporate badge has all that’s ever been needed for us

#233832 Reply
    Participant

AT&T verified me with my email address.  Despite this, it says I’m affiliate with Orlando Regional (which I’ve never been affiliated with).

#233853 Reply
    Participant

These are so easy to get. Do you have a hospital email address? I’m on my 14th year of my residency discount despite finishing a decade ago. All they care about is your email address.

#233857 Reply
    Participant

No hospital email address. I’ll try with the badge.

#233871 Reply
    Liked by G
    Participant

Why would you ever use AT&T or Verizon for wireless. If you are a true cheapskate like me, use a discount carrier. Mint Mobile is billed once per year $240 ($20 per month) for 8GB data per month. Signal has been good for me in every city I have visited (I’ve been around).  Number works international, just pay as you go (although a little pricy, but very convenient compared to getting local SIM – I’ve used in Mainland China, Indonesia, Canada, Taiwan, French Polynesia). Compare that to discount from major carriers with discount and you have at least a 60% savings. It you take Verizon abroad they charge some obscene daily fee regardless of use and you have to call and tell them.

One of the craziest thing to me that people spend their money on is traditional cell carriers.  In past there were some technical barriers but now you can just order SIM, put it in phone, and you are ready to go.

#233875 Reply
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Living rural does suck for that reason. Verizon is really the only reliable option. And even that is spotty.

#233905 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    Participant

Why would you ever use AT&T or Verizon for wireless. If you are a true cheapskate like me, use a discount carrier. Mint Mobile is billed once per year $240 ($20 per month) for 8GB data per month. Signal has been good for me in every city I have visited (I’ve been around).  Number works international, just pay as you go (although a little pricy, but very convenient compared to getting local SIM – I’ve used in Mainland China, Indonesia, Canada, Taiwan, French Polynesia). Compare that to discount from major carriers with discount and you have at least a 60% savings. It you take Verizon abroad they charge some obscene daily fee regardless of use and you have to call and tell them.

One of the craziest thing to me that people spend their money on is traditional cell carriers.  In past there were some technical barriers but now you can just order SIM, put it in phone, and you are ready to go.

Click to expand…

This is interesting. I will look into it. Though, I will probably just continue spending a fortune at Verizon.

😛

#233935 Reply
    Participant

Click to expand…

This is interesting. I will look into it. Though, I will probably just continue spending a fortune at Verizon.

😛

Click to expand…

It is not really going to make a major difference in financial life of someone with physician level income. But (100-20)*12 compounded over 20-30 years will replace at least a few months of income and it is a one time decision (as opposed to calling up verizon to get some small discount). When compared to buying too big of a house, deciding on HCOL v. LCOL, academic v. private practice; it is peanuts but it is an easy decision to make permanently.

#233998 Reply
    Participant
    No hospital email address. I’ll try with the badge.

Click to expand…

Used to work in the past for me when I got it through the hospital’s Verizon option. About 4 years later, while renewing they wanted conformation through the hospital email. Luckily I had that option.

Even with the 18 or 22% discount I was paying a ton for Verizon, for mainly 2 phones. I switched to T-Mobile and my costs dropped by 40% and I now have 4 phones with unlimited all. With international free data and text too.

Just make sure T-Mobile is there in your area and do cost comparison before jumping to Verizon or ATT. They still cost a lot and nickel and dime you.

#234006 Reply
    Liked by StarTrekDoc
    Participant

For those Verizon coverage junkies, look into redpockets mobile. Uses the same cell towers and is a fraction of the cost paid up front for 1 year of service (prepaid).

Mint mobile works great if T mobile gets good coverage in your area. I pay $180 per year for my cell service with no complaints, 3gb high speed data/month, unlimited talk and text and mobile hotspot capability.

Corporate discounts can’t touch the MVNO carriers

#234210 Reply
    Liked by AZPT
    Lordosis Lordosis 
    Participant

Our two phone’s service through Verizon is about $100 a month. The problem with the discount is that it only applies to a small portion of the bill.

#234234 Reply
    Liked by Tim
    Participant

So my wife and I switched to something called Visible (uses Verizon’s network). $40/mo each for unlimited everything (all taxes included). No contracts. I feel like a bit of a cheap skate but that is under half of what Verizon would have run us for the same plan.

If it ends up being a bust, we are not committed and will switch to Verizon I guess.

#235057 Reply
    Participant

Just switched to Verizon prepaid here. The 3GB per line plan (promotion to double to 6GB for life) ended up being $60 for 2 lines. I knock it down a bit more with prepaid refill cards off ebay, discounted about 33%, knocking us down to $40 total for 2 lines. Not a bad deal. If you can use wifi at home/work, you probably don’t need as much data as you think (unless you stream a lot of videos on cellular).

Visible seems like another great option, but lacks a few things like international roaming (not even optional). Definitely the best deal for unlimited on Verizon though. It’s actually not just on Verizon’s network, but owned by Verizon.

If the T-mobile network is good in your area (and where you travel), Mint Mobile is probably the best option. You have to pay for a year in advance to get the best price though.

#235194 Reply
    Liked by okayplayer

Reply To: Corporate Verizon/AT&T discounts

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear