Menu

Contributing to Solo 401k TD Ameritrade for first time

Home General Investing Contributing to Solo 401k TD Ameritrade for first time

Participant

I recently rolled over some funds from an IRA into a solo 401k that I opened because I have 1099 business and I wanted to be able to do a backdoor Roth.

I opened that Solo 401k with just my SS# as I was told that would be ok. This is the first time I’m funding that account with a check from earnings and just wanted to make sure i’m doing it correctly.

Can i just write a personal check from our checking account to TD Ameritrade with the Solo 401k account number on it and be good?

I plan to remove the 7.65% SE tax and about 3/4 of my average annual expenses to be safe and contribute again once I know my final taxable earning for 2019.

Thanks

#230659 Reply
    Participant

I opened that Solo 401k with just my SS# as I was told that would be ok.

Click to expand…

Are you doing business with your SSN (sole proprietor) or with an EIN (SP/LLC)? I would imagine you would use the same.

Can i just write a personal check from our checking account to TD Ameritrade with the Solo 401k account number on it and be good?

If you have a business account, transfer the money from there to keep things clean. If you don’t, can use a personal account. Why a check? I do Electronic funds transfer for everything of this nature.

I plan to remove the 7.65% SE tax and about 3/4 of my average annual expenses to be safe and contribute again once I know my final taxable earning for 2019.

You can contribute on any schedule, if you are not paying trading fees: biweekly, monthly, q3/6 months. Use an online calculator to calculate contribution amount. I find the Oblivious Investor Solo 401k calculator pretty accurate. It is better to undershoot that overshoot. Remember, contributon deadline for 2019 is all the way upto Apr 15, 2020- so you can make up any shortfall.

Blogging and videocasting about the basics of personal finance at http://physicianfinancebasics.com

#230670 Reply

Reply To: Contributing to Solo 401k TD Ameritrade for first time

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear