Menu

Considering a change to Pharma for career satisfaction

Home General/Welcome Considering a change to Pharma for career satisfaction

Participant

what do you mean by program development, like you find an area that you feel is a problem ( lets say veteran’s mental health and access to care) and then you design a program to increase utilization and improve outcomes?

I guess I don’t see how you will find the same thing in pharma, I doubt you’re going to be the one like pushing for new drugs or etc.

maybe a new job with a psych department that needs an overhaul where you can lead the way?

#239693 Reply
    Participant

Sounds like you should start your own practice

Click to expand…

Its definitely a good thought.

#239707 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Participant

Your 28 and 3 years post residency?

Click to expand…

No, I’m 31.

#239708 Reply
    Participant

Just like there no “one size fits all” in academia, Each company has its own personality and culture. The only way that you can truly know if it’s for you is to take a look at the opportunity and then consider your decision based on pros/cons. It’s not like once you go to pharma you can’t go back to academia, people do that—the reason they don’t do it more often is that they end up enjoying some of the perks more (e.g. better regular hours working in pharma vs academic practices). Good luck!

#239721 Reply
    Participant

What about academics? I know the institution I just left would love someone like you. They are constantly asking and looking for ideas to increase access and revenue and let the docs just run with the ideas (I’m also psych).

#239728 Reply
    Participant

Based on your description, it sounds like your current institution simply isn’t supportive of the work you’ve done. If you were in my department (medicine subspecialty at large academic State U), you would likely have been given a “directorship” title and would be pursuing the MBA offered by our hospitals joint program with our business school. Remember the first of Simone’s Maxims, your institution does not love you. If you don’t know what I’m talking about look it up!

My advice? Find another institution, or leave for this pharma job. I’ve had many colleagues leave for big pharma with varying success, no way to know until you try it. Plus, and this is not meant to be an insult, but as someone in psych, I would assume it would be easy to work in a non-clinical role for a few years and return to clinical medicine should you decide to do so. The field just isn’t advancing as quickly as others, and you don’t have physical skills that need to be kept sharp. If you take the pharma job I would definitely keep your board certification and medical license up to date.

Best of luck.

#239733 Reply
    Participant
    Splash Refinancing Bonus

I have no idea from what you wrote what your actual goals and interests are. What are you trying to accomplish? What does your ideal work day look like? Is it important to practice psychiatry? Why do you need an organization at all? If you are enterprising, would you want to start your own mental health organization, and hire people to provide a range of mental health services? Is it important to you to write? To do research? Hard to give advice without knowing more about what your ultimate goals are.

#239735 Reply
    Participant

I don’t think Pharma might be a fit for you.

Basically the hospital is not taking you serious because you don’t have a MBA and leadership experience. You need to get an MBA if you want to do what you like, get appreciated and get paid for it

#239742 Reply
    Liked by hatton1
    Lithium Lithium 
    Participant

FIREshrink might have some good input here.  There are large organizations with overarching behavioral health programs led by psychiatrists.  I work for one of them (PM me if you’d like details).  However, that comes with all the political and managerial headaches of working in administration for a large healthcare institution.  I couldn’t deal with that for all the money in the world.

#239747 Reply
    Participant

I don’t think Pharma might be a fit for you.

Basically the hospital is not taking you serious because you don’t have a MBA and leadership experience. You need to get an MBA if you want to do what you like, get appreciated and get paid for it

Click to expand…

My concern is that you might be rubbing people the wrong way…. you sound like you are a “go-getter” but do you have the emotional intelligence to be in leadership? Do you influence people and they want to follow you? Or are they turned off because you are overbearing?

I’m not trying to be mean at all… but if you want to be an effective leader, this is one of the best skills to have. Maybe start working with an executive coach to help you with these skills. Guide you to being a more well received leader. I know in my institution, we covet physician leaders. They are the bomb! But most don’t have the desire or leadership skills… so when we find one, we honor them and pay them well.

I think you don’t need to go to Pharma (so young to quit clinical medicine, so if you do, continue as a locums to keep up your skills) but instead need to develop your skills and find an organization who values physician leaders.

#239762 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Kamban
    Participant

You might have a look at my first post here to trebizond re careers in pharma as generic observations. Odd that these two posts are back to back for the moment. We are seeing increased applications to jobs in pharma, probably reflecting the dilemmas facing you and trbizond.

Your reason to contemplate a career in pharma is probably a high risk comment, Your initial post only refers to a recent contact from a head hunter as a reason to consider. While I will hazard a guess that almost no one goes to medical school to get a job in Pharma, the journey to these jobs is far more thoughtful than “a head hunter contacted me.” I doubt you would be looked at favorably by most companies if they saw your opening post. It shows no evidence that you have actually considered what the career would be. It is all “push” and no “pull.”

In the spirit of The White Coat Investor, perhaps it might be worth contemplating the role of head hunters in our career paths. I find them to be like insurance agents or real estate agents. They are not really in this for you. Their sole interest is to have someone move form one place to another. That is the only way they will get paid. They are not career counselors. Their only interest is in the deal, not the people.

That does not mean they are not very valuable. They are. But a visit from a head hunter is not a good start to ask whether you should change to Pharma for career satisfaction. Pharma careers have very clear objectives and your answers do not show much interest in what we do in developing drugs.

Just asking for some self reflection and testing of motivation.

#239983 Reply
    q-school q-school 
    Participant

from your previous posts, you make a good living and seem to have plenty of free time.  i think you are underestimating the benefits of your current job for whatever reason.  i agree with the others that, respectfully, as presented it seems more a rash thought than a well formulated plan.   what kept you from pursuing a job initially that more clearly offered you opportunities in these areas?

at age 31, it is still possible to be mature and yet impatient compared to your future self at age 40.  do you have a five year career plan?  ten year?   perhaps spend a little time pondering what will make you happiest, and how you will get there.  although you are well on your way to FI, you are not actually there yet.  if you stay in your current job ten years, you will likely truly be free to pursue anything you want.  are you willing to give up that bird in the hand?  especially if you choose to have kids.  your priorities may evolve over time.  you truly cannot see it working out at your current location?  how about changing jobs less dramatically?

its hard to imagine big pharma doesn’t have deadline pressures and budget pressures.  i would imagine you are trading some job security as well, but that might not matter to you if you can simply return to clinical practice.

as always, good luck to you.

i hope you can find professional satisfaction and happiness.  it’s a constant struggle for human beings.  they did a satisfaction curve internally amongst physicians.  basically the happiest were less than five years out and those five years from retirement.  everyone else was in the dumps.  change in medicine are really, really affecting professional satisfaction among the middle aged.

u shaped curve.  🙂

#240134 Reply
    Liked by hatton1, Anne
    Participant
    Remember the first of Simone’s Maxims, your institution does not love you. If you don’t know what I’m talking about look it up!

Click to expand…

Great read. Thank you.

http://www.simoneconsulting.com/PDF/understanding.pdf

#241241 Reply
    Participant
    Based on your description, it sounds like your current institution simply isn’t supportive of the work you’ve done.

Click to expand…
    I have no idea from what you wrote what your actual goals and interests are. What are you trying to accomplish? What does your ideal work day look like?

Click to expand…
    My concern is that you might be rubbing people the wrong way…. you sound like you are a “go-getter” but do you have the emotional intelligence to be in leadership? Do you influence people and they want to follow you? Or are they turned off because you are overbearing? I’m not trying to be mean at all… but if you want to be an effective leader, this is one of the best skills to have. Maybe start working with an executive coach to help you with these skills. Guide you to being a more well received leader. I know in my institution, we covet physician leaders. They are the bomb! But most don’t have the desire or leadership skills… so when we find one, we honor them and pay them well.

Click to expand…

I hear you saying you want to do something else, and the institution doesn’t value what you want to build. I’d interview elsewhere. There are lots of companies, care facilities, and institutions. Find one that better fits with you. Sure go interview with pharma, but I’d expect they have a very clear hole they intend to plug you into… Not as likely a hole you’ll get to create and build yourself. But go learn about other things.

#241244 Reply
    Liked by SLC OB
    nachos31 nachos31 

Can you separate the two—cut back a little at this job to continue pt care (if you still enjoy it), and then direct your energies/interests (and now extra time) towards an unrelated endeavor more in programmatic development, etc?

#241346 Reply

Reply To: Considering a change to Pharma for career satisfaction

This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear