Menu

car-savvy advice, please

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting car-savvy advice, please

Participant
    Earnest refinancing bonus
    I’m pretty darn cheap and not a car person, but if I have to spend the money to get my kids a tank to drive, I will.

Click to expand…

that said, we do have a neighbor who bought thier daughter a cheap Nissan Leaf. Range ~100 miles. She can’t get too far away! And they have free chargers at the mall and at Costco (free samples!) Some kids would love that!

#205952 Reply
    Participant

Happy medium. I wouldn’t get them a 200k car but I wouldn’t get them a new car. Get something 5-10 years old with 50- 75k miles. Like a Honda crv or something.

#205964 Reply
    Participant

I can’t recall ever hearing a dangerous situation due to a bad diff, the mechanic could just be trying to get your business, but depends on what’s wrong I guess.  Once the diff is fixed, if there’s no other issues, I don’t see anything wrong with putting a kid behind the wheel.  The likelihood of something dangerously catastrophic happening is just as likely as it happening to any other car.  If they drive it and get stranded, get them AAA and it’ll be a good life lesson for them.  I dealt with that multiple times as a teen driver.  A van can be awesome for driving around friends, though not the coolest.  You decide what you’d rather do, give up your van and get yourself something new to drive, or drive the van and give your kid something used, can’t go wrong either way once the van is fixed.

#205965 Reply
    Participant
    medical school scholarship sponsor

Thank you all for the excellent advice, and especially the assurance that the van is elderly but not dangerous (or no more so than any other car).

I’m sticking to the plan of turning her into the teen car and getting something smaller for myself in a few years. The kids only have to drive within a small radius, so a breakdown would just be good life experience.

I have thought about the possibility of kids fooling around in the back (I don’t want them to get THAT much life experience, yet). I’m counting on the total uncoolness of an old minivan as a deterrent. Parents of older teens, please don’t burst my bubble.

Thanks again.

Career and finance for PCPs at ADoctorsWorth.com

#205989 Reply
    Liked by Craigy, adventure
    CordMcNally CordMcNally 
    Participant

You don’t think teenagers can’t/won’t find a way to fool around in any other kind of vehicle?

“But investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.”
    ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

#205990 Reply
    Participant

Great. Instead of worrying that my kid will die in a fiery crash, I will worry that someone will get knocked up in the back of my car.

NOT HELPFUL MCNALLY😂😂😂

Participant

Your current ‘deal’ of a car is a money pit. Your cost of ownership on something newer, but used with miles on it, will be about the same as that pile of junk. maybe even less after factoring in the inconvenience, time, and loss of use costs related to your current clunker.

Fine line between frugal and cheap.

Buy a newer car.

#205996 Reply
    Participant

“I will worry that someone will get knocked up in the back of my car.
    NOT HELPFUL MCNALLY😂😂😂“

Hmmm. You might ask your insurance agent. Would knock up coverage fall under auto, gen liab, or umbrella?
    Was your child a participant or just the driver? Just remember that when your kid is a passenger too, every practice they go to.
    There is a point. Your protective instincts are natural. Deal with it rationally if you can.

#206016 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant
    That said, life is too short, your kids are too valuable, you make too much money to have your family at risk of being stranded on the side of the highway, in a bad part of town, etc. 

Click to expand…

I disagree. Life is about adventure. A young driver is also likely to run out of gas on the highway, or some other stupid thing.

Now, if you all made it to 30 without every running out of gas, or getting stuck in a ditch, or hitting a mailbox, or getting pulled over, or having a flat tire – then we should have a thread on how do make that happen – I’d be very interested. : )

Click to expand…

Inconvenience, risk =/= adventure.  At least not when it comes to automotive breakdowns.  🙂

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#206037 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Thank you all for the excellent advice, and especially the assurance that the van is elderly but not dangerous (or no more so than any other car).

I’m sticking to the plan of turning her into the teen car and getting something smaller for myself in a few years. The kids only have to drive within a small radius, so a breakdown would just be good life experience.

I have thought about the possibility of kids fooling around in the back (I don’t want them to get THAT much life experience, yet). I’m counting on the total uncoolness of an old minivan as a deterrent. Parents of older teens, please don’t burst my bubble.

Thanks again.

Click to expand…

As someone who went to high school, any minivan driven by a teenage boy has about a 95% chance of being called the shaggin wagon.  😆

“I will worry that someone will get knocked up in the back of my car.
    NOT HELPFUL MCNALLY😂😂😂

Hmmm. You might ask your insurance agent. Would knock up coverage fall under auto, gen liab, or umbrella?
    Was your child a participant or just the driver? Just remember that when your kid is a passenger too, every practice they go to.
    There is a point. Your protective instincts are natural. Deal with it rationally if you can.

Click to expand…

I think you could make a solid case for loss/bodily injury/medical payments resulting from owning or using a covered automobile.  😆

Someone slick enough could probably get garnished child support payments declared as lost wages too.  😀

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#206096 Reply
    Participant

The better plan from a safety standpoint is to put the teen in a newer (doesn’t have to be brand new) vehicle and for you to continue to drive the beater.  Inexperienced drivers, even the conscientious ones, are simply more likely to be involved in a collision than very experienced drivers are, and therefore benefit more from the improved safety features in a newer vehicle.

#206113 Reply
    Participant

For teenagers, I like the idea of a base model, 3 year old Camry with a tow bar on it (to slow it down even further). The safety developments in cars in the last 10 years are significant and maybe of use to early drivers. One thing I would insist on is that they do a driver safety course before they get the car.

If only I had a van when I first met my wife. As a teenager, maybe not such a good idea. Would you leave condoms in the back or just not worry about it ?

#206317 Reply
    hatton1 hatton1 
    Participant

I think the OPs daughter is safer as the driver rather than a passenger in the mini-van.

#206348 Reply
    Participant

Update: took the van for a second opinion from someone we have known for years. He is going to turn it into a road-worthy FWD for $400.

The kids will have a beater to drive around town for a few years. And I am used car shopping. 😊

#207592 Reply

Reply To: car-savvy advice, please

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear