Menu

Car advice – new attending – what to buy?

Home Personal Finance and Budgeting Car advice – new attending – what to buy?

•  Peds 
    Participant
    early retirement for doctors

Go with a Chevy Bolt.

Click to expand…

nm, read volt.

i second, go for bolt or leaf!

#169829 Reply
    smartmoneymd smartmoneymd 
    Participant

If you’re not a car guy, then go for what is most common (read: boring).  This means buying something that very low maintenance to zero maintenance.  That means the CRV that you have already is a great car that saves a ton of gas (CVT transmission).  Accords, Camry’s, Prius’s…all of the common stuff.

Subaru’s are amazing, but require a moderate amount of maintenance that will add up over time if you don’t know how to do any of the maintenance yourself (shameless plug on my website that I’ve written about). The flat boxer engine requires some more involved maintenance around 10 years if you intend to keep the car for that long.

On the flip side, as a new attending with that much earning firepower, there is nothing wrong with getting a reliable premium car (ie Lexus/Acura…etc)

#169854 Reply
     GoBlueMD 
    Participant

Do it. Make us proud.

#169859 Reply
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

If you want to keep it forever, the answers are only Honda or Toyota.

If you don’t want an SUV, the answers are only Accord or Camry.

If you don’t want something horribly ugly (sorry 2018+ Accord owners), the remaining answer is Camry.

IMO:  Buy new, savings on a used Camry aren’t worth it, especially if you can shop hard and get a good deal.  Don’t get a hybrid, the break-even cost wise never really happens.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#169870 Reply
    Liked by Firefly, RosieQ
    DMFA DMFA 

If you don’t want something horribly ugly (sorry 2018+ Accord owners), the remaining answer is Camry.

IMO:  Buy new, savings on a used Camry aren’t worth it, especially if you can shop hard and get a good deal.  Don’t get a hybrid, the break-even cost wise never really happens.

Click to expand…

2018 Accord looks better than the 2018 Camry.  I like the “fastback” design like the Audi A7, but not quite as tapered.  Camry is a bit boxy and that stupid Entune software in the dash sucks…gotta have Android Auto or CarPlay.  But those are pure opinion; it’s OK to disagree with me.

I’m driving about 80 mi/day in California, so the hybrid does actually help me a bit.  I get about 44 mpg, which is about 10 mpg better than the all-gas, and with gas being about $3.30/gal out here, that’s about 3.3 $/1 gal * 1 gal/44 mi = 0.075 $/mi vs 3.3 $/1 gal * 1 gal/34 mi = 0.097 $/mi, or 2.2 cents/mile.  At 400 mi/wk, that’s $8.80/wk or $38.13/mo, which financed over 60 months at 3% is a purchase price difference of $2,122 assuming it’s only owned for 5 years.

The longer you own the car, assuming the electric motor isn’t the source of any additional needed repairs which the gas motor isn’t at fault, assuming 15,000 mi/year, you’d save another $330/yr in gas at that spread assuming price stays the same, obv more if it gets more expensive and vice versa.  The other thing to hybrids is that their city mileage, without needing much acceleration and with frequent regenerative braking, is actually better than highway mileage unlike full-gas engines, so if you’re driving lots of city miles, the hybrid will have a slightly higher advantage…but it’s going to take a pretty narrow cost spread – prob no more than $3-4K – to make the hybrid more “worth it.”

Some models have the same price for a hybrid as the full-gas, like the Fusion/MK-Z, where your only decision is power vs efficiency.

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#169913 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
    Craigy Craigy 
    Participant

Click to expand…

2018 Accord looks better than the 2018 Camry.  I like the “fastback” design like the Audi A7, but not quite as tapered.  Camry is a bit boxy and that stupid Entune software in the dash sucks…gotta have Android Auto or CarPlay.  But those are pure opinion; it’s OK to disagree with me.

I’m driving about 80 mi/day in California, so the hybrid does actually help me a bit.  I get about 44 mpg, which is about 10 mpg better than the all-gas, and with gas being about $3.30/gal out here, that’s about 3.3 $/1 gal * 1 gal/44 mi = 0.075 $/mi vs 3.3 $/1 gal * 1 gal/34 mi = 0.097 $/mi, or 2.2 cents/mile.  At 400 mi/wk, that’s $8.80/wk or $38.13/mo, which financed over 60 months at 3% is a purchase price difference of $2,122 assuming it’s only owned for 5 years.

The longer you own the car, assuming the electric motor isn’t the source of any additional needed repairs which the gas motor isn’t at fault, assuming 15,000 mi/year, you’d save another $330/yr in gas at that spread assuming price stays the same, obv more if it gets more expensive and vice versa.  The other thing to hybrids is that their city mileage, without needing much acceleration and with frequent regenerative braking, is actually better than highway mileage unlike full-gas engines, so if you’re driving lots of city miles, the hybrid will have a slightly higher advantage…but it’s going to take a pretty narrow cost spread – prob no more than $3-4K – to make the hybrid more “worth it.”

Some models have the same price for a hybrid as the full-gas, like the Fusion/MK-Z, where your only decision is power vs efficiency.

Click to expand…

Agree, entune is pretty awful.

But you are dead wrong on the Accord being better looking.   😆  😉

400 mi/week is a lot of driving, but yeah this boils down to the driver’s particular situation, particular car, math.

Another thing to consider is that occasionally the hybrid model takes premium while the non-hybrid takes regular.  Around here that’s about 70 cents/gallon difference and can wipe out the fuel savings altogether.  I don’t believe that applies to the Honda or Toyota though.

LEVEL 1 WCI FORUM MEMBER.

#169923 Reply
    NaOH NaOH 
    Participant

Do it. Make us proud.

Click to expand…

#YOLO

If you don’t want something horribly ugly (sorry 2018+ Accord owners)

Click to expand…

Them’s fightin’ words.

"Don't fear failure - not failure, but low aim, is the crime.
    In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

#169956 Reply
    Liked by Tim, Craigy
     Dr P 
    Participant

My vote is a Toyota. I just passed the ten year mark on my Corolla and plan on driving it for as many years as it’ll last.
    Even though I like the idea of driving a Tesla, I like traveling more.

#169965 Reply
    Liked by Craigy
     Anne 
    Participant

Only problem with Accords is that they just won’t die.  So if you are the type that likes to drive cars into the ground, make sure you like it, because you are going to have it for a very long time.

#169968 Reply
    Liked by Kamban, Tim, Craigy, Firefly
     Doc Spouse 

I love Toyota, but I’m not seeing much love for Ford here; so thought I’d throw this one out for you – Our current car is a 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid and we love the thing.  It’s got all the bells and whistles, a tank of gas lasts 2-3 weeks with an everyday commute, costs less than $30 to fill up if we use our grocery store’s gas station, and the price was under $30k brand new back in 2012.  It’s six years old now and still going strong.

No idea if the current crop is as good as back then, but I was a die-hard Toyota owner before this, and now I’ll at least look at Ford again when we need a new car.

#170122 Reply
     Peds 
    Participant

I love Toyota, but I’m not seeing much love for Ford here; so thought I’d throw this one out for you – Our current car is a 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid and we love the thing.  It’s got all the bells and whistles, a tank of gas lasts 2-3 weeks with an everyday commute, costs less than $30 to fill up if we use our grocery store’s gas station, and the price was under $30k brand new back in 2012.  It’s six years old now and still going strong.

No idea if the current crop is as good as back then, but I was a die-hard Toyota owner before this, and now I’ll at least look at Ford again when we need a new car.

Click to expand…

i mean, i wouldn’t….since support is kinda gonna be lacking.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cars-being-discontinued-in-2018-2019-2020-2018-8

#170130 Reply
    Liked by Doc Spouse
     Doc Spouse 

https://www.businessinsider.com/cars-being-discontinued-in-2018-2019-2020-2018-8

Click to expand…

Bah!  Figures….

#170134 Reply
    DMFA DMFA 
    Fundrise eREIT

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Wow, zero sedans, just a Focus hatchback and the ‘Stang?  I can’t imagine that includes Lincolns, too…

"I like money." - Frito Pendejo (Idiocracy)

[Not a financial professional (yet), lawyer, or employee of The White Coat Investor]

#170136 Reply
     childay 
    Participant

Please don’t buy a prius.

Check out the toyota avalon and the lexus ES.  You could also get a few years used for some savings.  We have a few years old ES350, super reliable and spouse likes the heated everything..

Admission, somewhat of a car guy.  Also, man both my recommendations are pretty ugly in recent years (OMG the grills).  But since you don’t want something flashy..

#170192 Reply
     Kamban 
    Participant
    IMO: Buy new, savings on a used Camry aren’t worth it, especially if you can shop hard and get a good deal.

Click to expand…

Agree. You like to run it to the ground. So buy new. Used Honda and Toyota are not that much depreciated to buy used. Pay a bit more and buy new and use for 10+ years. I have a 18 year Accord and 11 year Camry Hybrid and both run very well. I even like the Hybrid more than the 2017 Acura MDX Hybrid we have.

Don’t go for Volvo, Audi, Mercedes or BMW or Porsche. You are not a car guy and these cars bleed money in maintenance, repairs and parts.

#170194 Reply
    Liked by Craigy

Reply To: Car advice – new attending – what to buy?

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

you're currently offline

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear