Menu

Cameras

Home The Lounge Cameras

• Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Fuji has a great line of lenses, and Im sure sony I imagine has a ton of lenses available. Maybe not a prime at each perfect distance, but I know fuji has nearly everything you’d want.

You dont shoot any raw? Even if I only used jpeg I think I’d keep the raw just in case, SD cards are cheap.

Theres no point in SLR systems, makes no sense but people have a lot of gear still and its very expensive so I get why they dont change, but man, they are massive.

#227117 Reply
    Participant

I have switched to an Olympus micro four thirds mirrorless setup. Two camera bodies and 4-5 lenses weigh less than one DLSR body and a couple lenses. The picture quality is comparable, although I’d give a slight nod to the Nikon for autofocus with moving children.

Click to expand…

I love, love, love my Olympus OMD EM5 and OMD EM1!  Mirrorless systems. IMHO, are the perfect travel cameras, as you can fit two bodies and several lenses in a bag that will fit under an airplane seat.

#227149 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Participant

Theres no point in SLR systems, makes no sense but people have a lot of gear still and its very expensive so I get why they dont change, but man, they are massive.

Click to expand…

This is the situation for me. I am not going to replace expensive f/2.8 zoom lenses just to go mirrorless where the mirrorless lenses are more expensive and not that much different in weight ( if we compare same f/2.8 to f/2.8 and lenses for full frame mirrorless sensor to full frame dslr sensor). Stick such lenses or even regular lenses with adapters onto a tiny mirrorless bodies and they become front heavy. The EVF eats up batteries and I hate lugging batteries.

My compromise – unless I am going on a safari where I carry 2 bodies and tele zooms, I now travel with just one Nikon body and one lens, most like 24-120/f4. Quite compact and easy to carry. I always have an old mirrorless and the android phone as standby in case the dSLR breaks down

#227188 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    Neuro Neuro 
    Participant

Same here. If I am caring my Nikon FF, its with the 24-120/F4 and a prime for evenings and low light.

#227210 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

This is the situation for me. I am not going to replace expensive f/2.8 zoom lenses just to go mirrorless where the mirrorless lenses are more expensive and not that much different in weight ( if we compare same f/2.8 to f/2.8 and lenses for full frame mirrorless sensor to full frame dslr sensor). Stick such lenses or even regular lenses with adapters onto a tiny mirrorless bodies and they become front heavy. The EVF eats up batteries and I hate lugging batteries.

My compromise – unless I am going on a safari where I carry 2 bodies and tele zooms, I now travel with just one Nikon body and one lens, most like 24-120/f4. Quite compact and easy to carry. I always have an old mirrorless and the android phone as standby in case the dSLR breaks down

Click to expand…

I’d like to switch to Sony personally, but same reasoning sunk costs, that and the differences dont justify it. Also havent been shooting much lately.

#227265 Reply
    Liked by Kamban
    Participant

I still carry around a full frame dSLR setup with lenses, filters and tripods on trips because my goal with photography is making prints. Cell phone quality still doesn’t cut it for that purpose. However, for every day shots and just memory capturing, I have become increasingly comfortable just relying on phones for that

The future of phone photography is really promising. Pixel 3 and Huawei P30 pro cameras are amazing. iPhones have been lagging behind in recent years.

#227384 Reply
    Liked by Anne
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the cost, hassle of having more to carry, etc.

#227665 Reply
    Participant

I took some photography classes in college, with an old (film) SLR, enjoyed the technical part, developing my own film, etc., but was glad to switch to dSLR.  Now I find it too much to pack when traveling but still enjoy shooting at home.  iPhone ok for travel shots but agree not for prints and I would like to get back into that when traveling.  I will look into mirrorless, thanks everyone for the recs.

#227686 Reply
    Liked by Zaphod
    fatlittlepig fatlittlepig 
    Participant

I still carry around a full frame dSLR setup with lenses, filters and tripods on trips because my goal with photography is making prints. Cell phone quality still doesn’t cut it for that purpose. However, for every day shots and just memory capturing, I have become increasingly comfortable just relying on phones for that

The future of phone photography is really promising. Pixel 3 and Huawei P30 pro cameras are amazing. iPhones have been lagging behind in recent years.

Click to expand…

Thanks, Your post prompted me to look up the Huawei P30 Pro camera, very impressive.

#227695 Reply
    Participant

Totally agree with FLP, my Nikon D850, will be my last SLR.  Mirrorless is the way to go in the future.  The problem is, currently mirrorless has few options of lens available.

Click to expand…

I actually feel bad when I see people with the huge dslr set ups. I don’t think they realize how much the technology with mirrorless has advanced, I was skeptical of mirrorless but soon realized the image quality and versatility is very similar or exceeds the dslr and with added benefit of seeing the exposure live. I used to shoot all raw but I’ve gone to all jpeg, the hassle of raw just not worth it now. I think there’s a way to upload photos directly from the a6300 to google photos but I haven’t done it yet.

Click to expand…

Is mirrorless good for close ups of wildlife? I’m finding that I am happy with my iPhone and/or pocket camera (Canon Powershot s95) for 95%+ of shots. It’s really when I’m try to take a shot of a bird or fox or something from a distance that I find I wish I had a DSLR. Would a mirrorless match well with a DSLR in that regard?

#227888 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Totally agree with FLP, my Nikon D850, will be my last SLR.  Mirrorless is the way to go in the future.  The problem is, currently mirrorless has few options of lens available.

Click to expand…

I actually feel bad when I see people with the huge dslr set ups. I don’t think they realize how much the technology with mirrorless has advanced, I was skeptical of mirrorless but soon realized the image quality and versatility is very similar or exceeds the dslr and with added benefit of seeing the exposure live. I used to shoot all raw but I’ve gone to all jpeg, the hassle of raw just not worth it now. I think there’s a way to upload photos directly from the a6300 to google photos but I haven’t done it yet.

Click to expand…

Is mirrorless good for close ups of wildlife? I’m finding that I am happy with my iPhone and/or pocket camera (Canon Powershot s95) for 95%+ of shots. It’s really when I’m try to take a shot of a bird or fox or something from a distance that I find I wish I had a DSLR. Would a mirrorless match well with a DSLR in that regard?

Click to expand…

Yes, the only difference is theres no mirror which technically doesnt matter anymore. This was just used to put the shot into the viewfinder to preview it. Most people do not do this anymore, they use the back screen (though not all are representations of actual photo). Probably better for wildlife as it can be completely silent instead of that clicking from the mirror.

#227899 Reply
    Liked by q-school
    Participant

Click to expand…

1. Mirrorless is just an SLR without the mirror. So you don’t see the actual light coming from the lens reflected off a mirror. Instead you either look at the LCD screen on the back of the camera or have a electronic view finder attached if you want to use it like SLR. But these use up batteries fast.

2. Mirrorless bodies weigh much less and are more compact than SLR because all that space and weight of the mirror apparatus is gone.

3. But laws of physics don’t change. If you compare lenses of the same maximal aperture (f-stop) for the same sensor size they weigh the same. If at a minimum you need a 70-200 mm/f2.8 zoom for your Sony full frame mirrorless it weighs 1480 g. The same for a Nikon full grame dslr weight nearly the same 1430 g.

4. If you want compact mirrorless you can do one of two things  – either go for a smaller sensor size like the Fuji crop sensor or even smaller like the micro 4/3 Olympus so that the lenses are smaller or you can use smaller max aperture like f/4 or even f/4-5.6. But then the same things can also be done with a dslr.

https://www.adorama.com/iso70200gm.html

https://www.adorama.com/nk7020028.html

#228392 Reply
    Zaphod Zaphod 
    Participant

Click to expand…

1. Mirrorless is just an SLR without the mirror. So you don’t see the actual light coming from the lens reflected off a mirror. Instead you either look at the LCD screen on the back of the camera or have a electronic view finder attached if you want to use it like SLR. But these use up batteries fast.

2. Mirrorless bodies weigh much less and are more compact than SLR because all that space and weight of the mirror apparatus is gone.

3. But laws of physics don’t change. If you compare lenses of the same maximal aperture (f-stop) for the same sensor size they weigh the same. If at a minimum you need a 70-200 mm/f2.88 zoom for your Sony full frame mirrorless it weighs 1780 g. The same for a Nikon full grame dslr weight the same 1738 g.

4. If you want compact mirrorless you can do one of two things  – either go for a smaller sensor size like the Fuji crop sensor or even smaller like the micro 4/3 Olympus so that the lenses or smaller or you can use smaller max aperture like f/4 or even f/4-5.6. But then the same things can also be done with a dslr.

https://www.adorama.com/iso70200gm.html

https://www.adorama.com/nk7020028.html

Click to expand…

Yeah, bodies dont matter for much once lenses are considered. Not worth worrying about.

I wouldnt suggest anyone get a micro 4/3, I think its being discontinued and unsupported going forward.

#228402 Reply
    Participant

I wouldnt suggest anyone get a micro 4/3, I think its being discontinued and unsupported going forward.

Click to expand…

Olympus and Panasonic are still committed to supporting micro 4/3s for at least the immediate future, and micro 4/3s has by far the most complete lineup of lenses (mostly high quality) of any of the mirrorless setups.  But in the very long term it’s hard to know which of the many mirrorless systems will survive.  They are all “buy at your own risk” systems.

#228501 Reply
    Participant

I’m looking between Fujifilm X-T3 and Nikon Z6, cost lumped into overall vacation budget. Still going back and forth if worth it.

#228511 Reply

Reply To: Cameras

In case of a glitch or error, please save your text elsewhere, clear browser cache, close browser, open browser and refresh the page.

Notifications Mark all as read  |  Clear